Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Updated Conference standings by Division
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Updated Conference standings by Division

May 7, 2018, 11:02 PM

http://theacc.com/standings.aspx?path=baseball

We are 2.5 up on NCSU in the Atlantic and .5 back of UNC overall

We have one ACC series @ Pitt
NCSU has two ACC series vs Wake and @ FSU
FSU has one ACC series vs NCSU
UNC is @ Duke and at home vs VT

Gave exact GB numbers and added UNC remaining ACC schedule

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Updated Conference standings by Division

May 7, 2018, 11:19 PM

Amateur analysis:

Sweep Pitt and no team in the Atlantic can catch Clemson. Atlantic title (is that a thing?) and 2nd seed in tournament guaranteed.

Staying ahead of UNC for the ACC championship and top seed at the tournament is tougher.
Need UNC to finish behind Clemson as they own the tie breaker (UNC swept NC State while Clemson, well, did not do as well against NCSU). Will UNC lose three of six to Duke and VT?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2018, 11:21 PM

Division Championships exist in Baseball (reasons unknown unless thats what determines seeding)

May 7, 2018, 11:45 PM

LInk below to seeding. May even be current.

My eyes glazed over quickly, mostly due to walk off home run celebrations followed shortly by (ALERT: hockey news) Ovi scoring winning goal for Caps to beat the Pens in overtime (raised in Clemson, now live in DC). Lots of channel flipping between ESPN2 and NBCSN.

http://theacc.com/sports/2015/4/20/_131481552890038679.aspx

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They give division Championships because the schedule is bas

May 8, 2018, 8:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Updated Conference standings by Division ]

ed on division play primarily. Its very similar to football except we play 2 more teams from the other division each year. 6 from our division plus GT as a primary crossover rival and then rotate through the the other 6 teams (3 per year) in the opposite division with a system that's kinda hard to explain, but every school plays every other ACC school at least once every three years.

Other than the hardware the only benefit going into the ACC tournament is that the division winners are the top 2 seeds regardless of record.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: They give division Championships because the schedule is bas

May 8, 2018, 8:28 AM

Division record is huge because it gives you an advantage in the round robin tournament. Higher seed holds the tiebreaker.

null

While we could have that advantage

May 8, 2018, 8:40 AM

this year for the first time in a long time it seems, and while this board has constantly complained in past years about that advantage the other teams have had, I don’t recall us ever losing that tiebreaker or it being a factor with other teams either. Usually the pod ties are from 2 teams being 2-1 and H2H deciding who advances. You have to have 3 teams at 2-1 for the higher seed to come into play. One team has to go 0-3 and the other 3 have to beat each other for that to happen.

I seem to remember something with UVA years back.

May 8, 2018, 9:14 AM

That being said it's a stupid format and should die. Should have never been a thing to begin with.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

It's a soccer tournament format and has no place in baseball

May 8, 2018, 9:48 AM

or any American sport for that matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiebreaker

May 8, 2018, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Updated Conference standings by Division ]

I believe it's possible for FSU to finish higher than NC State. If that happens, I believe Clemson would own tiebreaker over UNC. That would likely take an FSU sweep of State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2018, 8:52 AM

I think the real concern should be Syracuse. They have not lost even 1 ACC baseball game all season.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic