Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The idea that Hunter Johnson would have won us the Bama game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

The idea that Hunter Johnson would have won us the Bama game

Jan 13, 2018, 1:34 PM

is based on virtually nothing.

What we know about Hunter Johnson.

1. He did really, really well in High School.
2. In limited action, he looked very good, for the most part, against inferior competition.
3. He looks the part.

What we don't know about Hunter Johnson.

1. What he would have done against a defense like Bama's
2. What he would have done if he was forced to move outside the pocket.
3. What he would have done in an extremely high pressure situation.

What we know about Kelly Bryant'

1. He is capable of outstanding QB play.
2. He is tested against elite competition in hostile environments.
3. After his concussion, he has accuracy issues on deep passes and out routes.
4. He played to a championship caliber against Miami in the ACC championship game.
5. He played as well as Jalen Hurts in the 1st half.

The Bama decision has created alot of hindsight rumbling. How many stars a recruit has is influence people WAY too much.

I still trust Dabo and the staff to pick the right QB next year, and if it turns out to be Kelly Bryant, I will believe it is because the coaches feel its BECAUSE they believe he gives us the best chance to win.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The idea that Hunter Johnson would have won us the Bama game

Jan 13, 2018, 1:39 PM

We'll never know will we?

Who has suggested we would have won? Why not give it a try

Jan 13, 2018, 1:47 PM

when what we are doing isn’t working? Why have a backup? That said we had a great season and proud of the team and coaches. Bryant did a great job caring us to the national championship playoffs! Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB was actually doing pretty well. It was our entire

Jan 13, 2018, 2:22 PM

offensive gameplan that was failing. Plugging in different personnel in that situation made no difference because Bama was good enough to do the same or worse to any QB on our roster.

Re: KB was actually doing pretty well. It was our entire

Jan 13, 2018, 3:53 PM

No he wasn’t. He was continually trying to scramble outside instead of stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball downfield. He missed Tee Higgins for a touchdown and also kept it on a read option when had he handed it off Feaster probably would have scored. He’s not the QB to lead us to a title.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 1:50 PM

There isn't a post where I thought that he would have won the Bama game but, I do believe that if HJ had been given a fair amount of snaps during the season in meaningful games (which Wake was a good Wake team ) he would have given us our best chance to beat Bama BC, no one beats Bama with just a running game added with a shorty passing game. A more accurate passer could have kept Bama from playing 7 or 8 men in the box and playing short pressure man coverage and keeping our receivers boxed in the way they had our RBs boxed in. To beat Bama with the talent they have, opposing team better have a solid running game with an accurate deep ball QB. If not, it's like pisssing straight up a rope!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way Tua pulls off a win against UGA coming in behind 13-0***

Jan 13, 2018, 2:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

People have won the lottery. You should liquidate savings.***

Jan 13, 2018, 2:19 PM

Except his statment was based on fact and yours wasn't***

Jan 13, 2018, 5:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People are really having a hard time with the concept of

Jan 13, 2018, 8:59 PM

Facts.

The Idea Is...

Jan 13, 2018, 2:10 PM

He couldn’t have lost it any worse.

Which is undeniably FACT.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do people still not know the difference between fact and

Jan 13, 2018, 2:18 PM

opinion? It's a super easy concept.

You LITERALLY hit the nail on the head.***

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

ARGH!!!!!***

Jan 13, 2018, 2:20 PM

Had hunter came in and won that game in a dominating performance, then how would the QB situation look with Trevor coming in? Hunter could’ve probably solidified himself as the starter for next year. Maybe it would’ve surely led Trevor to being redshirted. Guess we’ll never know

Jan 13, 2018, 2:25 PM

What we know about KB is he was infective during the bama game.

What we don't know about HJ is if he could have done better.

After 2.5-3 quarters of watching KB fail why not see if HJ could do better. What's the worst that could have happened lose by a couple more scores? He might have brought us back for a win or he might not. It's the last game of the year try everything you can is the point.

Jan 13, 2018, 3:14 PM

I truly respect what KB did for the Tigers in getting us that far. The problem is, I do not believe there is ANYTHING ELSE he could have done to get us the rest of the way. We needed to stretch the field vertically, and the combination of KB's inaccuracy in the long game, Cains "brick hands", and the inability of the OL to give KB another second in the pocket, meant that wasn't going to happen. Look at the decision Saban made against UGA. He knew last year that Hurts couldn't get Bama "over the hump" against the offensive juggernaut Clemson brought... but he didn't have an alternative but to stick with him. This year, St. Nick made sure he DID have an alternative, and when the time came, he didn't hesitate to use it! And his "alternative" was ready! And all we've heard from Brendan Streeter is, "HJ is not ready." And I keep responding, WHY THE HECK NOT?

No one knows what would have happened if HJ had been given a chance in the 4th quarter, but that's just the point... we will never know. Maybe the Sugar Bowl wasn't the "time" but I hope when the time comes, Dabo has the kind of stones that Saban did and makes the tough decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 4:43 PM

This is exactly the point I was making on a post I created yesterday. You hit the nail on the head! Either way, I do hope what we are hearing is true, that the best man play whomever it may be. Go Tigers

Jan 13, 2018, 5:42 PM

That has been the name of the who plays game since Dabo has been our HC. It's a long way from being something new!!!!

Jan 13, 2018, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The idea that Hunter Johnson would have won us the Bama game ]

Now I don't think that HJ would have been anymore effective than KB simply bc he wasn't given, allowed to gain very valuable experience through out the season. Putting him in the Bama game would have been I think fruitless bc he was held back during the season!!!

All that you said here was also true of Tua

Jan 13, 2018, 3:26 PM

Guess we’ll never know about HJ.

Re: All that you said here was also true of Tua

Jan 13, 2018, 5:23 PM

That is the saddest part about the entire season bc he wasn't allowed to get experience for the games that we needed an accurate long ball QB, and Bama was the most critical game for that particular need, and we didn't have it ready, not even close!!!

Of course he was "ready", he was moved in and out of the 2...

Jan 13, 2018, 8:38 PM

spot, lost it as 2nd off the bench with his poor finish during the GT game, then apparently earned it back after another strong showing against theCitadel, a game ZC was 2nd off the bench. In the following game, Scar, HJ was the 2 man again.

It appears from the order of things he would have been first man up should a run foremost QB in KB2 have gone down against Alabama - as physical a game as was expected, a real possibility - you always have contentions, that's why you practice and play. There is always a Plan B unless there is no one left and it appears at season's end he would have been it.

The idea he wasn't game ready is pretty awkward, of course he was and if he doesn't practice as if his opportunity is a play away is on him, but just how far he'd advanced has as much to do with his acumen as anything.

Anyway, should be an interesting off season with more time in the system and the coaches having to critically review how 2017 went, all positions in play, in order to see the HOW Clemson can get better.

I mean, the Tigers were a Top 4 team, playoff invitee for the third straight year and owner of 3 straight ACC Titles. It appears life doesn't suck to be a fan of the Clemson Tigers for some time to come.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 4:46 PM

It is all speculation, but based on Saban's decision and outcome, it's worthy of some air time. The same questions you asked regarding HJ and KB could be asked about Hurts and Tua. Either way it's all said and done. Can't wait for tiger football this season.

Jan 13, 2018, 4:52 PM

Love KB but he took us as far as he could. Wasn't the same after concussion (which is on coaches!)...I watched him execute poorly on deep ball to Higgins, read option, stepping up in pocket, and even at the end of the game you throw a 4th down play out of the back of the end zone?

If we have to beat Bama next year we need one of our stable of QBs to step up.

Jan 13, 2018, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: The idea that Hunter Johnson would have won us the Bama game ]

I will say this and leave it alone. The chance at playing in a playoff or NCG don't come around enough to gamble one away like we did this year. It was what, 35 years since we played and won our first NCG to the 2nd one!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Complete B.S.

Jan 13, 2018, 8:01 PM

Saban and Smart had their talented true frosh QB's (rated behind HJ based on play at camps) ready to play when it counted by preparing them throughout the season. Clemson coaches had our most talented QB buried on the bench. Bama had ZERO respect for Clemson's ability to complete a vertical pass, and as a result, the team had their a$$ beat despite a heroic effort from the Defense. The returning defenders give Clemson another chance in 2018, but competent QB play is a requirement not a "nice to have".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Complete B.S.

Jan 13, 2018, 8:22 PM

Why should they have respected our down field passing attack when we didn't have one!!!

Jan 13, 2018, 8:31 PM

I'm getting tired of stupid post like this one. The one thing we know for sure is that KB didn't win and Dabo didn't play HJ when he should of. He should have put him in there after KB couldn't get a dagum first down in the Second half after getting the ball on a fumble recovery at the Bama 30

The loss was not on K.B.

Jan 13, 2018, 9:06 PM

The whole offense did everything wrong. K.B. looked bad be wise Bama man handled our O. Line. Our receivers could not get open. Our backs could not pick up blitz. Our run game could not open up the pass game. I honestly don't think we could have won that game with Matt Ryan or Cam Newton at Q.B. you are right, everyone needs to lay off K.B.

Re: The loss was not on K.B.

Jan 13, 2018, 10:20 PM

That doesn’t make sense either and I’m tired of this stupid argument. Bama overloaded the line of scrimmage precisely because KB was QB and the were not fearing anything. He was the achilles heel in that game and they should have tried something else given the rarity of CFP and National Title chances. You have to roll the dice when something clearly doesn’t work, and you could tell in the first quarter what their strategy was. We had no answer. In that instance you have to fond and answer.
Hunter would have backed those safeties off, opening up the running game, slowing the rush. Everything opens up if you hit some nice forward passes. That’s exactly what happened when Tua took over.

From the Furman game HJ is light years the passer that KB is. Light years bro, as in it ain’t a close comparison. He ain’t a better passer by a smidge, it’s by a mile.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all the coaches on this board

Jan 14, 2018, 8:29 AM

It's amazing that we have ever lost a game.....EVER. All y'all second guessing Dabo must be the same ones saying he was a cheerleader. All y'all need to go out and become head coaches and then go win a natty. Shut the f??ck up . It's great to look at what happened and second guess.

Jan 14, 2018, 10:09 AM

It was more OL than QB. You could have put Tom Brady back there and it wouldnt have gone much better... No time to do anything.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic