Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who will replace Tommy Bowden? 2008 Link
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Who will replace Tommy Bowden? 2008 Link

Feb 19, 2018, 10:12 PM

This is interesting...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2008/10/13/1641860/early-candidates-to-replace-bowden

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who will replace Tommy Bowden? 2008 Link

Feb 19, 2018, 10:44 PM

This is the epitome of dodging a bullet. Can you imagine where we'd be if we'd wasted three years on Muschamp or Kiffin?

Feb 19, 2018, 10:55 PM

I was very OK with Dabo way back then, I don't think that if we would have ever gotten to where Dabo has us now. If we would have gave another top coach 20 years to get us where we are now, we wouldn't be where we're at now. It takes a Dabo type coach to Take and keep Clemson on top of the winner circle as a top 1, 2 or 3 school!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2018, 11:08 PM

I thought Dabo might be a good coach to bridge a gap. I give credit to TDP for seeing something a lot of us didn't.

I will say, though, that it didn't take long for me to come around. I was a believer long before the NCG appearances.

Feb 19, 2018, 11:58 PM

I'm not convinced TDP was as visionary on Dabo as we seem to have led ourselves to believe .
I think he obviously liled him , and thought he'd do an adequate job ....but I also think Dabo may have been no more to the AD at that time than a time-buyer option .
If the gamble failed , expected . If it worked then they're all geniuses .

Glad it worked out . Life is crazy . Dude has been an absolute game changer .

And the best ....

Is yet to come .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 20, 2018, 8:11 AM

I'm not convinced TDP was as visionary on Dabo as we seem to have led ourselves to believe .
I think he obviously liled him , and thought he'd do an adequate job ....but I also think Dabo may have been no more to the AD at that time than a time-buyer option .
If the gamble failed , expected . If it worked then they're all geniuses .

Glad it worked out . Life is crazy . Dude has been an absolute game changer .

And the best ....

Is yet to come .

Terry knew exactly who he was getting in Coach Swinney. The only gamble was if he would have the opportunity to get it done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2018, 9:34 AM

i've got land in the everglades for sale

Message was edited by: theclash®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

If that were true, dabo would have been canned

Feb 20, 2018, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Who will replace Tommy Bowden? 2008 Link ]

Anytime during the 5bomb.
Plenty of hot shot up and comers during that 5 yr streatch.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

we also

Feb 20, 2018, 5:23 PM

won ACC championships and beat some of the nations elite teams in that era. (Ohio State and LSU)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got that right. Petrino?????

Feb 20, 2018, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Who will replace Tommy Bowden? 2008 Link ]

Muschamp and Kiffin are two of the biggest head coaching flops of the last ten years. Petrino? Scandalous and on the edge of retirement. Dabo was and is the perfect fit. Once he got the Bowden players who carried the Bowden mentality cycled out (which was not all of Bowden’s players) the program has been one of the top programs in the nation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You got that right. Petrino?????

Feb 20, 2018, 1:14 PM

Dabo has had to work as hard and harder as any man has to get where he is today. And let's not anyone ever forget that, Dabo started at the very "BOTTOM", and he has worked more 20 hour days than most has ever worked in their life time just to get Clemson FB where it is today, and he has earned everything he has gotten from it without anyone giving him anything. Dabo Swinney is what Clemson FB is today, and there isn't a HC out there that I would trade him for right now this day!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2018, 11:52 PM

That's funny. I don't recall who I was rooting for at the time, but I had no confidence in a guy named Dabo. Sure am glad I wasnotin charge at the time. Dabo is more than a winner.

Dabo's of the world rejoice!!***

Feb 20, 2018, 12:09 AM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 20, 2018, 1:19 AM

I remember really wanting Tommy Tuberville. I thought he would be a great fit at Clemson and always had superb defenses at Auburn. Funny looking back now, Tubs is out of coaching and we're stuck with Dabo. I guess we'll stick with him and see where he takes us.

Feb 20, 2018, 3:57 AM

I must admit to having thought TDP has lost his mind. Glad I was not in charge. LOL

How about the last comment...

Feb 20, 2018, 1:53 AM

"Maybe I’m crazy, but I’d think Baylor’s Art Briles is worth a look. He’s already changed the culture at Baylor and has his guys exceeding expectations and playing above their ability."

Yikes!! He hanged the culture and Baylor alright...

Seriously, could you imagine if we were going through what Baylor has the last 3 years. Terrible.

funny how the last one briefly mentions

Feb 20, 2018, 5:32 AM

Petrino but then immediately dismisses the idea of someone leaving Arkansas for Clemson.

10 years later and Arkansas is hiring our former assistant as their head coach

Here's an interesting question

Feb 20, 2018, 5:36 AM

With which hire would we currently be 2nd best off right now?

Re: Here's an interesting question

Feb 20, 2018, 6:20 AM

I really wanted Troy Calhoun (Air Force) or Gary Patterson but wouldn't trade Dabo for both of them now.

That's a funny list. Some other candidates at the time:

Feb 20, 2018, 7:49 AM

1. Troy Calhoun - Head coach at Air Force.

2. Gary Patterson - A lot of Tnetters wanted Patterson and were pissed with the Dabo hire. I still don't think he would've left TCU.

3. And some guy named Brent Venables. Apparently he can coach a good defense, idk...

Re: That's a funny list. Some other candidates at the time:

Feb 20, 2018, 8:01 AM

If Calhoun would have been hired do you think that he would have brought the option with him?

"unsexy stability pick" FTW!***

Feb 20, 2018, 7:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 20, 2018, 9:39 AM

Hate we missed out on Muschamp

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY except DABO***

Feb 20, 2018, 11:08 AM

"Unsexy" ...lol

Feb 20, 2018, 11:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We narrowly avoided five trainwrecks there, didn't we?

Feb 20, 2018, 12:55 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2018, 5:08 PM

I'm just glad Dabo's arms have gotten longer since 2008. It's crazy that the sleeves of a coaches polo used to fall past his elbows.

wow - we dodged several bullets there.

Feb 20, 2018, 6:14 PM

nice post.

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic