Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The one move this program must make now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

The one move this program must make now

Aug 25, 2014, 8:47 AM

I don‘t usually chime in on such weighty matters, but I cannot remain silent any longer. What happened back in 1993 on our campus remains a travesty, an unrighted wrong, a dark blot upon our program, a self-inflicted wound that has been allowed to fester such that the only viable option must be elimination, separation, and excoriation. The impact of that action has fostered two decades of decline, ushered in a dark fog of ambivalence, and made irrelevant a once-proud tradition that has been surrendered by supporters of this program without nary a whimper. The more astute of you know exactly to what I refer. For those less gifted, I speak of the most abominable act undertaken by this institution since the dismissal of the Country Gentleman. I speak of the creation of the Tiger Cub.

Not since that petulant pound puppy Scrappy Doo sabotaged a highly successful crime fighting team has a more undeserving Johnny-come-lately wreaked havoc with a venerable icon. No longer does The Tiger prowl the sidelines as the most esteemed mascot in the land. No, he must now share the limelight as an emasculated has-been, a shadow of his former glory, uncertain of his role and unsure of his stature.

What other major program boasts such a bifurcated boondoggle? The only comparison that comes to mind is that paltry pair at NC State, Mr and Mrs Wolf , two mascots that appear to be character rejects from a roadside Disney-park wannabe. I ask you: Is this the level to which we aspire?

Everyone has conspiracy theories, and I think mine are particularly apropos on this subject. Many will painfully recall that this travesty was fostered upon us during a particularly dark time in our history, a time when several curses where placed on this program that remain to this very day. While perhaps not rising to the level of the Chicken Curse, these have undoubtedly caused significant pain, pain to the point where an exorcism must be performed. And my greatest horror: I am quite certain these curses were an inside job. For you younger folks, Ken Hatfield inherited a team from Danny Ford that even Les Miles could have taken to a National Championship. Instead, he drove the program into the ditch faster than you can say Will Muschamp. I think Hatfield needed distractions to divert attention away from the playing field, and the creation of the Cub was the final desperate act in this regard. The first two Hatfield curses were already well instilled in the program when he left. They were 1) the WooHoo- a bizarre cry that researchers have likened to a Barney Fife distress call made during a botched stake-out of the Ray Hollister still, and 2) purple jerseys, the first of which appeared to be lifted from the give-way-box at an NAIA-lacrosse-team-used-practice-apparel-yard sale. The hex was not yet strong enough to keep the Tigers from defeating an over-ranked NC State team during the 91 regular season, but was in full effect in a Citrus bowl blowout loss to Cal. Coincidence? I think not. Moreover, this Prince/Barney-the-dinosaur wardrobe spell was incredulously embraced and perpetuated by closet fashionista Tommy Bowden, who sources say is currently weighing competing proposals to co-host next season’s What Not To Wear and Say Yes to the Dress TV programs.

This is not intended in any way to disparage those who have given life and breath to the Cub. I’m sure you’re all wonderful people. I appreciate your hard work and your enthusiasm. It’s not about you. It’s just a bad idea. History is replete with bad ideas. For example, about thirty years ago, the following conversation was overheard at Coca Cola headquarters in Atlanta.

“Hey fellers, you know what? We’ve got the best selling soft drink in the whole wide world. I’ve got an idea. Why don’t we mix things up a bit? Change it up. Call it ‘New Coke.’

“Whoa, hold on a minute there, Jim Bob. We can’t just run off willy nilly like that and make some big change without asking somebody first.”

“You know…you’re right. But who can we ask?”

“I know. Mildred, get me that Ken Hatfield feller on the phone.”

Our official athletic web page suggests that the Cub’s primary focus is children. Coincidentally, my own kids have grown up with the Cub. I remember countless times in the Valley, our defense involved in a third and long, everyone standing, screaming. At that moment my kids tug on my shirt and say, “Look at The Tiger, Dad. He’s so funny.” “No, no, no,” I respond, gently but firmly. “You see all of these adults? They are watching The Tiger. His antics are not for kids. They are only for grown-ups. You can watch that Cub over there chasing butterflies on the Hill.”

I realize that this is not an easy decision. The Cub has literally tens of fans that may rise up at any hint of turmoil. You’ve got the Cub, the Cub’s family, the Cub’s significant other, past Cubs, and half dozen near-sighted kids. That’s about 30 folks right there that, according to Tim Bourret, who still hasn’t accepted my Facebook friend request, comprises 0.000236% of the fan base. This figure is dangerously close to 0.000250%, the level of dissent needed to initiate uncontrollable meltdown on Tigernet. Thus I need your full support, lest I be exiled to a padded room off the far corner of The Lounge along with Rob Spence’s brother and some guy who thinks he should have been the next women’s rowing coach.

Put him the HOF, the ROH, or even promote him to a job in the administration, it does not matter. What does matter is that we get the Cub off the field. Only one cat can rule Pride Rock. Give The Tiger his stage.

Scooby would be proud.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Creative writing 101 is in class.******

Aug 25, 2014, 8:58 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This man is a wordsmith

Aug 25, 2014, 9:05 AM

point to you

Re: This man is a wordsmith

Aug 25, 2014, 9:15 AM

Good stuff

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This man is a wordsmith

Aug 26, 2014, 8:18 PM [ in reply to This man is a wordsmith ]

Hey BuzzPaw don't you have some sort of business to take care of involving a bulldog fan and some swiss cheese or something? ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That must have taken a while to compose.

Aug 25, 2014, 9:20 AM

+1

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That must have taken a while to compose.

Aug 25, 2014, 9:34 AM

dang - you read all of that?? I haven't finished my coffee yet, so that can't happen.

Well done, sir.***

Aug 25, 2014, 9:49 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we are the losers for you not chiming in more...

Aug 25, 2014, 9:57 AM

Also, if you posted more, it might help you to not unload all your words at one time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice read, but I don't believe Ken Hatfield had ...

Aug 25, 2014, 10:01 AM

... any more to do with the creation of the "Tiger Cub" than Hootie Ingram had to do with the creation of the "Tiger Paw".

They just happened to be coaching at Clemson when these things came about.

While each probably gave his "blessing" to the ideas, I fervently hope that the Clemson head football coach isn't busy dreaming up ideas for mascots and logos.

Maybe the HC is "All In" on a slogan every once in a while, but that's as far as it should go !! :)

Maybe not the Cub but fore sure he was

Aug 26, 2014, 9:12 PM

the one who brought back the purple.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The one move this program must make now

Aug 25, 2014, 10:03 AM

Funniest post I have read in a long time. Thank you for this. Its hilarious.

Aug 25, 2014, 10:21 AM

You are right.

The Tiger Cub should no longer be allowed in Death Valley. I suggest a Clemson tradition in which only serious football fans and serious associated "Things" be allowed in Death Valley ... inside the fence. Let the Tiger Cub continue to exist at many tailgates, pep rallies, shopping center openings, politician hikes in the mountains, ... whatever ... but NOT in Death Valley.

This I would love ... another college tradition begun at Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2014, 10:45 AM

All of the young Tiger fans love BOTH mascots and that is good enough for me. It would be nice if we had a REAL Bengal Tiger to roam the sidelines but that 'ain't gonna happen' so lets worry about things that are really important ... like aluminum seating!!! Go Larda$$es!

Aug 26, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: The one move this program must make now ]

Maybe we should let a zoo adopt it. As long as its not that zoo on Greystone Blvd in cootlumbia;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I gave you a TU for the very entertaining read, BUT

Aug 25, 2014, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure we can blame the Tiger Cub for Clemson's 20-ish years of struggles when it's so obviously The WooHoo that's been holding us back.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard from inside sources that the WooHoo was actually

Aug 25, 2014, 10:42 AM

first initiated BY the Cub when he forgot himself and actually spoke during a game.

Deer Crump and B-Meist...

Aug 25, 2014, 10:24 AM

We have finally found davidhoodsteele's replacement. I think at this time we can finally move forward with the master plan we discussed recently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If Baston had any kind of a S&C program, that Cub ...

Aug 25, 2014, 10:54 AM

would be a full grown, bad a$$ Tiger by now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Baston had any kind of a S&C program, that Cub ...

Aug 26, 2014, 10:39 AM

:) haaaaaaa ha ha ha, G R E A T ! ! !

+1 simply for the use of "boondoggle".***

Aug 26, 2014, 11:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% agree

Aug 26, 2014, 7:12 PM

1/2 cub is perhaps the softest thing that Clemson does. If we have to have this mascot, it should not be allowed in DV. It should only go to volleyball and rowing matches. To add to your point, I see no purpose for Jdew at basketball games either.

Aug 26, 2014, 8:26 PM

you had me until you went after purple

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget that Dan Radackovich wants to change our

Aug 26, 2014, 8:32 PM

tiger's look to be more "family friendly". Not sure what that means...I like the way the tiger looks now.

Oh, I don't know, I'll need to think about this...

Aug 26, 2014, 9:09 PM

OK, I'm done thinking.

YEAH !!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Aug 26, 2014, 10:27 PM

We need to replace the cub with a real tiger. LSU has one, we need one.

Aug 26, 2014, 11:15 PM

I'll bet this had something to do with the "whoo hoo" as well!!! :)

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic