Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Athlon picks Alabama over Clemson for 2019 title
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

TNET: Athlon picks Alabama over Clemson for 2019 title

May 20, 2019, 1:03 PM

Athlon picks Alabama over Clemson for 2019 title

Athlon Sports released its 2019 college football season projections on Monday, where they see Alabama avenging its 44-16 loss to Clemson this January. Their 201 Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Athlon picks Alabama over Clemson for 2019 title

May 20, 2019, 1:06 PM

LOL! Here we go.... Go Tigers!

Keep feeding them the rat poison.***

May 20, 2019, 1:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i dont understand "defeats like that dont happen to Saban"

May 20, 2019, 1:07 PM

Well, I was there.

Yes sir they do. It happened. Defeat. By a lot.

To Saban.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i dont understand "defeats like that dont happen to Saban"

May 20, 2019, 1:09 PM

Absolutely!

#bigfacts***

May 20, 2019, 1:30 PM [ in reply to i dont understand "defeats like that dont happen to Saban" ]

May 20, 2019, 1:36 PM [ in reply to i dont understand "defeats like that dont happen to Saban" ]

That's fake news.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2019, 1:39 PM [ in reply to i dont understand "defeats like that dont happen to Saban" ]

Ha! I laughed out loud when I read the part where these schmoes said Alabummer had the best receivers in the nation. How soon they forget Ross and Higgins. Guess Justyn will just have to pull in a few more one-handers. GoooooooTigers!!!!!!

I saw this at Wal-Mart during lunch. Lindy's did the same.

May 20, 2019, 1:10 PM

they can go no where but down from here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whenever I hear that "Alabama has the best WR group" line

May 20, 2019, 1:12 PM

I just shake my head.

They have no tall impact receiver. At least none that I've seen make an impact . . . certainly had none in Santa Clara.

Waddle, Ruggs, Jeudy, and Smith are all 5'10" to 6'1".

Higgins and Ross present much more of a nightmare to defenses than anything Bama brings. And that was before Ladson and Ngata.

Jeudy is every bit as good as Higgins or Ross

May 20, 2019, 2:00 PM

I think our overall WR corp is slightly better but it is pretty close.

You like the writer obviously did not watch the natty?***

May 20, 2019, 10:25 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't JUST watch the natty. I watched 15 clemson

May 20, 2019, 10:39 PM

games and about 10 Bama games and im basing my statement on all of them. Jeudy is really, really good.

Also, he had 138 yards against us and averaged nearly 28 ypc so perhaps you should rewatch the natty.

Re: I didn't JUST watch the natty. I watched 15 clemson

May 22, 2019, 12:23 AM

You watched the stats...not really the game. Yes he had 139yds and about a 27.8ypc avg but you forgot the key part.

He had 5 catches for the game

4 were in the 1st half for about 91 yds
His last catch was the last play in the 3rd qtr...for like 48yds.

He had some big catches...especially his 1st catch for 62 yds and a TD. After that...he had 2 12yd catches on the same drive they got their FG. So 86 of his 91 1st half yds...came in the 1st qtr.

Coach V and the defense adjusted and he was a non factor after the 1st qtr for the most part.

You like the writer obviously did not watch the natty?***

May 20, 2019, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Jeudy is every bit as good as Higgins or Ross ]

Tigersandcubs. I always respect your opinion but the thing about the Bammer

May 21, 2019, 12:28 AM [ in reply to Jeudy is every bit as good as Higgins or Ross ]

WR Corps is that they always have one great one that will win awards and go first round.

After that they dont seem to do a good job of letting the QB make reads and distribute the ball

It's like they set their QB up and he targets his top WR and they will get one or 2 BIG plays like that against every opponent.

Clemson prepares a QB for the league. Letting them manage the game, check between run and pass based on pre snap reads. Coach your QB right and trust him to get it done.

Saban has never trusted his QBs to really run the O. Look at David Cutcliffe. I feel like our QB coaching is right in line with what he teaches QBs. Remember peyton manning? His commercials have really gone downhill

Edit: name all of Bama's WRs in the league and they'll all be that #1 guy. Saban wanted Ross for this honor. He was a bigger pickup than we even know yet.

Message was edited by: TigerDominance®

Re: Tigersandcubs. I always respect your opinion but the thing about the Bammer

May 21, 2019, 9:15 AM

That is a fantastic point and I have been trying to say that. The comment is spot on. Saban likes to have a true number one. A big strong physical specimen that can out muscle you out reach you and literally take over the game. When we signed Ross Saban was shocked. He couldn’t believe it. He was a lock for Alabama all the amazing catches he made in the title game where on the Bama sideline too. So they got a first hand look. Athlon sports is just guessing. They’re basing it on that Clemson could become complacent. That’s what is so awesome about college football kids aren’t there long enough to get complacent.

I think you are correct for about 95% of Saban's years as

May 21, 2019, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Tigersandcubs. I always respect your opinion but the thing about the Bammer ]

a college head coach, but last year was a very different Alabama offense than what they've fielded in every other year of Saban's tenure. That team didn't score points by running the football and hitting you on play action, they came out throwing and used the run to mix it up a little or maybe as a plan B.

A typical Bama team under Saban would hammer you over and over again with the run and just wear you down with that plus elite defense and field position. Then at some point in the 2nd half they would just break the game open ripping off huge runs and throwing PA bombs to Jones or Cooper or whoever their alpha WR was at the time. Sometimes they would just come out and annihilate teams quickly, but often you would have 17-6 type scores at HT that quickly became 38-6.

2018 Bama came out slinging the ball all over the field looking to land a first half KO rather than trying to wear the opponent out. They were like the Mike Tyson of college football. And, as we found out with Tyson, if you could survive the opening flurry against them there were cracks underneath that could be exploited.

Anyway, that's getting slightly off topic. My point is really that they spread the ball out much more this year and they had a lot more really talented WRs at their disposal to do that with, and i think the 2020 and 2021 NFL drafts will ultimately bear that out. Jeudy is going to be a 1st round pick next year and i think Ruggs will probably go Day 1 or Day 2 as well. Waddle, from everything I've seen so far, could easily be a 1st round pick in 2021. And although he won't be on next year's team, their TE Irv Smith just went in the 2nd round of this draft after having a very productive 2018 season.

CF National Champ isn't decided by Athlon! Any mag! Writer!

May 21, 2019, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Tigersandcubs. I always respect your opinion but the thing about the Bammer ]

Thankfully - they have us ranked #2. I agree with the poster who said, "we clearly aren't on the ROY bus anymore; so something else will have to do"!

People can dismiss those OC's being gone all they want; but I think they become easier to defend with Sarkisan!

Anyway, Clemson Tigers 2019 1st goal is get ready for Georgia Tech! The rest will take care of itself.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly what I was gonna say.

May 22, 2019, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Whenever I hear that "Alabama has the best WR group" line ]

Bingo.

May 20, 2019, 1:18 PM

I can see why. We lost our entire DL, our center, and LT. We lost a lot of starters. I am glad they have Bama 1. Rat poison.

pretty much everyone came back for bama

May 20, 2019, 1:42 PM

their backups get lots of reps too, so the ones that do come back are like starters anyway

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They play about 20 players less per game***

May 20, 2019, 10:28 PM

Re: They play about 20 players less per game***

May 21, 2019, 8:35 AM

Might want to adjust your sarcasm meter there.

WOOT! Please do not rank us #1.

May 20, 2019, 1:19 PM

Stay hungry and keep of the steady diet of rat poison.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good.***

May 20, 2019, 1:24 PM

Well isn't that a crock of shyatt!

May 20, 2019, 1:31 PM

Bama has the best WRs?

Does Athlon even research?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Well isn't that a crock of shyatt!

May 20, 2019, 1:42 PM

Does Athlon even watch the games?????????????

I listened to their podcast about the rankings last week

May 20, 2019, 1:33 PM

and they said they basically had Bama and Clemson dead even but cited a few things like our DL losses, Saban's supposedly better coaching staff, and trend of coming back with extra motivation and winning the title the year after losing in the playoff each time since 2014.

Re: I listened to their podcast about the rankings last week

May 20, 2019, 1:37 PM

The two coaching staffs are not equal . . . but their's is not the better one.

I can buy the "hunger/motivation" rationale as potentially an issue. It is indeed difficult to keep that fire burning when you just won one. But I believe Dabo's culture can do it.

2018 bama staff vs 2019 bama staff

May 20, 2019, 1:57 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

May 20, 2019, 1:44 PM [ in reply to I listened to their podcast about the rankings last week ]

Which particular coaching staff are they referring to? Last year's? The year before? Or the latest coaches du jour?

May 21, 2019, 8:19 AM [ in reply to I listened to their podcast about the rankings last week ]

If that is how it is seen, then Dabo has done the same after losing. But, we have played way more back ups than they ever thought of.

Best Receivers??????!?!

May 20, 2019, 1:36 PM

Did they watch the game?

Justyn Ross says hello.

But he's from Alabama...so they are kind of right.

May 20, 2019, 1:37 PM

;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2019, 1:43 PM

They're just trying to sell magazines. Kill two birds, bama fan base, and the bamacoots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2019, 1:49 PM

Good point. Satisfy the 'Bummer fans and get everyone one else all frothed. The points about Clemson losing the entire Dline and 'Bummer's extra incentive are well taken. But I certainly would not sell Dabo and company short. Not after beating the guys from Tuscaloser in two National title games.

I kind of agree--you know Saban has spent every waking

May 20, 2019, 1:44 PM

moment stewing over that game and coming up with ways to crush Clemson.

I expect Saban and Bama in 2019 to lead a scorched earth, no quarter campaign, destroying everyone in their path. #### hath no fury like a Saban scorned by Dabo.

Isn’t that what they did last year?

May 20, 2019, 1:52 PM

Or maybe they’ll expect Clemson to attack those “copycat plays?”

Yeah, this time Saban will watch film and expect Clemson to exploit their weaknesses.

WATCH OUT, CLEMSON!!! BAMMER’S ON TO YOU!!!

~JKB

Bring it don't sing it !!!!***

May 20, 2019, 1:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

SEC fans everywhere rejoice

May 20, 2019, 1:55 PM

...go to work with their heads-high, and look themselves in the mirror again.

Puff out those chests SEC-Fan!!

Halleluiah Athlon.

May 20, 2019, 1:59 PM

Lost all credibility putting Michigan in the top 5! They are the Georgia of the Big 10!

Awesome!

May 20, 2019, 2:00 PM

Since it's obvious we're no longer on the ROY bus, Dabo needs all the motivational material he can get. I hope they plaster that article on every locker.

I'm sure they'll have the greatest football team ever, again

May 20, 2019, 2:01 PM

this year. I love seeing Clemson beat the greatest team ever. I especially love when Clemson blows out the greatest offense in the history of the game.

Alabama is scared of Clemson like the rest of the SEC

May 20, 2019, 10:19 PM

is scared of Bama. That's why they run through their conference and why we will run through them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Athlon picks Alabama over Clemson for 2019 title***

May 20, 2019, 10:20 PM

May 20, 2019, 10:23 PM

L??L
????

May 20, 2019, 10:42 PM

This is just the same old baloney. Really cannot believe Michigan and Ohio State are in the top 5 again. Happens every year. What is up with that?! Such a joke!

May 20, 2019, 11:16 PM

Love it!

I Bet Vegas Has a Different Point of View***

May 20, 2019, 11:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is good -- actually I like ....

May 21, 2019, 12:59 AM

... starting as No. 2 !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 21, 2019, 2:38 AM

I understand why national writers believe Alabama has better receivers. The difference is most of us here think Ladson and Ngata will be impact players. If that happens and Amari Rodgers returns to full strength by the end of the season, it's advantage Clemson.

I think most sane people believe TL is better than Tua. Etienne is better than any Alabama RB. The O-line will be very good.

The interior positions on the D-line are where I'm most concerned.

I guess it sells magazines to the SEC loonies***

May 21, 2019, 3:21 AM

Bama is BROKEN

May 21, 2019, 3:37 AM

You don't lose a championship game 44-16 without having your psyche crushed. A game where the whole 4th quarter was garbage time. For the first time in a long time they face the prospect of not just losing, but of being embarrassed, badly - again. Three years ago it was all about revenge blah blah blah, before they got beaten 35-31. Now their mystique is gone, vanished. Even IF they make it to the NC, and I'm not even sure they will, they will be terrified of getting sent home with a blistered axx by us - again. They are built to beat the SEC (run d) , and we are built to beat them. They simply cannot stop our vertical attack. As if that wasn't laughably obvious last year.

May 21, 2019, 7:50 AM

Guess
what it happened under saban

May 21, 2019, 8:00 AM

Didn't Athlon pick Hillary to win the last election? 'nuff said.

Old habits are hard to break. We just need to give them some

May 21, 2019, 8:20 AM

more education this coming year. They will catch on eventually.

This is NOT the Bowl system,

May 21, 2019, 8:27 AM

It is the Playoff system! What have they done in it? Bama and Clemson are tied with 2, but if you look at the Natty Games head-to-head Clemson is 2-1. That is the game that counts. The chamionships from the OLD system are more opinion than winning it on the field in a playoff. Would like to see a few more teams in it, but no more than 10. That would cover the other conferences and independants. And if Bama cannot get their players in better shape than last year, then how are they going to survive?

Athlon not paying attention***

May 21, 2019, 8:43 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama has the best receivers in college football?

May 21, 2019, 9:02 AM

yeah, right.

Just wait until August / September

May 21, 2019, 9:43 AM

Much of the post-Natty love that Clemson has been getting will fade away. The talking heads will begin moving back to Alabama in droves. That will make beating them again all the more sweet.

May 21, 2019, 9:47 AM

They could be right, but who really knows what is going to happen in a game on a certain day and time, nobody, and what the person at Athlon is doing, is going with their darling team the way they have done over the past 5, 6, 7 years. The main thing that their darling hearts should understand, and that is, Clemson is pushing hard at recruiting on the same level as Bama, and the match up between the two teams (if not now) will very soon be a lean towards Clemson's favor if we keep recruiting on the same level as now, and hanging onto our coaching staff (Coordinators) the way we have for the last 7 or 8 years. It will continue to get harder and harder to beat the consistency that Dabo has going at Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2019, 9:52 AM

This is very concerning. Now I'm really worried.

Makes me wonder who they picked last year. :)

I wouldn't have it any other way.

May 21, 2019, 10:36 AM

They do this every year. They did it all last year, right up to kick-off of the National Championship game.

The just never learn. But I like it this way. Doubting the Tigers just makes our guys hungrier.

May 21, 2019, 3:26 PM

And that's why they play the games. Alabama would win every year if left to the media pundits.

No team has won B2B in the CFP era. I guess they forgot we no longer use the BCS.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2019, 5:56 PM

Thank goodness, we will do better as underdogs, not so much rat poison!

Bama has best receiving corps... WRONG!

May 22, 2019, 7:43 AM

maybe rewatch the natty and see who's receivers are better

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic