Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problem is not Santa Clara....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

The problem is not Santa Clara....

Jan 3, 2019, 12:03 PM

....the problem is 1000s of folks trying to fly out of small airports like GSP. Fares are already high because of the holidays and increased demand just drives up prices. Also trying to book flights at the last second when fares are at a premium.

I remember last year flights out of GSP or Asheville or even Charlotte and Atlanta were well over $1000 to New Orleans. Same thing with Phoenix the previous 2 years.

It's the same principle as the Holiday Inn in Clemson charging $850/night for the FSU game....with a 2 night minimum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem is not Santa Clara....

Jan 3, 2019, 12:08 PM

I’m not sure where you expect the vast majority of the Clemson fan base to fly from if not GSP, ATL, CLT, Asheville.

Saw some folks fly out of Raleigh, Charleston, Savannah, etc for Phoenix.

The airport thing sucks, but honestly it’s more the venue and area that people aren’t keen on. Weather isn’t gonna be great either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 1:33 PM

You're right....the originating airports are very limited. That is my point.

From Clemson.....2 of the 6 playoff bowls are almost a must fly to (Rose and Fiesta), 3 are maybe fly tos (Sugar, Cotton, Orange) and 1 is a drive to (Chick-Fil-A). The Phoenix Natty was almost a must fly to. Tampa Natty was probably a drive to and of course last year in Atlanta would have been a drive to. This year's Santa Clara game is almost a must fly to.

Seems to me they're almost even as far as Clemson is concerned. And as far as weather, Tampa was freezing. New Orleans was freezing though the game, of course, was inside in an awful stadium.

There are always a lot more choices for lower priced hotels in cities with suburbs. Cities like New Orleans are hard to find cheaper hotels. But that's even true in Clemson...the Holiday Inn charges $850 / night for big weekends like Florida State.

I will guarantee you if you haven't been to the Bay Area you will thoroughly enjoy it. Within a 3 hour drive you can do anything that exists in the world. And it's beautiful

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%. Gotta see it from the other side like

Jan 3, 2019, 12:09 PM

CaliforniaTiger®CaliforniaTiger

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

It is absolutely Santa Clara

Jan 3, 2019, 12:19 PM

.. the distance is the problem. gives the airlines more power to gouge. There simply isn't another option.

Washington was the only team in the top10 that would even be close to Santa Clara.

The airlines know they have bama and clemson fans by the bllz.

It is simply a bad choice for any legitimate playoff team.

It isn't even close to the same as clemson. Maybe 20% of the people (HOME AND VISITORS) in Death Valley are staying the night. 80% drive back and forth to the game.

95% OF the people in Levi stadium will have gotten there on an airplane.

That would be true even if USC made it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

The problem is absolutely Santa Clara

Jan 3, 2019, 12:21 PM

It's difficult to get to, it's expensive when you get there, as mentioned below the stadium is set up weird for a neutral site game, and it's a low of 49 with a 40% chance of rain Monday. Also, with Santa Clara this year and Los Angeles in a couple years they're going to have kickoff right at the start of rush hour in major metropolitan areas that are known for having some of the worst traffic in the country.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

well yeah, but other than that, it is all on GSP for not

Jan 3, 2019, 12:30 PM

having cheaper last minute flights

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh Santa Clara is definitely a problem

Jan 3, 2019, 12:25 PM

Maybe not this problem, specifically, but it is a problem.

Santa Clara being an insanely expensive area with insanely expensive hotel rooms, even on normal days, is a problem. Santa Clara being a very unattractive destination for a game like this is a problem. Levi Stadium being panned by everyone that's ever been there is a problem. The game kicking off at 5PM local time on a Monday in an area with bad traffic is a problem. And, though maybe through no fault of it's own, being thousands of miles from both participating schools is a problem.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2019, 12:27 PM

I really wish it was played in a Dome each year like Phoenix or Dallas. Much more enjoyable.

Oh yea, almost forgot, Tigers win big Monday night!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus every flight connects thru CLT, ATL or DFW

Jan 3, 2019, 12:37 PM

Only so many of those available for two teams traveling from the southeast.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am flying out of Washington, DC and the flights are just

Jan 3, 2019, 1:47 PM

as crazy expensive as from GSP, etc.

My buddy is flying from Salt Lake City and his ticket was very high as well.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic