Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Traveling Is So Much Fun
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,509

Traveling Is So Much Fun

Jul 10, 2019, 3:24 PM

when it's on my terms. But such was not the case when recalled to active military duty in Sept. 1950. After writing those tales about my travels to Korea,. I decided to check the approximately number of miles involved and the modes of transportation involved, So, here is a brief summary. About 3:00 PM on Tuesday, Sept. 19. 1950, a postman entered my office at Stoneville, MS and asked if I was Joe21. When I said "yes" he had me sign for a registered letter. The letter ordered me to report to Fort Hood, TX, the next Monday morning, Sept. 25. A phone call asking for a delay was denied and I was told "to report as ordered. I had to hastily close out my research project, pack and store our belongings and move my wife and young daughter to her parents home in Florida.

Sept. 21 Leland, MS to Gainesville, FL 690 Mi. Personal Auto
Sept. 23 Gainesville, FL to Jackson, MS 580 Mi. Greyhound Bus
Sept. 24 Jackson, MS to Killeen, TX 505 Mi. Charter Bus
Sept. 25 Fort Hood, TX
Oct. ??? Fort Hood, TX to San Francisco, CA 1,472 Mi. Train
Oct. ??? San Francisco, CA to Honolulu 2,398 MI. AF Troop Transport
Oct. ??? Honolulu to Wake Island 2,302 Mi. AF Troop Transport
Oct. ??? Wake Island to Tokyo, Japan 1,984 Mi. AF Troop Transport
Oct. ??? Yokohama, Japan to Inchon. S. Korea Army Troop Ship
(Don't remember if we stopped at Pusan, S. Korea. If we did 1,421 Mi. If not, 1,269 Mi.)
On or about Nov. 1 Inchon to Pyongyang, North Korea, 130 Mi. Army Truck

The total distance was about 11,482 miles if we made a stop at Pusan and 11,330 if we did not stop at Pusan. Most distances are standard air miles so the total mileage could have been greater.

The temperature at Fort Hood was in the 90's and when I arrived in Pyongyang the temperature was about ZERO.

The methods of transportation were quite varied. Personal auto, Greyhound Bus, Charter Bus, Train, Air Force Troop Transport, Army Bus, Army Troop Ship, Navy Landing Craft and Army Truck.

Five of us finally found Team "C" of the 205th. Signal Repair Company in a huge warehouse larger than our indoor football practice facility with one small portable oil heater. The warehouse could have served as a frozen food storage facility. But, at last, we were with a unit although there were only about 20 of us total. We could honestly say we were greeted with a cold reception. Little did I realize the next time I would feel warm would be in March 1951 when I went back to Japan to join other remnants of our company.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Traveling Is So Much Fun

Jul 10, 2019, 4:23 PM

Mr. C. You are a living hero from my father's generation, the greatest to ever bless this nation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Traveling Is So Much Fun- Joe pls compile these

Jul 10, 2019, 5:52 PM

into a book. Seriously I enjoy the,. I wish you had a collection of them published.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Traveling Is So Much Fun

Jul 10, 2019, 6:05 PM

Wow - a long cold time - Joe !! Thanks to you and all members of your generation - my Dad included - for your service !! Without this - not sure what language we would be speaking ... German ?? Mandarin ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Joe - What Was Make and Model of Car For MS to FL Trip?

Jul 10, 2019, 7:52 PM

That had to be a beastly drive as roads and cars were not quite as comfortable as now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe - What Was Make and Model of Car For MS to FL Trip?

Jul 10, 2019, 8:03 PM

It was a pre-WW2 Chevrolet. I believe it was a 1941 model. I bought it soon after I was married and still at the Univ. of Florida. That reminds me of the story when I bought that car. I'll have to post that story one day.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe - What Was Make and Model of Car For MS to FL Trip?

Jul 11, 2019, 10:09 PM

Joe- Check your T mail....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,509
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic