Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Recruits

Dec 11, 2018, 4:50 PM

Yesterday I called out a high school recruit by name and criticized his decision and looking back I probably should not have done that. So allow me to take a different approach.

There are a few elite teams in college football that attract great talent each year. Our Tigers are among the top 2 to 3 schools that are elite at this time. Notre Dame is trying to get back there, but I do think UGA is closer that ND in that regard. There are several teams out there that I would say are on the cusp of greatness and could potentially reach or return to an elite level. In these instances I can understand a great high school player wanting to go play at these schools if offered.

If you were a high 4* or 5* high school recruit, and you possessed the skill and ability to have a scholarship offer extended to you by one of the elite schools in the country, why on Earth would ever choose to go to a lesser program? By lesser I mean teams that have been around for over 100 years and never accomplished anything.

Why would you accept the fact that the school you have chosen to attend will always play in a lower tier bowl game each year and that the team you will be playing for, and likely starring on, will finish 4th or 5th in your own division each year? You will be surrounded by players on your own team that likely were not offered by elite programs.

How do you go back to work in January to prepare for the next season knowing the most you will squeeze out of your time at the school you have chosen is a few bowl rings from crappy bowl games with low attendance and no chance of every making the playoffs?

I totally get that the endgame is to make the NFL, but doesn't the 3 or 4 year journey to the NFL mean something? Wouldn't you rather be pushed to your max potential by other elite players and have ESPN on location at your school on selection Sunday every year? Why allow Charlotte, NC or Shreveport to be the highlights of your time in college?

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because you are a coot?

Dec 11, 2018, 4:52 PM

...and make poor decisions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Recruits

Dec 11, 2018, 4:55 PM

I know not of the recruiter, but here are some reasons

1) Family history with school
2) School location in proximity to family
3) Relationship with position coach
4) somebody sold him like Dabo sold CJ..why not us?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Girlfriend (s)***

Dec 11, 2018, 6:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Recruits ]

You don’t know the financial situations of many of these recruits. Certain recruits ask for money from parents to come to clemson and obviously don’t get it... they end up at UGA... point 5, money.

Athletes, just like any other high school student

Dec 11, 2018, 4:55 PM

pick schools for a lot of different reasons. Location, major, weather, some want small schools, some want large schools, some want to go to a school in a city, some want a rural school, etc.

Athletes also need to be comfortable with their chosen coach, teammates, friends, playing time, etc.

I have never understood how anyone can have animosity towards a teenager because he didn't pick Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Athletes, just like any other high school student

Dec 11, 2018, 5:01 PM

I have no animosity towards these kids. I just question their decision making or the people making the decisions for them while at the same time taking a subtle jab at our rival.

Hard for me to comprehend turning down a chance to play for Dabo and all the things that come with that each year.

Look at Etienne - he lived in LSU's backyard and held out until he got an offer from Clemson. Read up on his story. The pressure he was under to go to LSU had to be enormous.

Re: Athletes, just like any other high school student

Dec 11, 2018, 5:10 PM

You just answered your question - kids. When you are young you make a lot of decisions, some bad and some good, it’s part of The maturation process. Smart people learn from their experiences. What is right for you may not be right for someone else.

Give it a rest. Root for the kids who are at Clemson and wish the other the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The point is, if someone picks USuCk instead of Clemson

Dec 11, 2018, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Athletes, just like any other high school student ]

that doesn't mean they're making the wrong decision for them. Bryan Edwards has a legit shot at playing WR in the NFL. Had he picked Clemson that wouldn't be the case. If Jake Bentley had gone to Clemson instead of USuCk would he be an NFL draft prospect right now?

Look, it's difficult for me to comprehend anyone not wanting to play for Dabo, but I'm a Clemson fan so I am biased. Attending college in a mid-sized school in rural upstate SC isn't for everyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Clemson isn’t as rural as it used to be.

Dec 8, 2019, 4:49 PM

Which probably helps some in recruiting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 11, 2018, 4:57 PM

It’s hard to understand because the state of mind for us as fans stops with the institution we are a fan of....these kids have 3-4 years and beyond to consider when making their decision. Some make the decision with a fan’s mindset and it usually pays off...some make the decision from a business standpoint like Watkins or Dwayne Allen...everyone is different. I just always remind myself that when that player moves on I’ll still be stuck in Clemson..we can’t hold kids to the same selfish goals as us. It’s not fair.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Dec 11, 2018, 5:12 PM

It's probably a wise move on my part of I don't reply to this post. I never want to make an enemy.

The college years should be among the best years of a young mans life and to allow won/lost percentage of a sports team to dictate where you spend those years isn't right!

Dec 11, 2018, 5:37 PM

Imagine it this way. You're a top recruit that for your whole life you've supported a team and been passionate about them, example someone like Auburn or FSU, Tennessee possibly even a Penn State or Southern Cal. Your family is close and also likes that team and you like the coach and they have an academic program to fit what you want after football. That "elite" program is further away and may not offer your academic interests to the extent of another school so you choose where your heart wants and you can be closer to home. Maybe financially your family can't watch games consistently or an illness/younger sibling looks up to you and needs you, there's a lot of things that play in that from the outside looking in you don't think of as a fan of a rival or another team.. I support most recruits decisions and although I may make a joke like "bagman got him another one" I'm not entitled to have a real opinion on this recruits decision as long as he made that choice off of his betterment. Example, Najee Harris was from California with good programs around him but he made a choice for his future going to Alabama as he and his family was homeless and he went to Alabama because they put RB's into the NFL every year and it was his best choice he thought he had and he's a star for them. It's not a simple case the vast majority of the time.

https://247sports.com/Article/Homeless-Abused-Angry-Najee-Harris-unsteady-path-to-Alabama-50936595/

Any Juan that doesn’t choose to come to Clemson is just

Dec 11, 2018, 7:56 PM

Stoopid

Well, for one, all 4 and 5 star recruits can’t go to a top 3-4 program.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:01 PM

There are too many good players of this caliber.

Plus, some guys choose a school for other reasons. Some want early playing time. Others want to be a big fish in a small pond. Factors such as proximity to home, friends who are on the team, etc. matter too.

In general I agree with your premise though.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 11, 2018, 9:23 PM

Even harder to understand are those that do chose Clemson and then transfer out.
Maybe to spend more time at the buffet line and to be with their sick momma?
To be able to go to the Josh Bowl?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic