Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think something is getting lost with the CFP system.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

I think something is getting lost with the CFP system.

Nov 7, 2018, 7:57 PM

It was about creating a format to bring in to 2 more teams to determine the national champion. Now, the media has turned it into something completely else, and us fans are buying into it.

Having the top 2 teams wasn't enough, and within just a few short years, people already want 8 teams. Guess what, fans of 9-16 are going to scream they didn't get into the playoff and you still have the majority of football fans crying about being left out.

It's not about gettin into the playoff, it's about find picking the top 4 best teams.

The likelihood that any team from 5-8 would win a natty, IMO, would be very narrow.

I'm not sure I want an 8 team playoff, b/c the same tired arguments will be used all over again, thus signifying that enough really isn't enough. More importantly, I don't want to see a 16 game season (even though, that could be an advantage for Clemson given how we've recruited and play our backup's backups.

And before we say, take a game off the regular season, that means Clemson would most likely lose that 7th home game, which I don't want to see either.

I think back to what Dabo said earlier. He like the idea that a team can end it's season with a win (ie. Bowl Game format for those outside the top 4). I like the idea that half of the teams 5-12 will win their last game as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, of course the #4 team will win when they have...

Nov 7, 2018, 7:59 PM

...all that rest and extra time to prepare.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really think one extra week off was why Bama won the Sugar Bowl?

Nov 7, 2018, 8:02 PM

They were a more complete team than us. If the committee’s job is to find the 4 best teams they did that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll never know...who else may have or could have...

Nov 7, 2018, 8:06 PM

...been the NC? We just don't know. I still say that to participate in the CFP you should have to have played the same number of games.

If Tua played that extra game...maybe he could have been injured or some other key player?

I don't see why anyone would want to argue with requiring every CFP team having played the same number of games.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you really think one extra week off was why Bama won the Sugar Bowl?

Nov 7, 2018, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Do you really think one extra week off was why Bama won the Sugar Bowl? ]

Omg...

No
But the fact they they didn't risk losing, or playing another top level team, risk injury, AND allowed to get healthy while their opponents were not afforded the same and in some cases punished because of their EARNED opportunity.

Some I'd jet aping Craptula***

Nov 7, 2018, 10:20 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Do you really think one extra week off was why Bama won the Sugar Bowl?

Nov 8, 2018, 6:22 AM [ in reply to Do you really think one extra week off was why Bama won the Sugar Bowl? ]

You’re buying into the fault of Alabama getting in last year. They were NOT a more COMPLETE team, otherwise they would’ve been able to get through their schedule & EARN a playoff spot. They weren’t deep enough to do that and were awarded a spot in the top 4 with rest & time for injured players to get healthy. Yes their first team was good & with Clemson’s deficiencies at QB last year it was a bad combination, but to think Alabama was more “complete” is wrong. That’s why there should be no committee and things should play out on the field. That’s how it is at every other level of football

I agree, the CFP should have eight teams***

Nov 7, 2018, 8:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think something is getting lost with the CFP system.

Nov 7, 2018, 8:02 PM

6 team playoff. 5 power 5 conference champ and a wildcard. Enough said!

There is ZERO justification

Nov 7, 2018, 8:12 PM

For any teams getting a 'bye' in a championship 'tournament'. ZERO. Play...or don't, but no free passes.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, no Byes

Nov 7, 2018, 8:31 PM

I'd vote for an 8 team, before a 6 team playoff with #1 & #2 getting a first round bye.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, no Byes

Nov 7, 2018, 8:37 PM

If you ask the coots, they would vote for a 100 team playoff so they might have a slim chance of getting in the natty!

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

CFP is 4 teams. Expansion talk is just that.

Nov 7, 2018, 8:12 PM

So nothing has been lost. We have 4 team playoff and folks talk a lot about expansion because some people listen. Remember when Clemson was talked about moving to the Big12? It is just talk. Ignore it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I supported an eight-team playoff from the beginning,

Nov 7, 2018, 8:52 PM

which I believed would allow a little more equal opportunity, if you will, among the conferences.

Over and over in my mind, I thought of scenarios where one conference placed two teams in the CFP often enough to provoke cries of bias among those omitted. An eight-team organization could allow for multiple appearances from one conference.

We can think idealistically; however, I've already read of rumblings from one of the Power 5 about bias toward another, and a possibility of withdrawal from the CFP...and, apparently, these weren't just fans griping.

The larger playoff could, also, possibly allow the committee to include a UCF, and if they can defeat three of the Power 5's, then he1l, give them the title.

In fact, I am convinced that it will be a 6 or 8 team system within five years or less, and I believe that will be a direct result of "politics" within.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think something is getting lost with the CFP system.

Nov 7, 2018, 8:53 PM

Bama sat on their azss while the other teams got beat up and also got championship film on the other three teams while they held everything to the vest....the the committee and ESPN is corrupt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a strong argument for only 2 teams.

Nov 7, 2018, 10:17 PM

1. Clemson
2. Alabama

Everyone else is on the ROY bus playing at a JV level.

BUT there's not enough money in it so they will pay Michigan and Notre Dame to show up and take their beatings.

and their money

Nov 7, 2018, 10:26 PM

nm

8 team playoff- consisting of the following

Nov 7, 2018, 10:32 PM

5 conference champions (win and you’re in)
2 at-large
1 highest ranked non-power five (like UCF)

Only thing I don’t like about that is us having to play and win ACC championship game and Bama getting to lose a game and rest that week while we are full-tilt to advance.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

I disagree with 2 of your main points.

Nov 8, 2018, 1:16 AM

1. Its not about getting the best 4 teams in, its about making sure we get the 2 vest teams in. Having 4 gives a 2 team buffer to screw up. Sounds the same, but the words matter. Best 2 teams, not the best 4.

2. A team from 5-8 can totally win, the point is theu didn't earn it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic