Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell = Bowden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,721

Brownell = Bowden

Feb 18, 2019, 10:14 AM

Just a few more plays here and there and we'd be in the top 10...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell = Bowden

Feb 18, 2019, 10:17 AM

More like players.

Feb 18, 2019, 10:33 AM

Wut?

Brownell's players fight to the last second (and dang, they are a basket from being 8-4 rather than 5-7), Bowden players would quit in the 1 quarter or before the game.

Clemson ranks second to last in resources to Basketball Program. We spend 2-3 Dabo salaries less than other ACC schools. Bowden was usually in the top 3-4 of resources to the football program (trailing FSU, VT, and occasionally someone else mostly due to HC salaries).

You can fault Brad for not winning ACC championships... but then again, we are buying them either. As compared to other schools, their AD is out spending us 3-4 to one.

If you had an extra 2 million, would you give it to the football assistants or the Basketball program?

Brad is a very good coach making "mid-level" returns on a nearly non-existent investment. Tommy kick-started the football investment and then did not return anything.

Great post. I wish everyone would read it.

Feb 18, 2019, 2:32 PM

Many of our "fans" believe that we have the finest facilities in the land, and pay our coach a lot of money compared to other schools. To them, $2.5 million a year for a basketball coach must be among the top in the nation. They also think we have the best fan support, and always use an example from years ago about students camping out for basketball tickets.

The reality is that our facilities, while nice after the upgrade, don't put us at or near the top of the ACC. Brad's salary is middle of the pack for ACC coaches. And our fans support basketball pretty well when we're good, but certainly not consistently.

Based on the many disadvantages Brad has, he's done quite well IMO. I believe he would do big things if he had more resources in his favor at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Uhh, no.

Feb 18, 2019, 10:41 AM

Bowden had more resources to work with than Brad will ever have. Bowden was a pretty good recruiter but a terrible coach. His teams were never prepared and would roll over and quit at the first signs of adversity.

Brownell is like the opposite of all of those things. He's a pretty darn good coach, but has struggled recruiting and putting good talent out on the floor. His teams are frequently outgunned and often can't shoot, etc, but they always look prepared and they fight tooth and nail to the final whistle.

Re: Uhh, no.

Feb 18, 2019, 11:00 AM

BRAD HAD AN EXCELLENT RECRUITING CLASS FOR NEXT YEAR. PROBLEM IS THEY WILL BE FRESHMAN. BUT A COUPLE OF THEM ARE GONNA HAVE TO COME IN AND GET AFTER IT RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uhh, no.

Feb 18, 2019, 11:47 AM

OWWW MY EARS jk ;)

Feb 18, 2019, 10:42 AM

Just a few more plays here and there and we'd be in the top 10...

You are implying that CU FOOTBALL has he same potential as CU BASKETBALL. Please tell me you don’t really believe this to be true

Feb 18, 2019, 11:01 AM

I'm sure anyone silly enough to post this would believe exactly that. Speaks volumes of the posters lack of knowledge

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden deserves a pretty good amount of credit

Feb 18, 2019, 1:07 PM

for 2 national championships (and counting...). Tell me I’m wrong...and you’ll be wrong.

So...not sure I understand the comparison.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden deserves a pretty good amount of credit

Feb 18, 2019, 1:38 PM

No, you are correct. He did lay the foundation.

Bowden's weakness was coaching or scheme, it was in-game motivation. Actually, he was a great "CEO' style coach as well. However, if something didn't go as planned, the wheels would come off as the players did not buy into adjustments.

Case in point, take the Brice-Cuse game. How Dabo kept the faith in that game when everything was going wrong is just plain amazing. Now compare that to Bowden's last two games (Md/Wake lose)... it isn't that Bowden lost the locker-room, rather he lost the faith that they could win and the team lost. Dabo keeps the players focused on a level not really seen on any level save for the all-time great (See Coach K and Louisville).

If you truly believe that Brownell and Bowden are even close

Feb 18, 2019, 2:34 PM

to being the same, in any shape or form, there is no hope for you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,721
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic