Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is the first time that I think our running game is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

This is the first time that I think our running game is

Dec 31, 2018, 2:37 PM

better than bamas. Give me ETN over anyone on their roster any day.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feaster is nearly as good at pounding into a D-line as...

Dec 31, 2018, 2:43 PM

their starter. After that we go back to nasty speed and brutal twisting and turning with Tee and the same with Lynn J. Maybe Lynn J is a bit faster than the others. I'd say overall we're in better shape on RBs than Bama but that starter for Bama is a beast.

I count their backup OB as an RB too. Maybe that brings them a bit ahead of us. Hurts is a monster and always falls two yards forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is the first time that I think our running game is

Dec 31, 2018, 2:45 PM

Running game is actually my biggest concern. Against better opponents we have struggled to get push early in games. We typically piled up yards later in games. We'll need to control LOS and clock early.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 2:47 PM

yep. unless Etienne breaks a long one or 2 I don't see us rushing for more than 150 yards in this one...Unless bama completely sells out to stop the pass game instead of rush game. No one has tried to just stop our pass game this year.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:34 PM

Duke!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so fast!It's not about early game push.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: This is the first time that I think our running game is ]

By staying constant at the running game.We chip away at the defense.The fact we have 3 VERY capable backs to keep fresh legs rotating in is what makes the difference later in the game.Wear ol Saban's front 4 down by chipping away.Beat'em down the rest of the night.
In the mean time Trevor and the receiving core are lighting the defenders up.I'm ok with this.

This is spot on. Etienne broke the big one once the passing game got going

Dec 31, 2018, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: This is the first time that I think our running game is ]

But other than that it was 2-4 yards per carry. I thought Trevor Lawrence running really opened up the offense a bit. We have struggled a bit to run against good fronts. I don't see us lining up and knocking Bama off the ball on offense. Pass protection is generally really good, but with the zone blocking we aren't going to knock them off the ball consistently.

The passing game will have to open the running game - most likely in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I don't think our O Line can run-block as well as

Dec 31, 2018, 3:14 PM

Bama's O Line. Our rushing yardage has mostly come against bad run defenses.

Where you been?

Dec 31, 2018, 3:18 PM

Ratcheer's some pretty durn good O-line run-blocking:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1079550601355243525

That was a defensive stunt play.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:24 PM

Trevor actually read it about the time it developed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah but outside of that one run we didn't run well against ND

Dec 31, 2018, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Where you been? ]

and Bamas going to be much more difficult to run on. Hopefully we can break one or two long ones against Bama because the consistent running game won't be there.

Re: Where you been?

Dec 31, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Where you been? ]

That hole was so big because it was mis fit by their linebacker. He was supposed to fit the a gap and instead he fit the b gap. On a run blitz, that will give the offense a hole big enough to drive buses thru. We got lucky on the play.

Re: Where you been?

Dec 31, 2018, 3:51 PM

I agree we got lucky, but it still was well-blocked - all across the line. I've been critical of our O-line run-blocking for a long time, but it's beginning to improve.

OU's defensive line did fine against Bama's run blocking.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:21 PM [ in reply to I don't think our O Line can run-block as well as ]

Tua was a threat even if he isn't 100%. OU didn't figure that out until near half time. Our coaches know it now.

Well your thinking wrong. They way those running backs punish the defense is ridiculous.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:17 PM

Sure we have a little speed but their running backs tend to lay the smack down and just keep the pile moving forward. Advantage bama for running back and offensive line.

Re: Well your thinking wrong. They way those running backs punish the defense is ridiculous.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:20 PM

We're not pushing the pile as much as we did with Wayne Gallman, but we're improving - particularly with Adam Choice.

Gallman couldn't run on Bama either.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:33 PM

He averaged about 3 ypc in our two games against them.

LOL!!!... you have some nerve coming back here..

Dec 31, 2018, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Well your thinking wrong. They way those running backs punish the defense is ridiculous. ]

I surely remember this fine gem you posted over the weekend...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL!!!... you have some nerve coming back here..

Dec 31, 2018, 6:33 PM

BahaHAA! Can’t hide from dumb posts on the net! Good one!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well your thinking wrong. They way those running backs punish the defense is ridiculous.

Dec 31, 2018, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Well your thinking wrong. They way those running backs punish the defense is ridiculous. ]

Maybe OL but they certainly do not have am advantage at the RB position. Yes they have a good stable of backs but no better than ours.

Nah. ETN might be the best back on the field but they have several really good ones

Dec 31, 2018, 3:31 PM

and, more importantly, their OL will fare better against our DL than our OL will against theirs. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we have any real success on the ground. Like in the Watson games we will try to run some to keep them from teeing off on the QB, but I'll be surprised if we average more than about 3 YPC.

Trevor Lawrence is going to have to win us this game. I hope he's ready.

Re: Nah. ETN might be the best back on the field but they have several really good ones

Dec 31, 2018, 3:38 PM

I think we all see our OL has improved as the year progressed.

Re: Nah. ETN might be the best back on the field but they have several really good ones

Dec 31, 2018, 3:41 PM

TL will RUN and pass us to victory. Watch him take off now and then to change the whole dynamic of the game. He started to run a little the last game and that will continue. I feel good about the game.

We may be forced to try that, but it's risky. Bama headhunts

Dec 31, 2018, 6:24 PM

QBs that try to run. And i mean that both literally and figuratively. They may not "intentionally" try to hurt QBs (they also might!), but they certainly don't try to avoid it either. They will hit him high and hard if he doesn't get down, and even if he does slide look for them to take some of those grey area shots on him when they hit him as he's going down.

Trevor is 6-6, 215 pounds.. if he takes one of those nasty hits some of our guys took in the 2016 natty he will be done for the night. DW4 got up from the sandwich roughing the passer hit in like the 4th quarter and then again from the crazy helicopter hit later in the game. I'm not sure Trevor is physically mature enough to take either of those hits right now.

Bama has 3 beast at runningback ( as always )

Dec 31, 2018, 7:02 PM

they won't use them as much unless they get a lead -- offense has changed from what it use to be -- Tua will throw first,run second -- Damion Harris is a senior that has been their top running back for the last 3 years,although he's had less than 50 yds or so the last 5 games ( throw first* ) the kid from Oklahoma __ #8 Josh Jacobs came into the game with a vengeance against Oklahoma & was brutal ( 98 yds. 15 carries*) !!! then the big 3rd stringer*______________ we have a group of RB's just as strong, if we can get a few blocks from the line ( that's the key**) __ You can match up the depth charts and it's like looking in a mirror __ will be a knock down / drag out fight to tha' finish _____ we must come out & start ""MEAN / QUICK"" _ play intense football,all ""FOUR QUARTERS"" __ ""FINISH"" __ do this and we win the game !!!!!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic