Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hypothetical Reputation Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,075

Hypothetical Reputation Question

Mar 15, 2019, 11:39 PM

Let's say you are a really talented team, maybe even the best team in the history of the universe, and you have demolished your opposition all year long. Some announcers even list you as the top 5 teams. Not the number 5 team, but ALL top 5 teams.

And then, in your final game, you run into a flat buzz saw. Your QB, who was hand delivered by God himself to the earth on a cloud of hype, gets suckered into a pick 6 in the first quarter. Maybe his very first one all year. By the second quarter your coach is already going for it on his own 35 in a desperate attempt just to say on the field and stem the rising...well, tide. Things get so bad your coach just runs the clock out before halftime simply to make it into the locker room without any further loss of blood. He gripes sourly to the TV audience that you seem to have have prepared while he has not.

Here's the question. At this point, is it more respectable to just come out and run the clock out with your base offense, particularly if you plan on giving up and moping on the sidelines in the 3rd quarter anyway, OR, do you continue to embarrass yourself with fake ankle injuries on jock-dropping pass-pattern jukes, pathetic fake field goals that make even the Georgia punt squad spit up their drinks laughing at you, and getting your holiest of QBs replaced midway through the 4th by your OTHER miracle worker QB, who also falls flat on his face.

In short, is your reputation enhanced by acknowledging your fate and taking it stoically like a man, or by thrashing around like a chicken with its head cut off in a futile attempt to overcome the inevitable, as it slowly and mercilessly crushes you into the dirt. Some people like the scrappiness of a fighter, no matter how pathetic, but isn't there also a certain dignity in acknowledging "Wow, we haven't even earned the right to be on the same field with these Champions" if you know it by the first quarter? This may be applicable for a similar, upcoming game next January, so I'm asking for a friend now. Breaks my heart to see the greatest ever humiliated in anything.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypothetical Reputation Question

Mar 16, 2019, 12:33 AM

This hypothetical sounds oddly familiar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 16, 2019, 12:58 AM

It’s important to know where you are, otherwise it’s a shocker when the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

Mar 16, 2019, 6:34 AM

So when did Nick Sabin care about reputation?

If I understand you right, Son

Mar 16, 2019, 7:19 AM

You're saying take what's coming...grin and bear it. The reality is, you're in prison, whether you drop the soap, or not, the outcome isn't going to change! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2019, 9:29 AM

Glad you included that blowhard stephen a smith’s ‘top 5’ bit. Watching and listening to him and fbum BOTH eating crow, crying, and otherwise continuing to double down on their mistakes has to be in my top 10 (with Clemson over bama in two natties being #’s 1 - 5 !!!)

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

They never gave up. We just crushed their spirit!***

Mar 16, 2019, 9:55 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Do I detect contempt in your tone?

Mar 16, 2019, 2:28 PM

Cause I'd be OK with someone agreeing with my contempt for all the Bama hype.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2019, 4:26 PM

Same as a coach who has a bunch of lummocks that couldn't REID and never go to class and never even get a demerit...Weird how The World Turns during a Secret Storm with The Young and Restless...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,075
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic