Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where would Wofford have finished in the ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Where would Wofford have finished in the ACC?

Mar 22, 2019, 10:46 AM

I say no worse than 4th, maybe 3rd. This is a legit team that can be competitive with any team in the country.

I would love to see them play Virginia. That would be an interesting match up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where would Wofford have finished in the ACC?

Mar 22, 2019, 11:00 AM

Suggesting they would be 3rd puts them ahead of Duke, who was the 3 seed in the ACC tournament.

Also Wofford's non-conference schedule does not suggest that they rolled through great competition.

Losses to Oklahoma and Mississippi State are not bad losses, but give a hint that Wofford would not have rolled through the ACC outside of the top 3 teams either.

I hope Wofford beats Kentucky.

If they do then there is more reason to think they could have been around 4 or 5 in the ACC.

My current thought is that they would have finished behind the top 3 in the ACC, FSU, & VA Tech.

I think they would have fallen somewhere in the mix of the 10-8 and 9-9 teams after a full 18 game schedule.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2019, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I would say 3 or 4 also. They were a joy to watch last night. A lot of determination and fight in that team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did they not beat UNC at UNC?***

Mar 22, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Where would Wofford have finished in the ACC? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Did they not beat UNC at UNC?***

Mar 22, 2019, 12:49 PM

Not this season.

They lost by 11.

At home too***

Mar 22, 2019, 1:06 PM

Mar 22, 2019, 11:13 AM

There's a whole lot of recency bias going on in this thread. Wofford is a solid team, and looks poised to be VERY fun to watch moving forward in the tournament (though, I went to grad school at UK so I want the Cinderella to end before it gets started haha), but their regular season results against P5 teams weren't great.

11 point loss to UNC.

11 point loss to Oklahoma.

Huge loss to Kansas.

11 point loss to Mississippi State.

Granted they did put a whoopin on the Coots, but I have hard time believing they'd finish in the Top 3-4 in the ACC if they had to play through an entire ACC Conference Schedule grind. I'd say they'd probably have finished 6th-8th or so. I don't think they'd be ahead of FSU and VT.

They would have had a record similar to Clemson.

Mar 22, 2019, 11:16 AM

Beat the bad teams but lose to the top 4-5 teams in the league

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They would have had a record similar to Clemson.

Mar 22, 2019, 11:27 AM

I think a little better than us. On par with fla st. Probably would have split with va tech and fla st. Two from cuse, maybe beaten Louisville once. 11-7. Beaten nc state twice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2019, 11:32 AM

Wofford would be 5-13 to 6-12. Maybe 7-11 or 9-9 as a peak with a very friendly schedule vs the top 5 teams.

It isn't that they can't play well, but how well can they play when they take on Virginia, Louisville, Florida State, Duke in about 2 weeks and do they have the depth and rotation to continue their level of play.

It is one thing to get up for the UNC game at the beginning of the season and then have the away at Kansas and Miss. St. We saw was Wake could play an limping Duke team to a point so anyone can play a game well, but doing it over 18 games against the talent of the league is a lot more challenging.

The ironic thing, matchup-wise they will give UVA fits. However, the physically bigger programs will run roughshod over them.

Best case scenario would be 10th place.

Mar 22, 2019, 12:58 PM

I think a 7-11 ACC record would be best case, but 6-12 or 5-13 wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think they would be better than Georgia Tech, Boston College, or Miami.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I know it was just one game

Mar 22, 2019, 1:10 PM

but last night they looked like 7 points better than Seton Hall. And in my opinion Seton Hall is a respectable opponent, don’t you think they would at least be better than many of the bottom dwellers?

Re: I know it was just one game

Mar 22, 2019, 1:19 PM

Seton Hall was a bipolar .500 in a weak Big East without a dominant program (maybe nova can get hot). They had a few decent upsets over kentucky/maryland early that looked better than they were, but they escaped Miami and lost to Louisville at home. They also got blown out by Nebraska. So Seton Hall is bipolar so you really cant use them as a yardstick since they can be both good and horrific.

Shooting 32% from 3pts, I would bet Clemson would beat Seton Hall 8 out of 10 times.

Their conference record was 9-9 and that netted them a 3rd out of 10. We were 9-9 and were 9th of 15.

The thing about Wofford

Mar 22, 2019, 1:06 PM

is that they’re extremely reliant on the three, so basically if they have a good shooting night they could beat anybody if not they could lose to anybody. For example against Seton Hall last night when they were struggling from three they were getting obliterated, but then they when they were making threes they looked unstoppable. It’s very hard to say what they would’ve finished because i could see them losing to a team like Boston College and then beating a team like Duke the next game. I think they probably would’ve finished 5th after FSU.

Most of you forget they would have ACC refs to deal with.

Mar 22, 2019, 1:09 PM

Hence no shot at the top half of the league.

Not making excuses for Clemson here, but there are serious issues with officiating in this league. Well, basketball as a whole but let’s fix one thing at a time. At least get the ACC to be consistent and honest.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic