Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USMNT--copa d'oro
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

USMNT--copa d'oro

Jul 8, 2015, 9:44 AM

If any of you confederate flag wearing baseball loving beer drinking crystal glowing HR story telling short warlord animal pissers want to know how the tourney works, here goes:

Teams are all from North America, Central America, and the Caribbean.

3 groups of 4 teams each. Everyone plays a match against the other 3 teams in their group. This is called group play.

Top 2 from each group (6 teams) plus the best 2 3rd place teams (3 more teams) advance to the quarterfinals (8 teams total). This is called the knockout round.

From here, it's played out just like march madness, until you get a winner.

Nerve racking match for the USA last night. Could easily have been a 4-3 win for Honduras or 3-3, but for some luck combined with a very good GK effort by Guzan (who in fairness sees lots of shots on goals while at AVFC).

While yes I think Bradley's free kick DID go in (no confirmation due to no goal line tech), we avoided complete and utter disaster on a number of occasions. Our back line was...umm....err...bad. And poor. Like broke azzed poor.

Guzan--Played well despite a porous back line
GK grade: A

Chandler--Head squarely in #### defensively, meh offensively.
Brooks--Yellow was harsh I thought, tough cookie that just seemed to lack awareness of positioning for a CB
Alvarado--I'm not real sure where this guy came from, but JK should send him back. Looked out of place, like he didn't belong on the squad.
F Johnson--Dangerous in the attack, terrific ball to Yedlin that should have been put away. Otherwise ok defensively
Back 4 unit grade: D-

Zardes--DYK why he does his hair like that? It's so his grandma can see him on TV. That's sweet, gotta love him for that. Otherwise...he looked exactly like an attacker being thrown into a position with defensive responsibility. Sorta lost looking at times, not a complete enough player for me to play out there. I'd be ok with him out there for his attacking skills if we had a rock solid back 4, but see above.

Beckerman-Worked really hard. Decent job defensively. 99% of his passes were negative (went backwards). Seemed to lack the confidence to play penetrating balls. Trouble with this is that we were really poor in possession and needed to just pound it down the field at times. Instead, KB played it back to _________(insert ###### defender here), and ________ turned it over.

Bradley-I like this kid. Really do. He has a calmness and confidence about him that we really need. This dude is the heart of our team. He was not on his "A+" game last night. All around, just a bit off of top form.

Yedlin-I like this kid too. Goodgodalmighty he can run. For me he lacks some polish (hay, he's young!) but makes up for it with his work rate. I like him out in the flank, hope he continues to get better. Shoulda scored, was a notch above meh all night.

MF unit grade C

Jozy-LOVE his holdup play. Made attempts to finish the few times he was in. Overall I was ok with Jozy's play. I thought he did his job. Ultimately I would play him a bit withdrawn and slide Clint higher. Jozy is an underrated passer.

Clint D-Scored twice, so that's good. Looked to do some diving at times, work rate was average. Otherwise a good performance judging by the results.

F unit grade B+

Subs: Wondo, Evans, Zusi
Wondo was ok, good work rate and caused a few turnovers due to his pressure. Didn't get the ball at his feet much in the final third.
Evans looked like our best defender albeit for a short period of time at the end of the match
Zusi not enough minutes to comment on

In summary we deserved the result and found a way even though it was pretty. A performance best described as 'Murica, ####! Starting ANY tourney with 3 pts against the toughest opponent in your group is good. A tie in the Haiti/Panama match also helped as we now lead our group with points being 3-1-1-0. We did not look like the team that knocked off the Dutch and Germans and will have to improve in order to win.

These CONCACAF matches are always tricky, mainly due to tactics and dirty play.

The Hondurans were filthy and the ref was horrible.

Next up v Haiti on Friday night. A win Friday should all but guarantee a spot in the knockout round.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USMNT--copa d'oro

Jul 8, 2015, 9:49 AM

"Top 2 from each group (6 teams) plus the best 2 3rd place teams (3 more teams) advance to the quarterfinals (8 teams total)."

You've made one tiny error. Instead of reading to learn more about what is going on, we will probably just harp on this for a while.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NON DONOR EDIT

Jul 8, 2015, 9:51 AM

"Top 2 from each group (6 teams) plus the best 2 3rd place teams (2 more teams) advance to the quarterfinals (8 teams total)."

What happens if the Mens go 0-3?

Jul 8, 2015, 9:52 AM

Do they still get to play in that other qualifying match?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What Mens?

Jul 8, 2015, 9:55 AM

And what other qualifying match?

Solid Aerospeak, 9/10 Aeros

Re: What Mens?

Jul 8, 2015, 9:57 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1465210&tstart=0

If they win the gold cup tourney

Jul 8, 2015, 10:03 AM

Then they automatically qualify for the confederations cup.

If they do not win the gold cup, they will have to play the gold cup winner to see who plays in the confederations cup.

So yes, the US could have gone 0-3 and still would play in a playoff to see who gets to the confederations cup. Likewise they could go undefeated but lose in the Gold cup final and still would have to replay the winner for a confederations cup birth

How is confederations cup better than gold cup?

Jul 8, 2015, 10:06 AM

What has to happen to qualify for the World Cup?

It is the each federation champs

Jul 8, 2015, 11:17 AM

playing a year before the next WC at that host site.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ed Zachary. And the reason the US wants to play in it

Jul 8, 2015, 1:17 PM

is that the tourney would provide competitive matches v top level European (and other) competition that otherwise we won't get. And it gives our guys some time in Russia ahead of the WC.

You really have to be aggressive

Jul 8, 2015, 9:50 AM

to play penetrating balls.

I mean, you can't just bat it around for 90 minutes

Jul 8, 2015, 9:52 AM

without making SOME attempt at going in.

You've got to pound it in

Jul 8, 2015, 9:54 AM

isn't that what you said?

#itin

Group play? Anything like a circle jerk?

Jul 8, 2015, 9:57 AM

Asking for my little friend

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

watched the first +/- 35 minutes

Jul 8, 2015, 10:00 AM

Got dominated by the physicality and speed of Honduras going forward. They came out fast and hard, Guzan made a great save about 10' in to keep them out of the net.

Dempsey's first goal on the set piece was nice, but Honduras' defending of that set piece was HORRIBLE. I mean, worse than Arsenal against Stoke, TERRIBLE. Any one of three guys should have netted that (and could have). The USMNT didn't look crisp at all.

Honduras was much more physical and played like they DGAF which they shouldn't since they have never beaten the USMNT.

Jozy and Clint only touched it a few times in the first 25' because our passes in the midfield were nowhere near on target.

4/10 - Will continue watching.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honduras must really, really suck.***

Jul 8, 2015, 10:02 AM

Yes, Honduras sux. However they are the type of team

Jul 8, 2015, 1:21 PM

that can possibly catch a result on any given day against any given team. Because they play dirty, defend well, and generally turn the match into some bullshat. Sorta like a Rick Barnes slab 5 type team.

Seriously, has our back four ever been decent? Ever?***

Jul 8, 2015, 10:00 AM

Gooch?***

Jul 8, 2015, 10:02 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was he really that good?***

Jul 8, 2015, 10:05 AM

Not sure, that is prior to Greenr enjoying futbol***

Jul 8, 2015, 10:29 AM

Before knee injuries, very much so.***

Jul 8, 2015, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Was he really that good?*** ]

Yes, very good pre injuries

Jul 8, 2015, 1:18 PM

Don't remember much creative out of him offensively, but very very solid defensively. And large. A large fella that would rectify things that needed to be rectified.

There's a reason Milan signed him.

Jul 8, 2015, 1:42 PM

Shame injuries ruined things. Same with Stu Holden.

TL; DC***

Jul 8, 2015, 10:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USMNT always makes me think "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"***

Jul 8, 2015, 11:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dyslexia

Jul 8, 2015, 11:24 AM

well-played Eeg

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WAIT JUST A SECOND

Jul 8, 2015, 11:24 AM [ in reply to USMNT always makes me think "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"*** ]

It doesn't?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At some point in high school, I had a

Jul 8, 2015, 12:19 PM [ in reply to USMNT always makes me think "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"*** ]

Monsters of the Gridiron Hat. See link below for cards and logo. People thought it was a Ninja Turtle hat for some reason. I'd usually say something about how stupid I felt they were.

https://www.google.com/search?q=monsters+of+the+gridiron&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=815&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=v0udVZe7NsS_ggSRyY74CQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw#imgrc=eJ-iS9O0kMWYpM%3A

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic