Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If a change were to be made in basketball.. how would you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

If a change were to be made in basketball.. how would you

Mar 27, 2019, 12:46 PM

say Brownell has left the program?

I only ask, because, the mantra of the excuse makers is that he took over a dumpster fire, despite the fact that he took over a team that went to 3 straight NCAAT's.

If he were to be let go, and someone brought in... would you consider them to be inheriting a dumpster fire? 1 NCAAT in 8 years, and nothing in the way of a bench coming back next year.

What would the expectation be?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If a change were to be made in basketball.. how would you

Mar 27, 2019, 12:49 PM

with who we have its not in great shape. if the kids he has signed come in for a new coach then maybe fair shape.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In an effort to not create more threads but also

Mar 27, 2019, 12:53 PM

Not hijack this-

Can we all agree on the problem with our program?

Is is recruiting? Is it game management? Is it scheme and strategy?

What is the primary problem we are looking to mend today?

My opinion is more game management and scheme. I actually think we’ve had some of our best talent over the past 6-7 years...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In an effort to not create more threads but also

Mar 27, 2019, 1:55 PM

This is not an attempt to create more threads, nor hijack this, but just one man's opinion with what I see as part of the problem, and one I have commented on, even earlier today.
Here is the problem as I see it, and it's only my opinion.
Brad is a good man, a good Ambassador for the University, a good X and O's Coach, even has a good grasp of how to coach.
The problem is in recruiting, and I don't mean recruiting "basketball players". If you watched any of the games last weekend(first and second round as I did), what Clemson seems to be lacking is that Zion Williamson, the Ja Morant(Murray St.), the Aubrey Dawkins(UCF), even the Coby White (UNC),"PLAYMAKER", that one or two guy(s) that can make a difference, that can take over a game, even win a close nail biter by his play. And let's not forget about Taco. Maybe not as talented,but he sure made Duke work for their win Sunday.
Now I know we were not going to really get Zion, but how do you let a local instate talent like Morant slip through your fingers without even a look. Even the coots passed him by, but somebody saw something in him, and even though they lost to FSU in the round of 32, guess which team "also" lost to that same FSU team about a month ago.
No, I think the biggest problem is not in recruiting "basketball players,.but in recruiting "basketball playmakers".If UCF and Murray St.why can't we?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We certainly haven’t had any Zion’s around here

Mar 27, 2019, 3:53 PM

But wouldn’t you say we’ve had playmakers in the past in Jaron, KJ, and Booker?

It didn’t change much.

Tell me where I’m missing it- or do we just need a dude better than these guys I’ve mentioned?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In an effort to not create more threads but also

Mar 27, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to In an effort to not create more threads but also ]

Can you name a single good basketball school that is as rural as Clemson is ? For football it doesn't matter, there are only are only ~6 homegames, it's an all day party atmosphere that is worth driving over 3 hours. Even if the team is mediocre the nostalgia rush is enough to catch a couple games for most alums.

Basketball has a ton of dates, often on weeknights, is not an all day party atmosphere, and is not something a lot of people are going to drive 3+ hours for especially on a weeknight even if the team is good.

Clemson just isn't really built to be a good basketball program over the long term. A lot of things that make Clemson a special football school just don't help or actively hurt for Basketball. All the good consistently good basketball schools have large towns\small cities that really support the team. Evidence has show that even if we find a guy that tastes some success, he's going to leave like OPP/Barnes who want to cash in before it falls apart.

I personally think people look at the OPP years with tinted glasses because the football team was always a bigger disappointment during those years. The ACC was extremely down the year Clemson went to the ACC tourney final. It only had 3 ranked teams including Clemson. He never won a single game in the NCAA tournament, and his post tournament record was generally poor. I think he made it out of the 1st round of the conference tourney twice. The program was clearly trending downwards when they left, I'm pretty sure when he saw Jennings/baby book weren't as good as the hype, he decided to take a payday. He did bring in more talented players overall, just didn't do much development beyond the gimmicky press every possession style of play.

I personally don't think Brad Brownell is "the guy" because if he was he would have likely already left. But people who think we could get a guy like Greg Marshall to leave Wichita State for Clemson are delusional. It's objectively a better job than Clemson.

We are in worse shape than when OP left, but better than

Mar 27, 2019, 12:56 PM

after Shyatt left. The facilities are definitely much better. Having said that, I do think we would be instantly better with a new voice and a new approach in their ears. Much like Coach Butler and the job she did this year.

My expectations for next year would go up with a new coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is less talent on the roster than when he took over

Mar 27, 2019, 2:17 PM

the job. However, facilities are much better now than when he took over. Most coaches are given at least 4 years to bring in "their own recruits" to fit their system so being the fact that facilities are improved, I think that coaches would slightly overlook the talent deficiency and see an opportunity to start fresh.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are a much more attractive coaching opportunity than the

Mar 27, 2019, 2:48 PM

low self esteem guys suggest. We are much better positioned than we've ever been. We should be able to attract the best coach we ever have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What makes it such an attractive coaching opportunity?***

Mar 27, 2019, 3:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What makes it such an attractive coaching opportunity?***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:07 PM

What makes it not?

Re: What makes it such an attractive coaching opportunity?***

Mar 27, 2019, 5:15 PM [ in reply to What makes it such an attractive coaching opportunity?*** ]

you get to hang out with Dabo one month out of the year doing the Prowl and Growls.

seems like that right there would make it worthy

From a basketball standpoint, it’s worse

Mar 27, 2019, 2:24 PM

than where he found it. Not Larry Shyatt bad though. The only positive is the facilities are much better.

Worse than Barnes but better than Shyatt

Mar 27, 2019, 3:41 PM

with better facilities and the extra bonus of two natties in football for advertisement.

Horrible shape

Mar 27, 2019, 4:00 PM

Attendance is poor, enthusiasm is low, and our roster next year is dreadful.

Re: Horrible shape- apt description

Mar 27, 2019, 4:03 PM

of coot football

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Horrible shape

Mar 27, 2019, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Horrible shape ]

NOT SAYING WE WILL BE BETTER BUT WE HAVE THE GUYS THAT PLAYED SOME THIS YEAR, 2 HIGHLY RANKED, FOR US, SIGNEES AND A SHOOTER FROM INDIANA COMING IN. PLUS THE TRANSFER THAT SAT OUT THIS YEAR THAT HAS GOTTEN A LOT OF GREAT REVIEWS. PLUS DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF WE BRING IN ANOTHER TRANSFER. FACT IS WE GOT NOTHING FROM SIMMS THIS YEAR. I THOUGHT HE WOULD MAKE A GOOD LEAP THIS YEAR AND IT DID NOT HAPPEN. MAYBE IT WILL CLICK FOR HIM NEXT YEAR. JUST SAYING I WOULD NOT PUT US IN THE SLAB 5 CATEGORY JUST YET. PLUS THEY GET TO TAKE A 2 WEEK TRIP TO ITALY THIS SUMMER.

reading that not only made my eyes hurt

Mar 27, 2019, 5:18 PM

but also made my ears hurt. congratulations! that took skill

No more hot potato around the key and throw-a-brick

Mar 27, 2019, 4:45 PM

It’s approach and style. We play a conservative game. As others have said, we have had some of the best talent in years, but they seems “constrained”. Let them horses run !

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic