Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trump and pulling the troops out of Syria.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 718

Trump and pulling the troops out of Syria.

Dec 19, 2018, 8:18 PM

I like it. What say you? Do you support the decision?

Added this part later. I changed my mind after listening to a bunch of military folks on TV. We only have 2k troops there and I guess they are needed due to Iran and Hezbolah.

Message was edited by: Carlsbad®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump and pulling the troops out of Syria.

Dec 19, 2018, 8:21 PM

Putin likes it too

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-19/russia-embraces-trump-s-syria-pullout-though-some-are-skeptical

Dec 19, 2018, 8:25 PM

I am sure he does. That said, what were our goals there?

Dec 19, 2018, 9:29 PM

Well it seems to me that Iran, Turkey, Russia like it and France, England, Germany don't. The whole situation is extremely complicate and basically unpredictable. Kinda strange to be on the Iran,Turkey,Russia side and opposed to our...allies?

Dec 20, 2018, 7:48 AM

Definitely

unless you want to stay somewhere and keep picking off

Dec 19, 2018, 8:44 PM

people 1 at a time you got to go sometime
now's as good as any

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: unless you want to stay somewhere and keep picking off

Dec 19, 2018, 8:52 PM

That's exactly how I feel. Unless we are in Afghanistan due to Pakistan's nukes next door, I don't see why we are still in Afghanistan either.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:14 PM

Does this decisions seem a bit, shot from the hip?

Yep, seems to have caught many by surprise...

Dec 19, 2018, 9:21 PM

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/12/19/trumps-syria-withdrawal-flies-in-the-face-of-statements-from-top-military-and-national-security-leaders/

Re: Yep, seems to have caught many be surprise...

Dec 19, 2018, 9:25 PM

What do you think about us pulling the troops out personally?

I hate that we have soldiers over there, but...

Dec 19, 2018, 9:46 PM

I also think it's a worthwhile mission and purpose to maintain a presence in the region (as mattis has mentioned and I trust Mattis' opinions on these issues). I think you do have to question the timing, logic and intent behind the idea. I'm not sure Trump (or whoever is in his ear about this) has given this enough thought and he/they might be doing it for political reasons. It's hard to imagine, with as much grief as Obama got for pulling out of Iraq and being blamed for the rise of ISIS that Trump would do the same thing (his strategy has been to do the opposite of Obama on most things) with Syria and ISIS/RUSSIA/IRAN.

saying all that, I also still would have made the same decision that dubya and obama made with pulling troops out of Iraq knowing it would give rise to ISIS, so my opinion may be in the minority.

Re: I hate that we have soldiers over there, but...

Dec 19, 2018, 10:02 PM

I thought going to Iraq was idiotic and I fully supported Obama pulling the troops out. Whenever we left Iraq all that mess was bound to happen. Once we invaded and occupied Iraq, the mess that happened when we left was inevitable. Nothing was going to change that, other than possibly staying forever.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Yep, seems to have caught many be surprise... ]

Is it an informed decision to pull out? Or is it a "Red Hearing" decision putting our troops safety at risk? Or is there some other reason the decision was made? I personally have no idea what the "right" decision is. I hope whomever does make the decision has the best intentions for out troops and country.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:59 PM

Red Herring is what I believe it is. Trump is a mess. That said, I support us pulling out of Syria. We still have a presence in the region, but we just won't in SYria.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Trump and pulling the troops out of Syria. ]

Without question. I think it's a red herring for him, but I still like the idea.

Trump had to go along wit Putin. Easy decision for him;

Dec 19, 2018, 9:34 PM

Putin has all the leverage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2018, 7:25 AM

Great move for Russia and Iran. Bad for us and Israel.

We had a clear goal there: defeating ISIS. And we were doing well.

Trump again acts against America's interest. I wonder why.

Dec 20, 2018, 7:55 AM

After further review, listening to Repubs and Dems alike, it sounds like Trump is blowing it pulling us out on multiple levels. It sounds like we are really sticking it to the Kurds too. I didn't know the issue well enough when I gave my initial opinion. I just disliked the invasion and occupation of Iraq so much, that I kind of associated the Syrian situation and thought we should just leave. It's only a couple thousand troops with defined goals. Heck, Trump wanted to put 6,000 troops on the US border. 2k troops in Syria is nothing and it sounds needed.

I wonder if it was at Putin's request or Trump has just...

Dec 20, 2018, 8:15 AM

started doing what Russia wants on his own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a policy it's horrendous but politically it's a winner.

Dec 20, 2018, 11:45 AM

The Kurds who have been fighting with us as allies will be slaughtered and Iran and Russia will hold a Shia swath from Iran to the Mediterranean. It's a very bad idea.

However, politically it seems a winner. Who could argue with bringing our troops home? The idea that America should not be the worlds police has a solid foothold among most of our population.

The Kurds are going to get skewered and our word as a country isn't going to be worth shat. But it is a political win for Trump personally.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a policy it's horrendous but politically it's a winner.

Dec 20, 2018, 12:26 PM

Yeah the Kurds are major reason why I realized I was wrong. I didn't know the issue well enough when I made my initial opinion.

Most dems against the decision are so because...

Dec 20, 2018, 12:35 PM

Trump made it. That's politics, it's not reason or anything else that surfaces within the sane mind. When life and death rest on politics one might reassess his thought process instead of doing what feels good.

I haven't changed my mind about Syria. I've always believed democracy and freedom from oppression are worthy causes in which to invest.

Right now Russia isn't a real problem except in some minds. If Russia gets a foothold that far east our hands will be filled with Iranian and other mid east issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most dems against the decision are so because...

Dec 20, 2018, 12:49 PM

True, but most Repubs are against it too.

Re: Most dems against the decision are so because...

Dec 20, 2018, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Most dems against the decision are so because... ]

Which Democrats? On this board? Because they've given reasons. In Congress? They've certainly given reasons too.

Dec 20, 2018, 8:32 PM

I wish Fred Trump would have pulled out 72 years ago

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2018, 9:18 PM

No doubt.

Replies: 25
| visibility 718
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic