Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trump looking out for the middle man again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 544

Trump looking out for the middle man again

Apr 18, 2019, 1:29 PM

"A rare deterrent to limitless drug price increases may die under Trump"

"As drug prices have soared, lawmakers and patient advocates have pushed the federal government to deploy for the first time a powerful deterrent: a legal provision that allows it to suspend a drugmaker’s patent and license someone else to produce the drug.

Now, responding to industry alarm over those demands, the Trump administration is proposing to strictly limit the little-known power.

The move by the Department of Commerce is supported by drug manufacturers and research universities but could undermine Trump’s populist message of attacking drug prices. He declared in his first news conference after his inauguration that drug companies are “getting away with murder” and has called lowering prices one of his “greatest priorities.

The Commerce draft plan would prohibit the government from suspending a drugmaker’s exclusive patent over excessive pricing. It targets an obscure provision of a 40-year-old law called Bayh-Dole that is supposed to protect taxpayer interests in government-funded inventions, such as drugs discovered using federal grant money.

The law gives the government “march-in rights’’ to circumvent a patent (and license someone else to market a drug) if the original therapy is not made available to the public “on reasonable terms.’’ But the phrase “reasonable terms’’ is not defined in the law and for years has been the subject of competing interpretations.

The Trump administration plan, which was published as a “summary of intended actions’’ in December but received little attention, would come down clearly in favor of drug companies and major research universities.

March-in rights have never been used by the government, which historically has encouraged the flow of discoveries to private business for development. The National Institutes of Health, the leading drug research agency, has declined multiple times to use march-in rights to control prices — including under Democratic President Barack Obama."

I thought Trump was supposed to be better than Obummer?

The Big Pharma lobbyists score big with this action by the Trump administration.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

* little man***

Apr 18, 2019, 1:30 PM

We definitely need a clean sweep and a reformed government.

Apr 18, 2019, 3:44 PM

The little man plays a vital role.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might happen after the debt apocalypse/collapse

Apr 18, 2019, 4:30 PM

But probably not. Next government will probably be some dictatorship/totalitarian regime.

Maybe the government after that one.

Re: We definitely need a clean sweep and a reformed government.

Apr 18, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to We definitely need a clean sweep and a reformed government. ]

Funny...but interesting how you didn't actually address the issue my friend.

I'll look into that for real when I'm fresh.

Apr 18, 2019, 8:51 PM

I had to strip today and that wears me out. Not that it matters but I was stripping finish off of original MB Rosen leather and getting it ready for a coat of SEM waterbase dye. Fairly boring but also a challenge.

I'll look at the pill thing tomorrow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump looking out for the middle man again

Apr 18, 2019, 5:14 PM

Does this mean we can expect a cure for cancer soon, or just new varieties of boner pills?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump looking out for the middle man again

Apr 18, 2019, 5:58 PM

Does this mean we can expect a cure for cancer soon, or just new varieties of boner pills?

Dude...since when can you have too many varieties of boner pills...geez.

Replies: 7
| visibility 544
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic