Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trevor vs. Tua
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Trevor vs. Tua

Feb 15, 2019, 5:26 PM

Some people here will disagree - so be it.

As recently as the 2nd quarter of this years CFP National Championship game, I turned to my friend and said, "This guy is the best college quarterback I've ever seen." I was talking about Tua Tagovailoa.

Tua got *hosed* in the Heisman voting.

He has one of the most beautiful spirals I've ever seen, and is tough and durable.

If I had to pick one quarterback over the other, I *think* I'd pick Trevor, but I wouldn't have said that before the National Championship game. Lawrence scares me every single time he runs the ball - he needs to put on 20 pounds, or he's going to get injured.

There's absolutely no question that Trevor schooled Tua in Pasadena, but it would be wrong to dismiss Tua as anything but a peer - at least for now.

I keep waiting for Trevor to have a bad game - he hasn't.

Peace out,
DR

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor vs. Tua***

Feb 15, 2019, 5:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I'll be your huckleberry.***

Feb 15, 2019, 5:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please!

Feb 15, 2019, 5:55 PM

Tua has never and will never be able to read a defense post snap. He's just like Tajh Boyd. Bama fans have a right to love Tua but he's far from being in the class with Trevor. If Trevor gets a 100 score then Tua deserves no more than a 80. Tua will never start in the NFL.

Tua's claim to fame was an overrated SEC schedule with a cupcake every third week of the season. UGA made a stupid mistake which gave Bama a win and OU's defensive strategy coming out of the locker room was something which a 10 yr old girl would have drawn up. Bama was up 28 before OU figured out stopping the run was not the way to deal with somebody who can throw the ball and has a WR that can catch.

OU outscored Bama 34-17 when OU woke up and played top down defense. I know nothing about Xs and Os and I could see where OU screwed up. This isn't hindsight. I said Tua saw phantoms when somebody got in Bama's backfield.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor vs. Tua

Feb 15, 2019, 6:01 PM

They are both great QB's, but to me Trevor is clearly better. So you say that we'd like to see them go "head to head." Well gee, I thought that's what happened in the national championship game. So, how did that turn out? Which QB looked better in that game? Who won? Was it even close? Who was intercepted? If you said not Lawrence, you win the $64.00 question. So Tua is the better QB?? Lawrence hadn't even played a full season as the starter. Tua is pulling up the rear.

Feb 15, 2019, 6:04 PM

I’ll see your what happened when they played head to head and raise you “I worry when Trevor runs it”. It’s almost like 1 player stumbled and took a head shot one game and the other player pretty much stayed hurt the entire season.

Other than they both play QB, it’s not even close who the better player is. I’ve never seen anyone read not just presnap but post snap adjustments like Trevor does and he was a freshman. This kid is scary good and couple that with our WR corps being better than Tua’s and I wouldn’t trade offenses that’s for sure.

I can’t tell if that was sarcastic or not

Feb 15, 2019, 6:02 PM

I’ll laugh at it either way

Feb 15, 2019, 6:02 PM

Pasadena? Were the Tigers in the Rose Bowl and I missed it? Dang.

Feb 15, 2019, 6:14 PM

It's like comparing apples to oranges;
One wears red(crimson).
One wears ORANGE!
Both have won a National Championship.
The one wearing red(crimson) beat a SEC school wearing red for his championship.
The one wearing ORANGE beat the one wearing crimson(also a SEC school) for his championship.
In that game the one wearing red(crimson) thru 2 picks, one a pick- 6.
In that game, the one wearing ORANGE threw three touchdowns.
So does it really matter who schooled whom, or if one is the others peer?
The question should be; Which one would you rather have as your starter?
For me, I prefer ORANGES to apples.

Are You Looking at The Same Tua I am?

Feb 15, 2019, 6:16 PM

Banged up most of the season. When faced with good defenses he became average at best. 2 Picks and never escaped the pocket when pressured. Maybe he develops. And yes TL is kinda wonky when running.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2019, 6:20 PM

Tua sucked against every good defense he played this year. He makes his mind up before the snap and throws it, probably because he is so short.

Meanwhile, Trevor rarely makes a bad decision, can actually see over the line, and has played great regardless of competition.

Tua is massively overrated.

Feb 15, 2019, 6:24 PM

They played different competition throughout the season and you couldn't go wrong with either guy , but I like everyone else saw the difference in the NCG .
Tua was the guy who couldn't make good reads , and Trevor made all of his . Tua was the guy who got rattled by the DL pressure , Trevor seemed to feast on it .
You're right about TL gaining some mass ( I bet he puts on 10-15 lbs this off season ) , but as far as who I think is the better overall QB there is no doubt about it ...Trevor Lawrence every single time . Kid is a phenomenal football player , and I am sure he'll only get better with more time in the film room and on the college level field of play . His arm strength is elite ... like elite elite ... and his accuracy ( particularly when under duress ) is astonishing quite frankly .
Trevor is a better product than Tua Taigavaloa , that should bear out after a full season for those who still have doubts .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 15, 2019, 6:26 PM

Tua is not in the same league as Trevor........and that includes the majority of the starting QBs in the NFL......you are talking apples and oranges here......no comparing these guys if you are talking about who is the better QB......if Nick Saban had his choice who do you think he would pick to be his QB.....it would not be Tua....Go Tigers!!!!

I Don’t Care what You Say ...... Tau is as good as

Feb 15, 2019, 6:27 PM

Chase Brice. But not better!

Re: I Don’t Care what You Say ...... Tau is as good as

Feb 15, 2019, 6:35 PM

I would rather have Chase Brice over Tua as my QB any day of the week......Tua reminded me of Kelly Bryant playing against Bama .....had that Deer in the headlights look......Chase proved he could handle the pressure and there would be no National Championship for Clemson last season without Chase.....Go Tigers!!!!!

lol. that's insane***

Feb 18, 2019, 10:36 AM

Re: I Don’t Care what You Say ...... Tau is as good as

Feb 15, 2019, 6:38 PM [ in reply to I Don’t Care what You Say ...... Tau is as good as ]

I’m less confident as last poster but +1 for question. I’m not sure who I would rather take between Tua and Chase. I think Chase is better in the pocket and reading defenses but Tua is more athletic.

Feb 15, 2019, 6:59 PM

Through 19 years of their lives no QB comes close to TL. Right now TL is probably a top 10 NFL QB if he were in the league. The kid is truly special. Tua is good but you see guys like him all the time. Not sure we have ever seen a guy like TL.

Tua decides where he is going to throw it before the snap.

Feb 15, 2019, 7:17 PM

No bueno.

NFL will not be kind if he can't overcome that problem.

Feb 15, 2019, 7:21 PM

Trevor scares you he will get hurt? Which one of them had to have surgery during the season and had to be taken out of multiple games due to injury? Look up Tua's stats vs good defenses. Then look up Trevors. Argument is over. I made a post about this yesterday if you care to look for it breaking down the statistics of Tua, against good defenses he is strikingly similar and WORSE than Jake Bentley was against the same above average defenses with better receivers and better OL/RB. But instead you'll let the stat padding fool you.

Rivals had Tua ranked #53 in the nation, while Trevor

Feb 15, 2019, 7:24 PM

was #1. That should be enough evidence for any serious student of the game.

Feb 15, 2019, 7:30 PM

"If TL was eligible in this years draft he would be the 1st PLAYER ( not just QB) selected."

NFL Scouts ( as reported from many sources)

Like many of you, I would take Brice over tua.

Wrong...***

Feb 15, 2019, 7:31 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many times did you see Trevor fooled by the coverage?

Feb 15, 2019, 7:34 PM

Like Tua did? I rest my case!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't Trade for Dang Sure

Feb 15, 2019, 7:51 PM

No way any team in any league would take Tua over TL.

Feb 17, 2019, 9:05 PM

[Mods, feel free to split this into a separate topic - I'm still pretty new here.]

Can anyone explain (or provide a link for) how Clemson managed to lock Trevor down as a Junior in high school?

I've been following him closely since he was a senior at Cartersville HS (https://www.donrockwell.com/topic/50389-trevor-lawrence-1999-clemson-quarterback-from-cartersville-hs-in-georgia/ in case anyone cares), but I never really got the story of how Clemson sealed the deal - did it have something to do with Deshaun?

If you had paid attention, Kirk and Chris explained how

Feb 18, 2019, 10:28 AM

Clemson sealed the deal with Trevor during the second half of the title game,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you had paid attention, Kirk and Chris explained how

Feb 18, 2019, 3:42 PM

civil engr said:

Clemson sealed the deal with Trevor during the second half of the title game,

Are you sure about that?

https://twitter.com/Trevorlawrencee/status/809590625142185987

Yeah, his CFP game was so good he got benched.***

Feb 17, 2019, 9:16 PM

Actually, this is one thing they had in common.

Feb 18, 2019, 10:37 AM

Now the reason they got benched might be a bit different. But both quarterbacks did not finish the game.

Feb 18, 2019, 8:45 AM

Tua is a fine QB who benefits greatly from what he has around him, much more than Trevor Lawrence.

Lets look at this.

Tua has 2 top 2 round RBs, with Najee Harris probably 3.
Tua has 1 1st round OT in Jonah Williams.
Tua has 1 fringe 1st round TE
Tua has at least 1 probably 2 first round WRs.

On top of that Tua has been a sophomore while Trevor was a true freshman.

It's not to say that Trevor did not have great talent around him. He did but less and while being a true freshman he elevated his offense into the best offense in college football when he became the starter and as you saw the 2017 Clemson offense was rather mediocre.

Feb 18, 2019, 8:52 AM

New Years resolution - not gonna waste any precious time reading drivel like this.

I actually agree. I would take Trevor over Tua

Feb 18, 2019, 9:17 AM

because i think there's a bit more upside there, but Tua is still extremely good. Tua is probably the most accurate QB I've ever watched in college and, as you said, throws a gorgeous ball. He does have some weaknesses, but he had also never faced any adversity in his year or so starting at Bama and perhaps his weaknesses finally being exposed will help him work to correct them. I think a large part of Tua's problem is that that stuff had always worked before. It took a full year until Georgia and Clemson were finally able to expose some of his weaknesses and bait him into making some bad throws. Up until that point he had been nearly flawless for a year. This is a guy that had multiple games with more TD passes than incompletions. Let that sink in for a minute.

Tua now knows he isn't invincible and he can go hit the film room and learn from his mistakes. Perhaps he won't be able to do that, but i wouldn't bet against it right now. The guy doesn't come across as being dumb. He isn't going to score a 6 on the Wonderlic like Vince Young.

Re: I actually agree. I would take Trevor over Tua

Feb 18, 2019, 1:49 PM

He played poorly against LSU and Mississippi State as well, which happened to be the other two good defenses he faced. Tua is vastly overrated.

Trevor is better in every way except running.

I think "poorly" is a pretty big stretch. He wasn't great

Feb 18, 2019, 4:17 PM

in either game, but he was fine. LSU had perhaps the best secondary in the country so you would expect his numbers to be down a bit.

LSU: 25-42 (59.5) for 295 yards (7.0) YPA with 2 TDs and 2 INTs.

Miss St: 14-21 (66.7%) for 164 yards (7.8 YPA) with 1 TD and 1 INT.

7 YPA is pretty average for a college QB. 8 YPA is actually above average. 9 can get you invited to NY and 10+ usually wins the Heisman. DW4 averaged 8.4 for his career at Clemson and only 7.9 his JR year when we won the title.

Trevor had some fairly mediocre games too. He wasn't sharp against Cuse before getting hurt, he didn't play great against Duke, he only attempted 12 passes for 59 yards against Louisville, and his numbers in the Pitt game were pretty bad, albeit the weather was terrible. Granted he's a year younger than Tua, but it's not like he was perfect all season either.

I don't have a problem saying that Trevor is better than Tua. I think you can make a fairly strong argument there. It's just the extreme hyperbole that i find irritating. Saying that Tua is just an average QB or that Chase Brice is better than Tua is just ridiculous. In what sense is Tua vastly overrated? If he's widely considered the greatest college QB of all time - than yeah he's overrated. If he's considered to be one of the best QBs in college football though, well that's 100% reasonable. How many other guys are you taking in front of him? Trevor and who? Jake Fromm? Justin Herbert? Sam Ehlinger? KJ Costello? Please.

Re: I think "poorly" is a pretty big stretch. He wasn't great

Feb 18, 2019, 10:42 PM

The OP literally called Tua the greatest college QB he had ever seen. That’s vastly overrated.

By one person. Does that really count?***

Feb 19, 2019, 9:08 AM

Re: By one person. Does that really count?***

Feb 19, 2019, 9:41 AM

You know many people throughout the season said the same thing. I couldn’t figure out what they were watching...or smoking.

tua last year vs top 30 defenses top 30 mind you

Feb 18, 2019, 4:02 PM

6 td's
6 pics

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: tua last year vs top 30 defenses top 30 mind you

Feb 18, 2019, 4:17 PM

henry® said:

6 td's
6 pics

I'm not sure how you're measuring Top 30 defenses, but I'll take your word for it.

This means that he had 37 TDs and 0 Pics against non-Top 30 defenses, right?

got it off the internet so it must be true***

Feb 18, 2019, 6:01 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trevor v Tua

Feb 19, 2019, 3:10 AM

I actually think Tua is a pretty talented QB, and probably will go in the 1st Round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Whether he is a good enough pocket passer to be a star in the NFL is debateable, but I can see him making a very good career for himself at that level. He'll never be a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but he could be a Matt Stafford or Alex Smith.

As for Trevor, if he maintains his current level of performance, he's going No1 in 2021 (or hopefully 2022), and will be a great NFL QB, to be spoken of alongside the likes of Brady, Montana, Elway etc

Not just 1st round... he's probably going #1 overall.

Feb 19, 2019, 3:40 PM

The biggest knock on Tua at the next level is that he's left-handed.

Tua's release seems a little funny, to me. Kinda like

Feb 19, 2019, 9:32 AM

Phillip Rivers, but not as exaggerated. I thought it would keep Rivers out of the NFL, so I won't make any further comments on that part of Tua's game.

I told someone that I thought Tua was over-rated. Unbeknownst to me, it was an SEC fan. Ugh. Been hearing about that for a month.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic