Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trying to sort out the Committee’s viewing of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Trying to sort out the Committee’s viewing of

Mar 18, 2019, 10:34 AM

the bubble is tough....
So after leaving out NC State and Clemson from their bubble I thought it was about quadrant 1 wins, as neither team had a ton of them, instead of NET. After further examination that proved to be not true because they also left out Texas who had 5 Quadrant 1 wins. What i don’t get is why the committee spends time making a metric if their not going to use it come March. The last 4 teams in all had much worse rankings in NET than either Clemson or NC State.
Belmont: 47 NET
Temple: 56 NET
Arizona State: 63 NET
St. John’s: 73 NET
Clemson: 35 NET
NC State: 33 NET
I understand we didn’t do enough to get in, but i’m not sure any of the teams in Dayton did enough either, would someone please tell me what i’m missing?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trying to sort out the Committee’s viewing of

Mar 18, 2019, 10:58 AM

Like many casual female observers, the committee filled out their bracket by which mascot they like the best.

Since it's 2019 there was a push to be PC.

Tigers and wolves are too aggressive so they went with some more cuddly mascots like owls and such.

Arizona St is in because there were several Christian schools placed in the tournament and they wanted to appear accepting of all religious choices.

Beyond that I'm not sure you could find basketball reasons for their choices.

Maybe it was uniform colors and they were afraid Clemson would choose to wear those horrific grey uniforms that we can't ever win with.

You are missing the human factor

Mar 18, 2019, 11:07 AM

Use metrics when it serves your purpose
Eye test when it doesn't

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Trying to sort out the Committee’s viewing of

Mar 18, 2019, 11:15 AM

They pick and it is what it is. I devote no time to it or the metrics. We make it or we dont. I pull for us either way. It is pretty clear Fridays game didnt mean much for and apparently the one in Raleigh did either. They certainly did nothing for NC St

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we win one more game, I think we'd have been in.

Mar 18, 2019, 1:16 PM

Any of the 6 1 or 2 point loss games and i think we'd have gotten in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The committee and the media loves the mid majors***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The committee and the media loves the mid majors***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:20 AM

but not UNCG.

They even pick and choose which mid majors to like randomly.

Re: The committee and the media loves the mid majors***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:28 AM

This: The Socon was stacked, likely better than the PAC12.

The committee decided that they needed more Big East, American, and that sweet, sweet PAC disappointment.

SoCon teams aren't really considered Mid Majors.***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: The committee and the media loves the mid majors*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: SoCon teams aren't really considered Mid Majors.***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:58 AM

Basically any high-performing non-power conference schools can/are considered mid-majors, especially if they have a run of successful years.

I can understand that if you want to be specific about conference (say A10, American) as mid-major conference I could respect that that but Wofford would be a definite mid-major team. They are definitely one of the best non-power conference schools. I could also understand if you want to toss out the weaker conferences (say Big South or NEC) I could understand that but then you would have to ignore Winthrop at times.

In basketball, mid-major is just a non-power conference school that heavily invests in Basketball but does not have a standing "history" like the Georgetowns or Gonzagas. VCU looks to be making a transition from "mid-major" to a power program even if the conference is still not a P5 group.

It's a "beauty contest", and we didn't pass the "eye test."***

Mar 18, 2019, 11:40 AM

Re: It's a "beauty contest", and we didn't pass the "eye test."***

Mar 18, 2019, 12:07 PM

That's exactly what it was. The committee completely ignored ALL of the metrics in favor of quad 1 wins and SOS. They should just go back to the RPI if all they're going to do is use an absurdly inconsistent "eye test" every year.

With that said, if we beat NC State we're probably in this tournament, so I'm not all that mad about being left out. I honestly feel way worse for the players at NC State. They absolutely should have been in the tournament. They got left out due to SOS and Q1 wins, but every metric that is supposedly used by the committee had them as far more deserving than the other bubble teams.

Re: It's a "beauty contest", and we didn't pass the "eye test."***

Mar 18, 2019, 12:39 PM

I feel for NC State, TCU, Texas, UNCG, etc..too...it's inexplicable to me that St. John's is in the field. That, more than anything, shows that it's all about the eye test and that all the "metrics" are just lipservice. At the end of the day, the committee, subjectively, is going to put teams into the field. The Johnnies (who lost to lowly DePaul TWICE, were beaten by 30 in their only "big" nonconference game, got beaten by 30 in their conference tournament, and have a NET ranking in the 70s) are the least deserving team in the history of the NCAA Tournament based on "metrics."

Clemson losing every single close game they played this season and utterly choking the game away against NC State makes it hard to be upset at the snub, but I can't fathom how St. John's is more deserving.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic