Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Urban Meyer admits to running up score on purpose to get into playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Urban Meyer admits to running up score on purpose to get into playoffs

Oct 21, 2019, 9:31 AM

59-0 against Wisconsin (2014).

Said he did it to jump TCU Baylor.

Also said there needs to be a points system instead of eye test.

Ex: beat a top 25 team, get points etc.

That system would destroy Clemson chances because the SEC and BIG10 are always way over inflated before the season. Those teams would have “top 25” wins every week.

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/urban-meyer-ohio-state-florida-football-coach-college-football-playoff-committee-new-criteria-137281707/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo did the same thing

Oct 21, 2019, 9:35 AM

running up the score on the Buckeyes 31-0 so Clemson would make the CFP Finals.

Nice+1***

Oct 21, 2019, 9:38 AM

Re: Dabo did the same thing

Oct 21, 2019, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Dabo did the same thing ]

All we had to to do was win the game to make the CFP finals. Even if we had 3-0 we would have made the finals. The winner moves on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 10:22 AM

Really?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the joke

Oct 21, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo did the same thing ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's the joke

Oct 21, 2019, 11:29 AM

YeahI think that one hit the wall directly behind him.lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo did the same thing ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Oct 21, 2019, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo did the same thing ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Honestly, I'm somewhat at a loss...

Oct 21, 2019, 9:39 AM

...as to why people think the system needs revision.

Maybe 2 teams over the 5 years of CFP existence have a semi-legit complaint about being excluded, but generally isn't it agreed that the committee has been getting the teams right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The people who legit believe that an undefeated power 5

Oct 21, 2019, 9:44 AM

champion would be left out in favor of a 1 loss team need there heads examined. It's just not gonna happen. I don't want to hear any scenarios. It especially won't happen to Clemson. But it wouldn't happen to anyone, even a Washington.

Agreed.***

Oct 21, 2019, 9:46 AM

Unless your name is Notre Dame, or if each conference

Oct 21, 2019, 4:04 PM [ in reply to The people who legit believe that an undefeated power 5 ]

manages to have an undefeated team all at once, it's not a big worry.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I completely agree. I keep hearing all this talk about

Oct 21, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Honestly, I'm somewhat at a loss... ]

expansion/revision, but there has consistently been a consensus that the committee has gotten it right each year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed

Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 AM

If anything there can be a question as to whether they have seeded the teams the best (as no #1 team has ever won it), but generally they get the right teams and give the teams a chance to prove it on the field.

Ohio St last year was a 1 loss conf champ

Oct 21, 2019, 10:16 AM [ in reply to I completely agree. I keep hearing all this talk about ]

ND was undefeated but didn't have to win a conference championship game. okie's loss might not have been as bad, but a loss is a loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND clearly plays a P5 level schedule

Oct 21, 2019, 10:26 AM

Throw in another cupcake in there and they have their 12th win, does that matter?

(and lest we forget they beat the team we played in the conference championship earlier in the year).

As for OHST vs OK, when you're sorting/ranking one loss teams there's a million metrics you can use, but I don't really feel the need to get worked up (not saying you are) about how teams with a loss are ranked. Last year there were 3 teams that absolutely had to be in... ND, Bama, and us. The 4th team was required to have to CFP and you could coin flip between OK and OHST.

Re: I completely agree. I keep hearing all this talk about

Oct 21, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to I completely agree. I keep hearing all this talk about ]

Agreed. But eventually there will come a time when there will be 5+ undefeated teams as well as several one loss teams whose fans and media supporters will be clamouring for their inclusion. The current system is fine for now but if the CFP committee ever gives in to the "eye test" metrics then teams like CLemson will suffer regardless of their record/conference championship, etc.

When that time comes, like it or not, playoff expansion will occur.

BTW, I am a proponent of an 10 team playoff with no independents. Make teams like Notre Dame and Army join a conference or risk not having a shot at the playoff. JMO.

People are constantly changing their mind between

Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Honestly, I'm somewhat at a loss... ]

'Best looking' and 'Most deserving'. Until rankings are no longer subjective, there can't be a 'points' system, it would continue to be biased. College basketball has tiered wins, but they also have a much larger tournament field and more games.

Clemson

Re: Urban Meyer admits to running up score on purpose to get into playoffs

Oct 21, 2019, 10:02 AM

Don’t give points based on where they are ranked when you beat them then. Give them points based on the final rankings at the end of the year.

points system is ok

Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 AM

but shouldn't be based on an opponent's ranking when those rankings are based on opinion (that defeats the whole purpose of using points).

Rankings should be based on W/L record, W/L record of your opponents, W/L record of your opponents' opponents - with logical weight being given to power 5/group of 5 teams.

A win gives points, a win over a winning team gets more points, a win over a winning team who plays winning teams gets more points, power 5 opponents get more points. Perhaps losses lose points with the same weights given (losing to a group of 5 team who has a losing record will hurt prety bad).

It could get complicated but I am sure enough smart heads could get together and come up with the formulas. Every week the rankings could change fairly dramatically since points will change for every game you played as those teams' seasons unfold. For instance you beat a team in the first week that ends up going undefeated the rest of the year - the points you earn for that game keep going up every week.

I'd be okay with something similar to this

Oct 21, 2019, 10:14 AM

as long as, like you alluded to, games early in the year count (almost) as much as games later in the year. I do believe games later in years should be weighed more heavily since that's how the team has actually performed and grown (significant injuries aside)

Clemson

Re: points system is ok

Oct 21, 2019, 10:50 AM [ in reply to points system is ok ]

That's the old high school football playoff seeding system.

For a while in South Carolina it was:

X number of points for beating 4A teams with winning record.
X number of points for beating 4A teams with losing record.
And so on down to 1A teams with a losing record.

High school football has now moved to a conference seeding and random designation of which conference gets home field advantage if the seeds are equal further in the playoffs.

Oct 21, 2019, 10:21 AM

Any 'fair' points system would require the polls be done away with imo. Let the committee rank the teams beginning in week 7 and throughout the playoff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't do away with polls

Oct 21, 2019, 3:54 PM

That's like telling someone to not have an opinion.

Also some basic freedom infringement involved. NCAA might, just might, have some say with the coaches' poll but that would probly be a tough rule to pass.

Oct 21, 2019, 10:26 AM

Not surprising at all.

The CFP was created to make sure the two best teams played for the National Championship every year. Mission accomplished. Why change it?

I don't agree with Urban. What he suggests would only benefit teams that come from over-inflated conferences like the SEC, and BIG Ten. The AP and Coaches polls are excluded from the CFP process for a reason.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess they used up all their points prior to Clemson game...

Oct 21, 2019, 4:02 PM

O310 baby!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 4:58 PM

Didn't we have the point system with the BCS poll?

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic