Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
bringing back up the Israel, Book of Revelation topic...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

bringing back up the Israel, Book of Revelation topic...

Jan 16, 2019, 11:09 AM

There are many people who interpret Revelation to involve dispensations, rapture, premillennialism etc... but these are all NEW teachings which all date to one man's theory on Revelation, John Nelson Darby. If you have not read about Mr. Darby who died in the late 1800s, you should.

Prior to about 1830, no church taught it in their creed, catechism, or statement of faith the understanding of Revelation that permeates the Evangelical churches today.

Prior to Darby, most all churches understood Revelation to be a form of writing, understandable at the time, and meant to provide comfort to those suffering under the heel of Rome. The numbers in the Book all have meaning which would have been understood at the time as do the characters/creatures. The were contemporary to the times.

However, if you divorce all context in which it was written, and divorce the literary form which would have been understandable, and you merely read a translation in isolation in the context of the 1830s, you get the interpretation of John Darby which, according to some, is now sacrosanct.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You use your mouth prettier than a

Jan 16, 2019, 11:32 AM

two dollar whore

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

well...it was more his hand....

Jan 16, 2019, 11:38 AM

so $1 #####

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey...how come you could use woar....

Jan 16, 2019, 11:38 AM

and mine got ####'d

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You use your mouth prettier than a

Jan 16, 2019, 11:44 AM [ in reply to You use your mouth prettier than a ]

???.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: bringing back up the Israel, Book of Revelation topic...

Jan 16, 2019, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up for shining a light on Darby's "work". There is relevance for modern times yet. The book was not relegated to a narrow window of the first century.
Evangelicals are about the stupidest Christians to ever live.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The whole Bible was written in the context of

Apr 4, 2022, 8:31 AM

ancient times, specifically for a particular audience that was living at that particular time. To me, it's very apparent with the book of Revelations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 16, 2019, 12:53 PM

I dare say that the OT, which pointed to the coming of Christ, was grossly misunderstood as well. Especially where it concerns the coming Christ and what they "taught" he would be like/do for the people of Israel.

On the same line, The writings that are gathered into the book we call the Bible, time is not restricted (nor intended to be understood in that way) to the contemporaries for when it was written. It has always been about what "is" to come - leading to the Christ and now to the New Heaven and Earth.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Darby certainly popularized some of these beliefs...

Jan 16, 2019, 1:01 PM

But I wouldn't say he originated them. I believe that there was a very small minority who held them, going back all the way to Paul. When compared to the whole of "Christianity," it certainly seems like almost "no church" taught it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, in the first Chapter of Revelation

Jan 16, 2019, 1:03 PM

It specifically records Christ as saying:

"Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this." Revelation 1:19

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

and C. I. Scofield's footnotes in his bibles led to...

Jan 16, 2019, 3:49 PM

the idea of the "rapture" (Schofield's views were based on Darby's teachings).

Jan 16, 2019, 5:21 PM

Can we do a Lord of the Rings book study next?

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic