Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
if UGA plays UA close, Herbstreit thinks UGA could stay #4
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,567

if UGA plays UA close, Herbstreit thinks UGA could stay #4

Nov 27, 2018, 11:13 AM

interesting, what do you think? take out your anti-SEC viewpoint

Herbstreit thinks if Georgia plays Alabama close, the Bulldogs could have a case to remain at No. 4 over Oklahoma and Ohio State.

“It’s subjective analysis, but you could make a case for it,” Herbstreit said this morning. “I think the way the (SEC Championship Game) plays out will go a long way in the argument post-game discussion into Sunday morning. If it’s a game like they had last year in the national championship and Georgia loses a close one like that, even with two losses, I personally think Georgia would have the very strong case (for the Playoff.).

“Their punishment for an 11-1 year will be to go playing Alabama. Ohio State? They get to play Northwestern. Oklahoma plays Texas. It’s a little bit different what Georgia has to go though and I think we need to take that into consideration at the end of the day. I’m not caught up in the ‘two losses, they’re automatically eliminated’ (stuff). If they play their tails off and lose a close one, I think they’ll have a case to be made.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

that would be bad for football imo***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Talk about making conference championship game irrelevant

Nov 27, 2018, 11:27 AM

This would kill it altogether

If this happens, I am all for eliminating conf championship games and replacing them with a quarterfinal round of the playoffs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so he's saying UGA, OU, or OSU

Nov 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

could end up at #4

bold move Kirk

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It would mean a rematch in Dallas. No one wants to see that.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:17 AM

And the Big Ten gets shutout of the playoff money again. Not happening.

Herbstreit's stirring the pot for the Ohio State fans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand the argument but don't think it will happen...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:20 AM

That would setup a #4UGA/#1Bama rematch in the CFP semi-final. Either that or a 2-loss UGAy would have to jump ND. If they kept UGAy #4 after a loss the CFP committee looses all credibility in my mind (assuming either OSU or OU win).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not if we destroy Pitt in a blowout.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 AM

Bama barely wins? The committee would “have no choice” but to do us the favor of moving us up to #1 so Bama “has” to face “higher ranked” ND instead. We get the “easier” game against Georgia. They would have no choice. ND is going to get blasted by whoever plays them. It’s a charade. That’s why the committee will drop ND to #4 assuming things go as planned so Bama will get them. They’ll say it’s because they don’t have a conference championship and “in the committee’s eyes” that outweighed OU’s or tOSU’s one loss. I want Notre Dame but you know they won’t let us have them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: if UGA plays UA close, Herbstreit thinks UGA could stay #4

Nov 27, 2018, 11:20 AM

Uh.....No!! 2 loss team is not going to CFP

The loser of that game is eliminated IMO...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:21 AM

most especially if the losing team is UGa.

Assuming, of course, that Clemson, OU and OSU all win.

How could the committee justify voting-in a two-loss UGa team that did not win its conference championship game ahead of two one-loss conference champions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

How do they justify it?

Nov 27, 2018, 11:40 AM

That’s easy, silly... it’s the SEC. It just means more, so they deserve more. hth

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama is not eliminated if they lose

Nov 27, 2018, 12:04 PM [ in reply to The loser of that game is eliminated IMO... ]

There's a chance they won't make it in, but i would imagine they will.

I respectfully disagree...

Nov 27, 2018, 12:16 PM

I don't think the committee will set a precedence of voting in a one-loss team without a conference championship over a one-loss team with a conference championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if UGA plays UA close, Herbstreit thinks UGA could stay #4

Nov 27, 2018, 11:21 AM

You can't convince me that Herbstreit really thinks this would happen. Even if playing Bama close would mean that UGA is the 4th best team, I can't see the committee leaving out 3 of the power 5 conferences.

In his scenario Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame and UGA are in. That means no Big 10 (1 loss champ), Big 12 (1 loss champ), or PAC 12 and they are all left out in favor of a 2 loss team.

Now if Ohio St and Oklahoma lose..... all bets are off.

UCF

Nov 27, 2018, 11:25 AM

put in UCF UCF UCF

UCF ain't getting in PERIOD...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:26 AM

and they shouldn't.

One of the other conferences should get in

Nov 27, 2018, 11:24 AM

Assuming the top two win out (and ND's already in), it's ridiculous to put a 2-loss team ahead of conference champions.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

That would just be stupid

Nov 27, 2018, 11:33 AM

Have an immediate rematch

It's more likely that Bama would drop down in the poll...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:40 AM

rather than moving UGA up. UGA already has one loss, that would give them two which would leave a couple teams with a better record.

Imo, ESPN is hurting for something to say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA lost by 20 to the Number 3 Team in the West Division

Nov 27, 2018, 11:45 AM

has TWO LOSSES
didn't win a conference championship

NO!!!

That's dumb unless more than one of OKLA, OSU or us lose.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

He's wrong...Wouldn't be the 1st time***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:47 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Herbie...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:48 AM

but I disagree. I think its Oklahoma.

the sec network has to push the sec

Nov 27, 2018, 11:51 AM

no way a two loss non conference champ gets in over a one lost conference champ of ohio state or oklahoma

Absolutely not going to happen

Nov 27, 2018, 11:52 AM

I realize he's just running with a hypothetical and talking about it, but I don't think any team has ever gotten in after losing their conference championship game, and certainly they wouldn't after that being their second loss (with their first being a resounding loss).

Not gonna happen.

I'll say it again, slowly< NO team is losing it's CCG and

Nov 27, 2018, 11:58 AM

backing in to the 4 teamer...Simply not going to happen

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep

Nov 27, 2018, 12:02 PM

Only 1 team has gotten into the playoff with their last game being a loss (Bama last year) and the only other teams to fill that spot would've had more losses or would've been coming off a loss as well (OSU/Wisc). Though a case could be made that last year would've been the perfect time to give UCF a shot, but I understand why they didn't.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,567
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic