Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This may be like my washer/dryer recommendations post, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 607

This may be like my washer/dryer recommendations post, but

Jan 9, 2019, 4:03 PM

I may be having to buy a full size (or midsize) pickemup truck in the near future. And when I need it, I'll have to pull the trigger quick. The new Chevy is butt ### ugly and the deplorable in me is pizzed at them for taking their plants across el border after being bailed out if all that's true. That said, any of yous been in the new truck arena lately and done all the comparing?

Guana have to be crew cab. 3/4 ton (1500). 4x4. Lower end model for cost. It'll be a work truck that'll cover some miles. I'm no longer a brand loyalist. Open to the big three and yota. This truck won't be expected to tow much. it'll just haul some stuff and cover a lot of miles.

This may be a waste of time, but I don't think "they'll" dictaste what I buy as long as it fits the criteria. So....lemme have it....F150 will be my first test drive if this thing pans out, then Dodge, then Chevy and Yotota.

What says ye jounge!? Stupid responses are whalecum.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honda Ridgeline***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:07 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:no. I said TRUCK.***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:08 PM

Re: Re:no

Jan 10, 2019, 10:02 AM

Tahoe

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

too much $

Jan 10, 2019, 1:46 PM

but want pickemup truck

I have never owned one, but F150 will be the pick of the

Jan 9, 2019, 4:11 PM

bored, and if I was shopping for one, I'd look at it first, prolly diesel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have never owned one, but F150 will be the pick of the

Jan 9, 2019, 4:14 PM

Agreed. Personally I’d want diesel too. Gas will be paid for. Probably will go with gas because of initial cost. However that eco diesel dodge looks good. I’m sure it’s more expensive though.

agree then, for going gas powered.

Jan 9, 2019, 4:16 PM

my next door neighbor has a 4WD diesel F250 that is so beastly that the weiner extender effect carries over to me just being next door.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My '15 2500HD diesel had that same effect

Jan 9, 2019, 4:24 PM

But daily driving it it was a chore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he has an ancient Tacoma for a daily driver.***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:30 PM

You could haul more in a train.***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes but I’m no engineer***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:12 PM

i've been looking recently

Jan 9, 2019, 4:15 PM

seems like the F-150 is the most bang for the buck.

I have a 2007 Tundra now that I have loved, but it's got a tranny problem under the hood and in the drivers seat.

Can you give the tranny my #?***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm starting to shop around right now

Jan 9, 2019, 4:18 PM

I think I'm going to move up to a 2500 though, if you're driving a lot of miles, you may want to think about the same. My 5.7 Hemi had a lifter failure at around 150k miles, due to the MDS system. It's called the AFM system on the Chevy 5.3, but it's the same problem and stems from not getting enough lubricant to the lifters when 4 cylinders shut down. I'm finding it's a pretty common issue, and really no fix aside from a tune to delete the MDS/AFM, which I'm personally not willing to do on something under warranty. GM 6.2's don't seem to have that issue.

I've only ever talked to two people that have had issues with the turbo's on the ecoboost, and they were covered under warranty. But they said it's fairly big $$$ if you have to replace out of warranty. That scares me about those, and if I'm going to get 16mpg anyway, I want a V8.

The Ram's ride and drive the best IMO, and the Sierra's are right behind them. I just can't like the F-150's for some reason, but they look like a nice truck, otherwise.

Tundra's get awful gas mileage, and honestly I don't want to pay that much money for what's essentially a 2008 model truck. They just need a big update.

You'll be aggravated with a mid sized truck within two weeks if you're someone who actually needs a truck fairly routinely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's funny you say that about the old tundra style

Jan 9, 2019, 4:27 PM

mine is a 2007 and nobody believes me that it's that old.

I guess it does look like the new ones, and yeah they do keep some value, but they are asspensive

Re: I'm starting to shop around right now

Jan 9, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to I'm starting to shop around right now ]

Thanks, I think I will too but I'm still going to look at them. If this happens, the wj is probably gonna be gone with a 4 wheeler replacing it, maybe a SxS so I can stay on the trails. Maybe build up the WJ even more and put it on a trailer. The new truck would get used as a truck more personally than on the clock. The up front cost of the 2500 would be an issue as I'd only get $650/month for the payment. All other costs are reimbursed. Just depends on how it all works out. There will be no down payment this go around as it's the first one. After that, I'd be trading every 3 years with hopes of a 3 year finance. I could also lease, but that's probably not an option with 50k miles/year.

Thanks for the input on the rest. I've always been anti ford until the my company forced them on us and I know a couple of f150's that are freakin' nice, as in comfort and mpg, but they suck on the work side like hooking up to a tractor or camper and actually "working" but if that's 10% of it's use, I'll tolerate it. I haven't driven a new chevy, but will based on the @iIneligible user's experience and comments below.

Before I gave up on getting a new truck,

Jan 10, 2019, 9:26 AM [ in reply to I'm starting to shop around right now ]

I looked at the GMC Sierra's those are freaking nice and not bad on price.

I rode in my BIL's new Chevy Silverado. Rode like a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail. Not sure if that's the case for all of the Silverado's or just his. Hated it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

If you can find one, pick up a '18 GMC/Silverado

Jan 9, 2019, 4:23 PM

at a discount since you dislike the new body style. Its growing on me and looks better in person than in pictures. Interior is meh, but thats a personal taste thing I guess.

I bought a '18 GMC last february with the the 6.2L SLT 4x4, max tow, big ### mirrors. Best engine they have IMO. I don't drive fords, and the 2018 Tundra I had for a few weeks was terrible. They supposedly last a long time, but I never would have been able to keep it that long to find out. I'd only recommend a diesel if you really need one to tow stuff.

Where I bought my Acadia has some

Jan 9, 2019, 4:25 PM

https://www.jimellisbuickgmcatlanta.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&model=Sierra+1500&year=2018&gvBodyStyle=Truck

Worth the flight and drive home

Jan 9, 2019, 4:26 PM

I don't know how these folks sell them so cheap, but they do.

www.laurabuickgmc.com

If I can remember this about 5 years from now when I convert

Jan 9, 2019, 4:31 PM

I will check it out

When/if I get another diesel, I'll probably fly up there and

Jan 9, 2019, 4:42 PM

drive it back. Local dealers can't get within $5k of their prices.

Buddy of mine bought a Buick Enclave for his wife up there.

Jan 10, 2019, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Worth the flight and drive home ]

$22k off the sticker.

He stopped at my house for the night halfway on the way home, and when we went through it found it had probably been a Chicago auto show display car....still had all the free giveaways in the compartment under the trunk floor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the lots of miles and budgetary reasons I would get

Jan 9, 2019, 4:23 PM

midsize. Better fuel economy (less money on fuel), lower purchase price, lower taxes, cheaper tires, lower insurance.

Tacoma or Colorado

If money isn't a problem, I would get a full size Tundra most likely.

Not quite true...

Jan 9, 2019, 4:28 PM

Same fuel economy as some full size trucks. Also nearly the same purchase price if you try. My loaded XLT F-150 was just over $1,000 more than I could get a similar Tacoma for. The Big 3 discount their full sizes a lot. Toyota and GM don't discount their models much, if at all.

Tacomas also get #### mileage since it's a torqueless car motor in a truck. You have to rev the hell out of it to go.

Right, not true if you compare a Ford to a Toyota***

Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 PM

exactly and I agree there probably isn't enough gap

Jan 9, 2019, 4:49 PM

in mpg between mid's and full's in overall driving. I would like to see real comparisons on Silverado vs Colorado and F150 vs Ranger. I'll be researching this over the next few days as this may happen quick....if it happens.

Tundra gas mileage blows.

Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Not quite true... ]

I had it for about 800 miles and never saw more than 13 mpg. That and that popping noise every time you leave for the first time was annoying AF. I think the platinum 4x4 is around $49k OTD, but its basically the same truck they were selling in 2007, minus some sheet metal changes.

The constant on lights on the dash for the safety sensors is an annoyingly nice touch as well. Also, if the owner ever lifts it or even puts bigger tires on it, it could mess up the sensors and the whole dash will light up like a christmas tree.

yeah, aren't they geared 4.10? Helps with power, sucks at

Jan 9, 2019, 4:47 PM

the pump.

Not sure. Its an ancient 5.7l with a 6 speed transmission

Jan 9, 2019, 4:54 PM

not really even made to be fuel mileage conscious.

Somebody told me when i bought it that when they came out in 2007 they were the only light duty truck that had a 6 speed transmission, and in 2018, they still are.

money is a constraint

Jan 9, 2019, 4:33 PM [ in reply to For the lots of miles and budgetary reasons I would get ]

If things work out, I'll be going from having a company car with all expenses paid that isn't mine to a company car/truck that I own, but all expenses are paid/reimbursed to a point. Even if having a truck pushes me over the $ reimbursement, I don't care as I'd have a truck anyway and that's better than having 2 vehicles. Some of the guys buy a camery and pocket the rest of the allowance. I'm not opposed to the new Colorado. I just saw that they had a diesel and don't know the cost or mpg yet. I'm 6'4" with a fam of 5, so I might not be happy with that but I'll look at it for sure. Point taken on all the costs. I'm kind of in @lLakebum1®'s camp on the full size vs midsize. I know two 5-6 year old F150's that get 20 easy on the interstate. That golf cart mode would drive me nuts I think. I'd just have to drive it.

I have a 2018 F-150

Jan 9, 2019, 4:25 PM

It's a SuperCrew, 4x4, and 3.5L Ecoboost. It's go MaxTow which means I can tow 12,700 lbs with my 1/2 ton. I'm getting 17.9 MPG over the 12,000 miles I've owned it. I really like the truck. The cheaper, more fuel efficient 2.7L EcoBoost is pretty quick too.

The new Chebby sucks. Go read Car & Drivers review. About the only redeeming quality is the ridiculous tailgate that's only available on high end models. The bigger motors are pretty quick. Haven't heard any real feedback on the Turbo-4.

The new Dodge seems to have a great interior on the higher end models. But it's brand new for 2019 and Dodge/FIAT/Chrysler sucks for initial and long term reliability. It's also the slowest of the Big 3 trucks. It's got a Hemi though.

That tailgate is only on the GMC

Chevy has a auto up tailgate option, but not the tri folding one like the GMC.

The golf cart cut off/start up at stop lights equipped engine in the F150 would be enough for me to not buy one.

My wife’s Honda has the red light cut off

Jan 9, 2019, 4:30 PM

I thought I’d hate it but I don’t notice it anymore

I guess pushing a button to disable the auto start-stop is

Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 PM [ in reply to That tailgate is only on the GMC ]

Too difficult? That's where we're at as a society? Oh no, I have to lift my arm up and push a button.

And expect nearly everything to have auto stop-start within the next few years.

Everytime you drive, yes.

Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 PM

yes it is.

Yes. This is the sort of #### that fuggs everything up long

Jan 9, 2019, 4:34 PM [ in reply to I guess pushing a button to disable the auto start-stop is ]

term. Just like the eco mode on my Ram. I'm buying a pickup truck, not a fugging Prius.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever it takes to get them past CAFE

Jan 9, 2019, 4:51 PM

I didn't know the F150 golf cart mode could be disabled easily. I can tolerate that.

button right on the dash next to the emergency flashers.

Jan 10, 2019, 8:53 AM

And if your battery is too low then it won't work either. Mine hasn't worked in a few months because the battery is 4 years old.

But I have 20.0 MPG lifetime over 23,000 miles with the 2015 2.7 6 speed which included hauling that #### boat around. I normally get 20.5-21. 22 if I'm not stuck in traffic a lot. The new ones are 10 speed I think so probably get a little better mileage

Re: That tailgate is only on the GMC

Jan 9, 2019, 4:55 PM [ in reply to That tailgate is only on the GMC ]

Didn't know there was special tailgates. Don't need a special tailgate, but a locking tailgate will be good since I'll have a cover over it for trips.

Nevermind, I watch SEAL Team and saw that. Don't want it or

Jan 9, 2019, 4:56 PM

need it.

Is anyone actually real world testing these new tow capacity

Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 PM [ in reply to I have a 2018 F-150 ]

ratings? I cannot imagine towing over 10k pounds in an F-150 more than 35mph or so. Kind of seems....misleading.

Yeah its not the towing, its the stopping.

Jan 9, 2019, 4:40 PM

My 10 year old 4runner V8 could probably tow 12000 lbs in 4wd.

I wouldn't want to be in front of it at a stop light though.

Excactly. I remember towing my KW2020 and stopped like a

Jan 9, 2019, 4:53 PM

train with my tahoe. Pulling the 31' camper, i could stop on a dime with the WD hitch and trailer brakes. Not a fair comparison but big diff in weight that show's importance of added equipment.

a 2500hd/F250 is a ton beefier than the its 1500/150 baby

Jan 9, 2019, 4:57 PM

brother. Funny--My 1500 series 6.2L max tow is rated to tow 12,500#, and my '15 2500HD diesel was rated to tow 13,300#.

You tell me which is more realistic.

Exactly. The 150's/1500's

Jan 9, 2019, 5:05 PM

are nowhere close to the 2500's. Somebody's gonna get killed hooking up to that kind of weight and not knowing what they're doing.

I also have the supa-high tow rating in my F150....I'd

Jan 10, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Is anyone actually real world testing these new tow capacity ]

tow 9-10k in it with no worries. I can't imagine what I would want to tow that would weigh 12k pounds, regardless of the truck used.

If I got a boat that big, it would live in a slip.

If I got a camper that big, it would be a motorhome.

If I had to tow stuff like that for work, I would get a new job.

I've owned a 2500 before (Chevy 2500HD). For the 99.9% of the time that you're just riding around town, the 1/2 tons are SO much more comfortable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd tow 9-10k with mine without too many worries

Jan 10, 2019, 9:36 AM

As long as I was going under 50 mph, and not going too far. My truck will get my boat going fine, and it stops OK with the trailer brakes....but I think it'd be pretty scary if a tire blew on the interstate, or it was too windy.

By the time you have a real world load in your truck too, that rated tow capacity has diminished considerably.

brakes are the key.....I'm towing 6500-ish with my boat

Jan 10, 2019, 9:41 AM

and trailer, and I know for a fact my trailer brakes are sketchy as helllllllllllllllllllllll.

There ain't much surge braking going on with them. Coming to a hard stop when towing it with my wife's Cayenne a couple years ago, I kept rolling about 30 feet longer than I would have liked.

Changed out the master cylinder on the tongue, and it's better, but one of the drums is still jacked. Gonna swap em to discs this spring.

I had a pristine '91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Jan 10, 2019, 9:47 AM

That I sometimes would tow my Grady 205 with. The jeep had had disks in teh front and drums in the rear. The trailer had Kodiak stainless disk brakes on both trailer axles. The jeep would actually stop better with the boat behind it. Come up to a stop light and I could feel the boat slowing me down.

I haven't put mine on a scale, but I figure I'm right around

Jan 10, 2019, 9:53 AM [ in reply to brakes are the key.....I'm towing 6500-ish with my boat ]

that weight. I wish I had brakes on both axles, I suspect the dealer put the smallest possible trailer under the boat they could get away with.

How's the F-150 handle it with bad brakes?

In SC, trailers that weigh > 3500 bs are supposed to have

Jan 10, 2019, 10:00 AM

brakes on all axles. You should take it back ad tell them they sold you a trailer that is breaking the law. I'm sure he'll get right onto putting more brakes on the trailer.

I'm going to have to put new brakes on my trailer this year because I have TieDown brakes, and they are good for about 6-8 dips in saltwater, and thats about how many times I have used my trailer. Tiedown = kleenex; one use and they are disposable

LOL, I doubt I'll ever get anything else out of that guy

Jan 10, 2019, 10:15 AM

It's been almost 4 years to the date, and I haven't been back to that dealer since the break in oil change when he pissed me off.

My trailer is only rated for 5200 pounds....My boat is ~4700 pounds dry. If I keep the boat, I'll probably end up replacing the trailer in a few years.

I knew you didn't exactly see eye to eye with him

Jan 10, 2019, 10:22 AM

That would be a fun conversation to watch

It actually does a really good job with the braking,

Jan 10, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to I haven't put mine on a scale, but I figure I'm right around ]

especially given the condition of the trailer brakes.

I can't decide if I'd ever like electric brakes or not. You ever towed a trailer with them? I've only towed with surge brakes, so not sure of the diff.

electric over hydraulic is the chit.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:18 AM

much smoother application, no slamming into the trailer ball, and you can adjust how soon you want them to apply. They add some to the maintenance, but when I had my Grady I thought srsly of converting my mine from surge to electric/hydraulic.

I think I'd like it too....my only concern would be

Jan 10, 2019, 10:25 AM

the instance I needed to tow with a vehicle that didn't have an EBC. Probably a never-happen occurrence, but with my luck it would.

You that could be an issue.

Jan 10, 2019, 10:30 AM

You'd def have to know what you were towing with in advance.

yes=you

Jan 10, 2019, 10:30 AM

Typing is off today. I guess I need to get the ciircle r thingy back.

I've never towed a trailer with them, but I'd have to think

Jan 10, 2019, 10:19 AM [ in reply to It actually does a really good job with the braking, ]

hydraulic would be the better way to go on a boat trailer since it's getting dunked. Maybe for a toy hauler or something they'd be a better option, no idea.

Since I have to rebuild my brakes this year on my trailer

Jan 10, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to It actually does a really good job with the braking, ]

anyway, I knew the E/H pump and battery would add about $800 to the cost. What I didn't know, however, was that the BUILT IN brake controller on my truck (and maybe yours...who knows) WON'T WORK with most E/H actuators. WTH?? Gotta add one of these things, too:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-37667.html

I probably wouldn't have added E/H for the little boat I have now anyway, but how mad would THAT get you if you added the other $800 worth of crap, and they STILL didn't work?

Re: It actually does a really good job with the braking,

Jan 10, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to It actually does a really good job with the braking, ]

Only thing I've towed with ebrakes is a big fawkin' camper. It was great. I could almost stop the truck with the trailer brakes. As mentioned, the only drawback is that the truck has to be equipped.

Re: I have a 2018 F-150

Jan 9, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to I have a 2018 F-150 ]

These EcoBoosts make me nervous. I'm a displacement guy lol. But if it is what it is, so be it.

Just remember if you go with an F-150

your Clemson magnets won’t stick to it.

I got 238,000 miles out of my Nissan truck but it was bought 18 years ago so they could be schyatt by now.

Yeah, and the doors wave at you when you shut 'em, but

Jan 9, 2019, 4:53 PM

even happens on my ole man's sheet metal '12 F150.

Re: This may be like my washer/dryer recommendations post, but

Jan 9, 2019, 4:54 PM

That would be nice in ATL and CLT traffic. Even Greenville

Jan 9, 2019, 5:01 PM

these days. I hate my trips to Babalama.

I also have an 18 F150 and highly recommend, so I hope

Jan 10, 2019, 9:10 AM

you enjoy your new Dodge Magnum!!!

Wait, Obed drives a Ford ?

Jan 10, 2019, 9:53 AM

I expected he was driving a 2019 Snooty IPA 350.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoy it, it feels really quaint. I feel it helps me

Jan 10, 2019, 9:57 AM

be more relatable to the common man.

It's such a hoot, I get in, turn on my heated seats, connect my apple carplay, and ride off, feeling like a real steelworker or cowboy, heading off to my blue collar job!

That's prolly where I'll be heading.

Jan 10, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to I also have an 18 F150 and highly recommend, so I hope ]

and i see what you did there!

Replies: 71
| visibility 607
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic