Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question... I am 24 years old
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Serious question... I am 24 years old

Jan 15, 2018, 5:34 PM

Born in 1993. To me the greatest Clemson team I've ever witnessed was the 2015, 2016, 2012(Defense wasn't quite ready) teams. 2012 maybe questionable to some but that was a Championship roster no doubt. A few things just didn't go our way... My question to the older guys. From top to bottom is this 2018 CLEMSON FOOTBALL TEAM the greatest ever assembled? Or am I too full of myself? I mean literally from freshmen who haven't made a name for their self to seniors like CW and Austin Bryant?

If not this team, then what team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question... I am 24 years old

Jan 15, 2018, 5:36 PM

All depends on the play of the QB. D certainly shaping up to be the best. Depth will be unbelievable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if they go 10-2 and finish 2nd

Jan 15, 2018, 5:36 PM

in the division?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if they go 10-2 and finish 2nd

Jan 15, 2018, 6:02 PM

https://gfycat.com/PlushCandidFreshwatereel

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2018, 9:17 PM [ in reply to What if they go 10-2 and finish 2nd ]

Leave it to you to #iss on your foot Snowtown!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2018, 9:45 PM [ in reply to What if they go 10-2 and finish 2nd ]

Snowbird what if we are beating your coots 97 - 3 at the half ......and Dabo plays all the reserves the entire 2nd half to finish out the game.....which is more likely to happen than Clemson going 10 -2 next season.....Go Tigers!!!!!

The best D was probably early 90's with Chester and Levon.

Jan 15, 2018, 5:40 PM

Opponents would rarely pass the 50 yard line. That said the game has changed.

Top to bottom on paper this is the beast roster of talent I've ever seen at Clemson. They just need to prove it on the field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The best D was probably early 90's with Chester and Levon.

Jan 15, 2018, 5:41 PM

Or the defense DW4's freshman year. There's just so many, in different ages of the game. Regardless 2018 is going to be fun.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:05 PM

I really wanted to put that 2014 team on my list, but the only thing that held that team back in terms of being complete top to bottom was us lacking the run game... Adam Choice took over mid-way, was playing good until he got injured. Gallman stepped in but he didn't hit his potential until the next season. We started the 2014 season with DJ Howard and Cj Davidson... Not complete in my opinion at RB that year

Jan 16, 2018, 2:37 AM

I always though that Gallman did a great job at RB toward the end of the 2014 season. I think the biggest weakness for the offense was the inconsistency of Cole Stoudt in 2-3 games. There's no doubt that his level of play would have been better if he had been the starter all year of course, but starting Deshaun was the obvious call when he was healthy. If Deshaun had started against FSU we likely win that game with the additional 1st quarter TD to the TE that Stoudt missed.

Cole's worst performance was the GT game filling in after DW4 went down, but that was the week that he didn't even practice bc of illness, which affected his play. There's no doubt that he made up for any mistakes with his very impressive performance in the bowl game against Oklahoma though. I've always felt like Elliott did a much better job calling plays to fit Cole's skill set in that bowl game than Chad Morris ever did during the year.

Jan 15, 2018, 6:01 PM [ in reply to The best D was probably early 90's with Chester and Levon. ]

Didn't our defense score more points than they allowed one of those years?

Jan 15, 2018, 6:16 PM

I think your right. I completely forgot!

Levon Kirkland might be the greatest freak athlete of all time. Played Middle Line Backer at 270-300 pounds, ran a 4.5 40, and regularly covered NFL running backs out of the backfield.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: The best D was probably early 90's with Chester and Levon. ]

Clemsons defense that year outscored their opponents in 4 games, against nc, wake, Long Beach st and illinois

It's the most talented by far.

Jan 15, 2018, 6:04 PM

We will see if they play the best.

Top to bottom, we've never had more talent than we do now,

Jan 15, 2018, 6:34 PM

and I've been watching Clemson football all of my life (58+ years). To put that into perspective, I was 21 years old when we won the National Championship in 1981, and I have pretty clear memories of teams and players going back to the late 60s. Make no mistake, there are quite a few T-Netters who have seen more Clemson football than me, but I can make the above claim with a great deal of confidence.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Our defenses under Coach Ford were good too.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

I believe our defense was ranked in the top ten for a few seasons in the 80s. I remember '89 and '90 being pretty good on defense. I can't remember the offense, but I don't think we were that great on the offensive side. Definite drop off in offensive production during the dark days that were Hatfield after CDF was fired.

I remember the Perry brothers, Levon Kirkland, Jones, McGlokton...

I'm really excited and looking forward to our defense next season. I believe our best defenses to date have taken the field in the last 3 years for sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1989 and 1990 teams were absolutely loaded!

Jan 15, 2018, 9:36 PM

How those teams lost any games is still an absolute mystery.

The 1978 team is still one of the best we've ever fielded, as well.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have always thought that if Danny had not “retired”

Jan 15, 2018, 9:42 PM

we would have won a Natty in either 90 or 91. Both those teams were loaded. Poor Hatfield just didn’t know how to coach those guys and those players had zero respect for him as well.

Consider this...

Jan 16, 2018, 1:33 AM

The 1981 team held the defending national champion Georgia Bulldogs to just 3 points. Teams averaged a mere 8.75 points per game against our defense. We held three top 10 teams to a combined total of 26 points. I’d say that was a pretty good defense. I would love to see the 2018 D eclipse that!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Consider this...

Jan 16, 2018, 1:53 AM

Our D that game also forced 9 turnovers if Im remembering right.

Assuming Trevor Lawrence is as advertised

Jan 16, 2018, 2:22 AM

No doubt this will be our best team ever. On paper, we'll have no weaknesses.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic