Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't know if you folks have seen these Athlon
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,362

Don't know if you folks have seen these Athlon

Feb 14, 2019, 2:00 PM

2019 College Football Player Rankings or not......

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-early-top-50-players-2019

its almost as if the people who compiled this list missed the entire National Championship game a few weeks ago

Sorry if germanic

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't know if you folks have seen these Athlon

Feb 14, 2019, 2:11 PM

To see that Justyn Ross and Tee Higgens combined don't crack the top 20 same with XT who was a freak show last year shows it's a bust.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So how would your ranking differ?

Feb 14, 2019, 2:16 PM

Not saying I agree entirely with Athlon but I'm not saying that I would have all Tigers in the top 5.

If Ahlon is way off base, how would you correct?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well obviously 1-22 should be Clemson starters..***

Feb 14, 2019, 2:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Did he say...

Feb 14, 2019, 2:28 PM [ in reply to So how would your ranking differ? ]

all Clemson players in the top 5? And based on last season would you not put JR in the top 5?? Tell me ANYONE who is clearly better than him at WR.

Now if you wanted to make a case for replacing Etienne in the top 5, I’ll listen. He wasn’t always dominant, although I do think he’s top 20 back who had a lot of big chunk runs against some poor defenses. But Lawrence and Ross are the two best players in country, in that order.

Message was edited by: Flying Tiger®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First, 'most impact,' has a loaded definition.

Feb 14, 2019, 2:34 PM

It reeks of personal opinion which eliminates any stats or facts from the discussion. This is a fact and not just my opinion.

My opinion is that Trevor, Ross and Higgins all belong in the top three because there isn't a coach out there who has a QB he wouldn't trade for Trevor or a WR he wouldn't trade for either Ross or Higgins. Maybe that's a fact too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did he say...

Feb 14, 2019, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Did he say... ]

ETN statistically was the most dominant RB in power 5 football so I don't know how you think he's just a "top 20 RB" when he had 8 more TDs, more YPC, and had 103 less touches than Taylor who's ranked ahead of him 1208 of those yards coming against Miami, Rutgers, Purdue, and New Mexico.. So you could say the majority of his yards came against the worst teams they faced all year.

When I said top 20 I meant...

Feb 14, 2019, 6:49 PM

top 20 in this list. He's certainly one of THE premier backs in the country and he's one of the 20 best players in the nation. But having lots of breakaway runs against some real bad teams doesn't make him the best RB in the nation. Strong defenses have pretty good success at shutting him down. Other than the TD run in the first half, he didn't have any real strong runs against bama until the last drive when their good, but overrated defense had given up. His TD runs were good, but short. The shuttle pass foiled them.

He's not a smash-mouth, run it between the tackles 25-30 times a game kind of back that carries an offense against quality defenses. Our offense isn't built to do that anyway. And that's ok!! We pass to open up the run. Choice and Feaster are better running between the tackles, straight at defenses.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

.He didn't indicate he 'entirely disagreed with Athlon.'

Feb 14, 2019, 2:30 PM [ in reply to So how would your ranking differ? ]

He said that they must not have seen the NC game which suggest that Clemson players might not have been ranked highly enough to show proper respect. I agree. Both our Higgins/Ross combo and our QB should have been ranked higher.

Anyone who saw the game would have picked Trevor as the highest impact player and anyone who thinks the 347 with no picks against Bama rates Trevor lower than Tua (1) is not keeping up.

1. Tua had two picks and sees phantoms. Tajh Boyd could have done what Tua did if he'd had that offense around him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So how would your ranking differ?

Feb 14, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to So how would your ranking differ? ]

Justin Fields isn't on "my" list. There's no evidence yet stating why he deserves to be top 50 best CFB players. XT was a mess on the field for everyone, constant pressures on the QB and it goes deeper than just "TFL and sacks" Amari Rodgers nowhere in the top 50? Come on.... Ross and Higgens are easy top 10s and Rondale more takes a back seat to either one of them had he come to Clemson, TL clear cut #1. AJ Terrell makes the list, this guy has been under rated and over looked his whole time here and Clemson and he's been stellar, Isaiah Simmons also has to be one of my favorite linebackers in the country. He drops into coverage not only against RBs and TEs but also will break off after a receiver as he's long, extremely fast, and will fight for a 50/50 ball. To me those 2 easily make the top 50 since clearly they're not going off of statistics.

Imo, they pizzed a lot...

Feb 14, 2019, 2:54 PM

less people off than they would have had they picked Trevor as first and put Ross and Higgins in the top ten with him. Either way the clicks and reads would have been about the same.

They must have not watched the natty to have Tua ahead

Feb 14, 2019, 3:12 PM

of Trevor!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2019, 3:20 PM

Well, it was said that Justin Fields was better than Trevor also, how did that turn out? Trevor won a Natty his first season in college FB. Justin Fields, well he will have to wait and see bc he couldn't beat out the QB on the team he went to, and he has transferred. Trevor on the other hand, beat out a QB that played in the playoffs the year before Trevor was on campus but, the QB that Justin Fields didn't beat out, he hasn't seen the playoffs yet!!! I'll take our #2 Trevor Lawrence over #1 Justin Fields any day!!! Trevor won a Natty, and Justin Fields, well, he will be trying to beat out the backup QB at OSU bc, the starting QB will be moving on the NFL, Justin Fields gets lucky, maybe!!!

Now just think for minute, all those that are saying Tua is a better QB than Trevor, they are some of the same people that were saying that Justin Fields was a better QB than Trevor last year. It's clear to anyone looking or listening, they aren't judging the QBs, they are judging the teams they're going to, and Trevor has proven just how incredibly stupid those people really are... Hold up wait, Trevor hasn't only proven how stupid the talkers really are, he has also proven how incredibly stupid the people who pays those talkers really are also!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2019, 5:59 PM

We keep hearing if TL were eligible for the draft he would be the number 1 selection, yet he is the 2nd best QB ???

The writer obviously is an idiot or has an agenda, making the entire article bogus.

Athlon refuses to acknowledge the greatness for some reason

Feb 15, 2019, 1:30 PM

eSECpn still hypes up their precious conference more than they should, but at least they know that we're the best team in the country and have the best player.

It's the questionable "experts" over at Athlon that thinks Bama is better than us, thinks Tua is better than Trevor and thinks their WRs are better than ours. I agree; they didn't have the TV turned on January 7th!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2019, 1:40 PM

Collectively, Athlon rated Alabama's QB and receivers as better players than the Clemson guys who just beat the crap out of Bama. That is odd to say the least.

But I like it. Disrespect is a gift that keeps on giving. Dabo and Company apparently left a lot of doubt. So the competitors at Clemson will just have to play better in 2019. Their best did not impress Athlon.

(I hope the HT people are embarrassed over low rating Watson.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Collectively, Athlon rated Alabama's QB and receivers as better players than the Clemson guys who just beat the crap out of Bama. That is odd to say the least.

But I like it. Disrespect is a gift that keeps on giving. Dabo and Company apparently left a lot of doubt. So the competitors at Clemson will just have to play better in 2019. Their best did not impress Athlon.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,362
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic