Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: Ross Article (XFL vs CFB)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Apr 2, 2019, 7:16 PM

This article was posted in another thread. While I enjoyed the bits on Ross & his support system, I thought the article was poorly written and the premise equally short-sighted

The author is basically saying that players like Ross - "too young for the NFL but too good for college football" - should start to consider jumping to the XFL after their freshman season or out of high school. It sounds like the author was baiting him into loaded questions about the prospects of earning a paycheck instead of being at college. Just seemed very slanted & biased.

Whoever wrote this obviously isn't very plugged-in to the inner workings of college football or recruiting, and they didn't think about any factors outside of getting directly handed a paycheck.

Yeah, Ross broke-out on the biggest stage in the playoffs. But it took an entire season of development, growth, practice, and experience to get there. The Clemson staff has shown to maximize the potential of all of the kids who are committed and buy into the program.....but what kind of development would these kids get under an XFL (or other B-list league) coaching staff?

Where would a young, talented kid out of high school get better prepared for the NFL - at a premier college program with unlimited staff & resources to aid him & a group of his peers along their 3-5 year journey together? Or a 2nd-rate organization of rag-tag former pros & coaches, young prospects getting taken advantage of by "handlers" & "mentors," and the inevitable lowlife agents ready to pounce on these kids as soon as they sign that contract?

I would argue that these elite prospects are currently in the best position possible if their #1 goal is to earn an NFL paycheck someday.

Just troubling to me the way that things could be going.

End rant, go Tigers!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828855-already-a-pro-talent-clemson-superstar-justyn-ross-willing-to-wait-for-payday

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just like the guy who said Trevor should play in the AAF?

Apr 3, 2019, 8:18 AM

Go play 8 games then be out of a job? and not enrolled in college? Huge mistake. At least CFB is stable and provides a back up plan if you get injured or football isn't your forte

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep

Apr 5, 2019, 2:06 PM

amazing how clueless some people are

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two Words:

Apr 3, 2019, 9:09 AM

Herschel Walker

Two more words:

BIG MISTAKE

Apr 3, 2019, 9:38 AM

If your objective is a quick buck, possibly only for a few years (until the XFL goes the way of all those other leagues), then by all means, leave College early.

If however, your aim is the NFL, the possibility of making a long career in a league guaranteed to survive, competing against the best in the world, and are prepared to wait 3/4/ years for a payday,, then stay in College. You'll also have the benefit of a College education, which may come in useful if the football career doesn't quite go as expected.

I'm sure our boys at Clemson know the course to follow.

Apr 3, 2019, 10:26 AM

The only issue I have with this is they chose a Clemson player. Most of the guys Dabo recruits understand the value of college athletics and think the opportunity to play is a privileged.

Many others feel they should be paid or speak out against the universities. Top recruits ask for money because they feel they are owed something in addition to an opportunity at higher education and a chance to improve themselves for future employment. Those are the players that should go to the XFL.

Yes, right now college is the better option. The simple truth is some do not want to be student athletes and it should be on the NFL to create another option, not ruin the university system.

null

Apr 5, 2019, 2:26 PM

I agree with you. I'm confused how people always seem to blame the colleges when they complain of how some players such as Lawrence shouldn't be forced to play college football for 3 years, and they should be able to go to the NFL if they're ready. People always seem to overlook that the 3 year thing is an NFL rule.

It's no different from the 1 year NBA rule, and no different from the NBA currently talking about allowing high school players to go straight to the NBA again. If the NFL decided tomorrow that players could declare for the NFL anytime after high school then there'd be nothing the NCAA could do to stop it.

Apr 5, 2019, 2:22 PM

I don't know what the XFL will be paying this time around, but last time the average player made about $35,000-$50,000 per season. Someone could say that's better than nothing, but it's also not a lot of money at all. By the time you take out taxes, and the player having to pay for their own place to live and other expenses that are covered by major colleges then how much are they actually left with?

I'd also imagine that NFL scouts will likely be more comfortable with taking players who have played a few years against other top talent in college as opposed to guys in the XFL who weren't good enough to make an NFL roster sprinkled in with a few other guys who decided to go there instead of college.

All that is also assuming that the XFL even stays in business.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic