Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To parents upset about Clemson’s admissions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 551

To parents upset about Clemson’s admissions

Feb 13, 2018, 7:42 PM

I am a current in-state student, and yes I am a legacy. Getting rejected sucks, there’s no sugarcoating it. Sadly, my generation hasn’t been trained to handle it, instead giving out participation ribbons and easy grades. Complaining and getting angry with Clemson is not only childish, but it sets a bad example for those who look up to you. When faced with adversity, how do you (or your kid) respond? I didn’t get in to Clemson because I was a legacy and neither should anyone else. People get outraged because their 1200 SAT, 4.2 GPA kids get bridged (FYI there are people who get with those scores but that is definitely not common). If you stick your nose up to the bridge then you’re not a true Clemson person, so you should encourage your kid to think about it. Appeal and if that doesn’t work then the bridge is still a great choice. But please do not act like your child is special and Clemson somehow betrayed you, because that will only hurt your kid in the long run. Clemson is a special place and always will be. That’s why it’s becoming so competitive. There are a lot of 3 and 4 star football players that Clemson doesn’t offer despite it being their dream. Guys like Hunter Renfrow came and walked on, and of course won a championship. Guys like Nyheim Hines go to other schools, and he’s going to the NFL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To parents upset about Clemson’s admissions

Feb 13, 2018, 9:13 PM

Getting upset with Clemson is not a bad thing as a parent. My daughter did not get bridged and graduated from Clemson. Both my kids are college graduates so my complaint is not from that perspective.

My gripe is because I love this state and kids have a desire to go to a school that they have admired and watched their entire life. They study hard, work hard, make great grades and have great SAT scores and still get put into Bridge. Of course that is disappointing and it should be. The reality is that most of Clemson loyalty comes from those who are in state and people in general from SC

I hope parents to do thing their child is special. If they don't they probably shouldn't be parents. ha... If you are a current in state student I don't think you have a real view of how a parent can be hurting their child. You haven't lived long enough to know that. Trust me, that is not a knock on you.

I just simply go back to Clemson's Charter. Clemson was formed to be a school for the kids of rural SC. Of course you are going to have some out of state students, but we shouldn't accept out of state students or foreign students at the expense of some great in state students just to get more money.

As a parent, I would rather send my kid to Tri-County Tech for two years and save a ton of money and then them transfer to Clemson than to attend Tri-County Tech and pay a Clemson tuition. At the end of the day both will have a ring from Clemson! Bridge is just a clever way to say you are in Clemson but attending TCTC.

Feb 13, 2018, 9:32 PM

You’re right about me not understanding what it’s like to have kids haha. That was harsh of me to say no one is special (everyone is special to those that love them).
There is one thing to think about that a lot of people miss. Over 60% of the school is comprised of students from South Carolina. There are a few Yankees that come that don’t appreciate Clemson as much as a lot people that don’t get accepted. However there are a lot of students that are not from here that find that they love Clemson and the state of South Carolina. In order for our state to continue to compete economically we need to have both a technically skilled labor force and a highly educated group. The latter is what’s holding the state back (usually towards the bottom in education rankings). Having a school like Clemson allows our state and it’s businesses the opportunity to attract talented people. Clemson also uses out of state students for money, but it makes school cheaper for us in state students. Also without the high number out of state students, Clemson wouldn’t be a top 25 public school.

So basically what you are saying is....

Feb 13, 2018, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: To parents upset about Clemson’s admissions ]

That Clemson should admit all in-state kids just because they are from South Carolina? Or because they grew up wanting to go to Clemson? What about an out of state kid who has always wanted to go to Clemson?

Times have changed, people. Clemson is a high profile University but it isn't getting any bigger. They have to draw the line somewhere

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So basically what you are saying is....

Feb 13, 2018, 10:40 PM

What I am saying is the kids from SC should have major priority.

I'm not sure when, but I do believe it will happen one day when someone challenges Clemson legally based on the charter of when Clemson was formed. I heard a lawyer speak to this and said it will be very interesting should it ever happen because the Clemson charter will be what is used. It is hard to argue against the charter of the school.

This discussion is about the Bridge program.... my point with Bridge is just simply tell kids they didn't get in. But to come up with some program that "says" you are a Clemson student but you are actually attending Tri-County Tech is a little disingenuous in my view. And at the same time you are attending Tri-County Tech you are paying the Clemson tuition. Doesn't make sense to me.

I know kids who have done Bridge and glad they got in. I know kids who did Tech and got in. One paid a lot less money and one got Clemson their ring at the end of 4 years for one and 5 years for the other.

Feb 13, 2018, 10:55 PM

The school only let in white people when it first opened as well, and I'm assuming a person would be laughed out of court if they tried to argue it should still be that way today. I'm sorry, but I'm not for lowering the entrance requirements just because little Johnny lives in SC and had a dream. The person from a different state who did better in high school, may have very well had a dream of attending Clemson also.

well said

Feb 14, 2018, 1:21 PM

this whole "in state kids should be favored" argument is nonsense, especially considering the fact that Clemson admits more in-state kids anyways

Feb 13, 2018, 11:32 PM [ in reply to Re: So basically what you are saying is.... ]

I’m sorry but I believe your argument stating that kids from SC should have priority is a major mistake and a narrow minded view. I knew nothing of Clemson growing up in a small northern town. I had no clemson paws on my shirt, I didn’t grow up dreaming of playing football for clemson or even understanding any of that, but I was lucky enough to get into clemson and on a whim decided to go there.

I learned what it was all about , and how special it was to be a clemson student and eventual alumni. I paid my way to both national championships and had tears in my eyes when my school won it all. I fly flags as high as any South Carolina born student would , cover my vehicles In stickers and all I do is talk about clemson to everyone I see.

The difference is I do this in a place where clemson isn’t the talk all year round. I educate new people on what it means to go to this special place, how so many people before me went there and sacrificed their lives in the end. I feel it is important that you have people like me spreading the word way beyond South Carolina about how special clemson really is.

So when every time we get a new recruit or how excited I am that we actually make the tourney this year and text my old roommates both from SC who are legacy students and are surprised to hear the news because I have such a passion for everything clemson, just remember that it’s not about where you’re from or what legacy you have from the past, it’s about the legacy and passion you take forward with you.

well said, great post***

Feb 14, 2018, 1:22 PM

Feb 14, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: So basically what you are saying is.... ]

So you think that a lesser-qualified, in-state student who applies to Clemson should be accepted over a more-qualified, out of state student?

Feb 13, 2018, 11:13 PM

Thanks SolidOrange, for pointing out a valuable lesson. We are not teaching kids how to deal with rejection these days. Parents are way too quick to make a few phone calls and try to fix things, instead of keeping watch while the kids learn to face and overcome problems. It is hard to sit back and watch your child deal with disappointment, but we as parents have to be aware we aren't necessarily helping if we don't give our kids a chance to work out a few answers for themselves.

Replies: 10
| visibility 551
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic