Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Zion "I never thought I'd be able to play college bball in South Carolina"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Zion "I never thought I'd be able to play college bball in South Carolina"

Mar 22, 2019, 9:17 PM

Huh??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke is in NC and

Mar 22, 2019, 9:19 PM

They didn’t play us in Littlejohn

Stands to reason his comment

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Zion "I never thought I'd be able to play college bball in South Carolina"

Mar 22, 2019, 9:20 PM

T_I_P said:

Huh??

I heard that too. So, he confirms he NEVER had a thought to play at Clemson.

just proves to me

Mar 22, 2019, 9:20 PM

that he had no intention of coming to clemson or south carolina. honestly, he isn't a South Carolinian to me. North Carolina can have him. great basketball player though.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Translation

Mar 22, 2019, 9:25 PM

I knew that Clemson, Wofford, Coastal, CofC, or Furman - the basketball programs in SC - would never match the offers from Kansas or Duke.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gets it^^^^***

Mar 23, 2019, 10:00 AM

Well.....

Mar 23, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Translation ]

I doubt any great HS football player is gonna play at Woffard, UNCC, GT .....when they have offers from Clemson, Bama, Ohio State.

We aren’t a basketball power house. Not sure we ever will be. An unfortunate hand to play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Mar 22, 2019, 9:25 PM

We get all these 5 stars in football because they want to win a national championship you think he wants to come here to play in the NIT . Don't blame him at all for playing at Duke .

Mar 22, 2019, 9:43 PM

Well if he were here they wouldn't be playing in the NIT. You think if this team had that type of player Clemson would have been legit this year. Look at all the close loses we had, no way he wouldn't have been the difference in a lot of those games. I get he grew up a Duke fan and I guess when it boils down you can't fault them because all of us would have chose the Tigers based on our love for Clemson but the opportunity he had to be the King of this state I thought would be too much to pass up. Not too mention be THE guy at the university. He would have lived in Clemson lure forever. Duke will forget about him next year when they bring in the next crop of one and doners. I'm not saying coming to Clemson but anywhere in this state he could have immediately made that team a place where other elite guys would want to go. Can you imagine young kids seeing him in that Clemson orange and saying "man I want to play there"? Zion talked about how Coach K was going to build his brand through the Duke brand, if I was Brownell I would have told him he was a brand in and of himself. He didn't need Coach K to build his brand. He'll have companies falling at his feet throwing money at him. I guarantee he signs the biggest shoe contract ever as soon as he leaves Duke. Obviously Brownell isn't a great recruiter, especially high school players and too me he lost Zion for Clemson.

Mar 22, 2019, 9:54 PM

TigerAidan said:

Well if he were here they wouldn't be playing in the NIT. You think if this team had that type of player Clemson would have been legit this year. Look at all the close loses we had, no way he wouldn't have been the difference in a lot of those games. I get he grew up a Duke fan and I guess when it boils down you can't fault them because all of us would have chose the Tigers based on our love for Clemson but the opportunity he had to be the King of this state I thought would be too much to pass up. Not too mention be THE guy at the university. He would have lived in Clemson lure forever. Duke will forget about him next year when they bring in the next crop of one and doners. I'm not saying coming to Clemson but anywhere in this state he could have immediately made that team a place where other elite guys would want to go. Can you imagine young kids seeing him in that Clemson orange and saying "man I want to play there"? Zion talked about how Coach K was going to build his brand through the Duke brand, if I was Brownell I would have told him he was a brand in and of himself. He didn't need Coach K to build his brand. He'll have companies falling at his feet throwing money at him. I guarantee he signs the biggest shoe contract ever as soon as he leaves Duke. Obviously Brownell isn't a great recruiter, especially high school players and too me he lost Zion for Clemson.

So you think Trevor Lawrence would go to Duke to make a statement that "he's the man?" Idiotic post, if I'm Zion I choose Duke as well.

EXACTLY. I don't blame him one bit for going to Duke.***

Mar 23, 2019, 2:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 23, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Zion "I never thought I'd be able to play college bball in South Carolina" ]

TigerAidan said:

If you really want to put the blame where the blame belongs...???? in my mind that makes him a lying sack of ?? because he was not only telling our staff he was coming but that he would bring someone with him.

nice backhanded comment....***

Mar 22, 2019, 9:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Who cares?

Mar 22, 2019, 9:55 PM

He'll be playing for some NBA team next year anyway. I like good basketball but it's getting harder and harder for me to care about a sport where all the best players only play for the team for a year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and a sport that is completely controlled by the

Mar 22, 2019, 9:59 PM

subjectiveness of its officials.

I have grown to loathe basketball. It is entirely too manipulated by wanna be jocks / control freaks who couldn’t make the grade playing - so they became officials.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

...so they can make the 'tips' on the side...***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over the years a lot of South Carolinians ranted and

Mar 23, 2019, 5:19 AM

railed about the number of talented football players leaving the state after high school.

Now, both Clemson and South Carolina have enjoyed many of our top-level players choosing to remain home. Much of that (to me) has been attributable to Dabo Swinney and Steve Spurrier.

I didn't blame Zion for going to Duke...he chose the easiest and logical path. However, we'll need a basketball Swinney and Spurrier to make our own hoops stars look homeward. And that will require both schools to do a whole lot of soul-searching...something I have wished for over 50 years. Hopefully, Clemson will lead the way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't care that he chose Duke, but

Mar 23, 2019, 3:13 PM

that was not a nice comment.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic