Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger Paws in Wisconsin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Tiger Paws in Wisconsin

Oct 8, 2018, 11:26 AM

I have been a member of Lions International, a service organization, for more than 68 years. During that time I have attended about 30 Lions International Conventions all over the world. When Clemson began issuing the Tiger Paw, hundreds of Tiger Paws were always a part of my traveling items. The Tiger Paw was a treasured gift and was an "ice breaker" in meeting fellow Lions from throughout the world. The Tiger Paw seemed to have magical powers as it was able to transcend all language barriers. Many long-lasting friendships have developed over the years and has led to many events where the Tiger Paw was involved his story is about one such incident.

One of my Wisconsin Lion friends had served as an International Director, one of the highest offices in Lions International. Several years ago, Lions in the area where he lived were having their annual District Convention with an estimated 350 - 400 Lions and their guests in attendance. The guest speaker was one of my South Carolina Lion friends, who was at that time serving as an International Director.

My South Carolina Lions friend was a graduate of a school in North Carolina but, having lived in the Columbia area for many years, had become a die-hard Gamecock fan. Over the years we had a lot of friendly banter over our favorite teams, The Wisconsin Lion, aware of our friendly banter, sent me an email asking it I could suggest some prank to pull on my South Carolina friend. I responded that I would mull it over for a couple of days and let him know.

When a Lion dignitary is the guest speaker at a Lions function, such the one in Wisconsin, there is a certain protocol that transpires. When the speaker is introduced and approaches the podium, all in the audience stand. This act was the key to my suggestion. I had in my possession at that time about 100 2" stick-on Tiger Paws. I sent these to my friend in Wisconsin and suggested he distribute these to these sitting at tables nearest the head table. Have the men put the Tiger Paw on the inside of their coat lapel. The ladies could put the Tiger Paw on their pocketbook or some other object. It was important to keep the Tiger Paw concealed until the proper moment.

Following the introduction, as my South Carolina friend approached the podium, the men flipped their coat lapels and the women uncovered their Tiger Paw. The place went wild as my friend gazed at all of those Tiger Paws, somewhat in stunned silence. When the laughter had subsided he announced to the audience, "I know exactly who is responsible for this and his name is Joe21".

My South Carolina friend now lives in North Carolina but we still see eack other on occasions and laugh about all of those Tiger Paws in Wisconsin.

Long live the Tiger Paw !!!! Don't leave home without a generous supply !!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger Paws in Wisconsin

Oct 8, 2018, 12:32 PM

Great story, Joe!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Thx Joe21 & know i’ve left PAWs at Alcatraz Prison, UCLA book Store..

Oct 8, 2018, 1:51 PM

on Stanford Stadium Seats, at Rose Bowl Men’s Room, on rental car rear windows (in Paris too) and on license tags of Coot strangers in Cola.

Go TiGERS & PAWs uP (at an angle of course)! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thx Joe21 & know i’ve left PAWs at Alcatraz Prison, UCLA book Store..

Oct 8, 2018, 3:23 PM

Lightbulbbill --- I didn't know you had served time at Alcatraz. That should make for an interesting story.

I have never made a count of the Tiger Paws I've given away but taking a wild stab I estimate it is somewhere between 10,000 - 15,000. I do know I left 1,000 in Pakistan because I took 500 on each of two trips. I took 1,000 to Taiwan, Hong Kong and China and another 1,000 to Australia and New Zealand. The small Tiger Paws came 100 per packet and I usually took five packets when I traveled and here were timees times I did not give out the entire amount on that trip.

Remember the TV program, "Dallas"? I was attending a meeting in Dallas and we went out to the ranch where DALLAS was filmed. There on one of the gates was a Clemson Tiger Paw. I was accused of putting the Tiger Paw there but it wasn't me. Never did find out who beat me to the gate.

At a Lions Convention in Chicago there was a fairly large delegation from Russia. I had been invited to their hospitality room and was treated royally. I "Pawed" all of the Russians and had an interprter explain the Tiger Paw and Clemson Univ. One of the Russians asked if he could have some to take home with him. I gave hime 200 and asked him to spread them among his friends. So, there went between 200 - 300 Tiger Paws to Russia. As a side note -- there were some good looking women in that Russian delegation and it was a pleasure to PAW them.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Joe, you’re a funny Hoot...

Oct 9, 2018, 4:41 PM

wait...

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic