Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tidbits from CFP ranking #1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Tidbits from CFP ranking #1

Oct 30, 2018, 10:33 PM

This is looking at the current CFP top 10 teams (order 1-10) and the W-L of each respective team's opponents so far this season. (UCF is an addition simply due to the publicity and the fact they are undefeated)

Alabama: .446
Clemson: .613
LSU: .632
Notre Dame: .508
Michigan: .544
Georgia: .536
Oklahoma: .455
Wazzu: .569
UK: .508
Ohio State: .404
UCF: .364

Some of my takeaways

1. Strength of record is a decent metric for objective comparison, but is used inconsistently by the committee.
2. UCF absolutely does not deserve to be in the top 4 or in the "first two out"
3. Alabama cupcake schedule confirmed. The Tide will play against only the third team on their schedule posting a winning record, which is ironically the team with the highest opponent W-L in the top 10 - LSU.

Overall, this doesn't really bother me at all, since Clemson is proven to do what it takes to make the playoff (i.e. play to their standard). But this does put perspective and I think questions the legitimacy of the committee's weight on "strength of record" or "strength of schedule" when it is used more of a means to an end

Message was edited by: Fridge_Perry®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tidbits from CFP ranking #1

Oct 30, 2018, 10:38 PM

Excellent post if accurate. The point is lazy journalists and the CFP are Alabama/SEC homers. Why?

Rounding error

Oct 31, 2018, 11:30 AM

It seems I made a rounding error on Alabama's opponent W-L. Instead of .446 it is actually .438

Oct 31, 2018, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Tidbits from CFP ranking #1 ]

Alabama's margin of victory tends to offset their weak schedule. So does Clemson's, given Syracuse was an unusual outlier due to internal issues. But beating the stuffing out of your opponents gets you to #1 and #2. Playing each other tells the real story.

Oct 31, 2018, 1:51 PM

I agree. I also don't think that test will come this week. I honestly don't think LSU has what it takes to challenge - at least not yet. Second, with Cuse ranked in the CFP poll, it doesn't have as much of a negative impact on Clemson's strength of record. They are a surprising 6-2 team that is trending up

Oct 31, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Tidbits from CFP ranking #1 ]

Did I read or hear somewhere that margin of victory does not factor into the committee's rankings?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2018, 11:46 PM

This very much confirms how much Bama should NOT be included if they do not beat LSU. A loss plus getting to skip the conference championship game drops their stock to about that of .....UCF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check out Resumé S&P+ from Connelly

Oct 31, 2018, 12:11 PM

It takes a lot of these factors into account in terms of S&P+ rankings, strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc.

It has Bama at 1, us at 2.

My thought is if Bama shows they are mortal against the first elite defense they play, this narrative of “Bama and ROY” might calm down some but frankly I don’t mind hearing it because you know our players are hearing it too.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic