Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best memories from Harcombe....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

Best memories from Harcombe....

Jan 18, 2018, 7:20 AM

Warm blueberry cake doughnuts at 2AM.... with copious chocolate milk, of course. My favorite stop after downtown closed for the night.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best memories from Harcombe....

Jan 18, 2018, 7:32 AM

The current weather reminds me that they kept hundreds of sleds stacked up for snow days.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tru Dat. Fun snow days!***

Jan 19, 2018, 9:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eating there every morning

Jan 18, 2018, 7:33 AM

for the first 3 semesters before I moved off campus as a co-op student (I am a breakfast person and ate copious amounts of bacon and grits there). Then I remember those 2 summers I was there and Harcombe being overran with kids that came on those summers camps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 7:47 AM

I always kind of liked the vegetable sculptures decorating the serving lines - palm trees made out of carrots and bell peppers, etc.

Jan 18, 2018, 7:50 AM

Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids is my best memory of Harcombe Commons.

Mystery meat, overcooked veggies, stone cold toast and runny grits also come to mind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and leather night i mean steak***

Jan 18, 2018, 11:34 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flash and the Kids played out at the Amphitheatre too.....

Jan 18, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Best memories from Harcombe.... ]

having grown up in the community, I actually knew some of and was known by some of the Harcombe staff so I was less nervous about the food than I probably should have been....I don't think any of them would've purposely let me get ill....but perhaps I counted too much on locale....:~)

Because of the nature of breakfast cooking, I'd go along with it as best choice of the day's meals.....otherwise, as close to fresh as fruit and veggies got in those days

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two things...

Jan 18, 2018, 7:52 AM

cheese grits and midnight cookie breaks during exams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Two things...

Jan 18, 2018, 7:56 AM

Yes. Never found any cheese grits as good as they were in harcombe. Also when someone would drop a glass or tray the whole place would give out a collective oooooooohhh!

Jan 18, 2018, 7:54 AM

The clanging of knives, forks, and spoons against the drinking glasses right before the first salvo was launched :)

Harcombe was so bad in the late 1970's

Jan 18, 2018, 8:02 AM

that the food potentially costs us team national championships in soccer, tennis, wrestling and golf.

I ate there five days a week and cookie break most week nights. The food was barely consumable. The milk was good though.

Just sayin'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was the champion of

Jan 18, 2018, 8:17 AM

Making the tallest and most perfect ice cream cones. It took 15 minutes to eat.

Re: I was the champion of

Jan 18, 2018, 11:32 AM

And using said cones to bomb unsuspecting motorists from the fourth floor of Johnstone F.

Re: I was the champion of

Jan 18, 2018, 8:45 PM

That was you, you jerk???

;)

Nothing like fishing with an empty wallet used for bait on the laundromat side of Johnstone D5 section. Caught quite a few culprits but mostly was to quick for them to actually catch the bait! They sure looked goofy chasing it though! :)

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 8:22 AM

soft serve machine was nice

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 8:33 AM

To this day freshest best milk I’ve ver had. Came from our own cows.

Also loved midnight breakfast during exam week - nice diversion.

Steak and shrimp night. Worst toughest steak I’ve ever had. Alternative was beanie weannies.

Jan 18, 2018, 8:43 AM

Agree that the steaks on steak night were beyond bad. If you think today's beef from Mexico is tough,which it definitely is,the steaks from Harcombe were even worse. Also remember the time when two of my buddies were playing around and one gave the other a mashed potato "willie". Pretty crude but so was a lot of the food.

Jan 18, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Best memories from Harcombe.... ]

Needed a Homelite to cut it :)

Midnight breakfast during exams***

Jan 18, 2018, 8:50 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Midnight breakfast during exams***

Jan 18, 2018, 11:42 PM

You guys are pikers. I date back to 71. Harcombe was never as pretty or modern as Schilletter but always better. I remember the bricks of Clemson made ice cream, served as much as you want, all the toppings you wanted. Hard to keep breakfast mass produced in buffet vats appetizing but they did a good job. My second year or so, they brought in a soft ice cream dispenser for cones but it was not as good. Best mass produced coffee ever.

Pretty girls on their way to Harcombe under the breezeway getting hooted at by the morons in the cans. The BiLo bull stolen from a store and placed on the roof of Harcombe. Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine seemed to be played at least twice per meal on the juke box and the little juke box base notes shook the whole hall.

Went there with my IPTAY buddy and his GF three years ago and it is now crazy good. Oh to be young! In the immortal words of Augustus McRae, "the sunny slopes of long ago."

Jan 18, 2018, 8:51 AM

fruity pebbles and bacon....copious amounts....

two great memories . .

Jan 19, 2018, 12:08 AM

freezing the drink glasses to the tray and watching them go down the conveyor to the worker taking items off the trays. Oh . .such fun!!

And having pancakes with vanilla ice cream on top, at midnight, during exams . .ahh yum.

Breasticalia Bouncing..

Jan 18, 2018, 8:56 AM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Blonde brownies...and girls.***

Jan 18, 2018, 8:56 AM

Did you mean "blonde girls" and "brownies?"

Jan 18, 2018, 10:45 AM

:)

Re: Blonde brownies...and girls.***

Jan 18, 2018, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Blonde brownies...and girls.*** ]

The time Nurse Goodbody (or a facsimile thereof) came in for what I presume was someone's birthday.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:08 AM

Trying to get extra tickets for "premium entree night," only to realize that was the worst steak and shrimp anywhere.

Getting my first Phd freshman year...Post Harcombe Dump.

Drinking coke at every meal, because I was raised in a health conscious family and never had soft drinks at home. Always a stomach ache in 8:00 classes because I drank coke for breakfast every morning!

Coming from a super small school in rural SC and having no idea about "segregated" cafeteria dining, meaning fraternity tables, etc. I can't tell you how many times a couple of friends and I sat at the "wrong" table and remained oblivious to it. Pretty funny looking back on it.

I wonder if they still do cookie break and have midnight breakfast during exams. It was little things like that made for a lot of memories.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:11 AM

It was better than Sh1teater!!

Jan 18, 2018, 9:13 AM

I learned to like chicken livers in Harcombe. Also I remember gray looking rice pudding that I liked for some reason.

Tiger Band 70-74

Jan 18, 2018, 9:16 AM

I also remember seeing a film on emergency child birth in Health class right before lunch. I walked into Harcombe and saw their spaghetti then turned right around and walked out.

Tiger Band 70-74

Jan 18, 2018, 9:18 AM

Barbara Lewis, 1965 Rat Hop, "Baby I'm Yours."
The Tams also.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i arrived at CU as a freshman in August, 1972 ......

Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 AM

at 6'1" and weighing 125 #'s. I came home that Christmas weighing 155. I'm not a picky eater and love to eat, so I loved me some Harcombe food. Had the 7 day meal plan. Bacon and grits, chocolate milk, unlimited ice cream, steak night , theme night, cookie break at 9:30 or so- you name it, I thought I was in heaven. My mother was not a very good cook, BTW, I guess you surmised.

Also enjoyed Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids concert there. Good times.

I graduated in '80

Jan 18, 2018, 9:33 AM

That place was disgusting. I remember the mashed potatoes crunched when the ice cream scooper was pulled across them. And "gravy." Over everything.

Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids concert in Harcombe,

Jan 18, 2018, 10:03 AM

by far the best memory. As far as actual menu stuff, I remember:

Monday: Veal Cutlet
Tuesday: Breaded (Dreaded, leftovers from Monday?) Veal Cutlet

It was not unusual to see people with trays with like (literally) 8 to 10 or more glasses of milk on them. I think the highest I ever counted was 18. Siriusly, who needs 18 glasses of milk? Butt, to each his own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you remember

Jan 18, 2018, 10:34 AM

Pork chop suey. I actually liked it.

The first time seeing my eventual college sweetheart there

Jan 18, 2018, 10:31 AM

across the long tables sitting with her sorority. Back then the fraternities and sororities sat with their own.

It was truly love at first sight. The first and only time it ever happened to me like that. College. Sigh.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the "greeter"

Jan 18, 2018, 10:36 AM

In the 80's there was an older lady who welcomed you into Harcombe - she alternated between "hi" and "hello" with a deep southern drawl (haaa hello haaa hello haa hello...)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

always getting ice cream after every meal

Jan 18, 2018, 10:47 AM

And seeing a frat pledge mowing the floor with a chair. He was pushing it all over Harcombe??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 10:47 AM

Every 2 weeks or so during my first 2 years, my roommate and I would take empty book bags into Harcombe and fill them to the zipper with breakfast cereal from the dispensers. I mean we would completely empty those things. To this day, I have no idea how we avoided getting caught doing that.

Rose & Bulldog***

Jan 18, 2018, 10:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Jan 18, 2018, 11:01 AM

Lived just off campus on Freedom Dr by the old TigerMart. My roommate and I would chow down while stuffing 4-5 additional fried chicken breasts in our pockets to take home for later in the week.

That’s also where I got my spices and condiments!!

Good times. Fastest weight gain I’ve ever experienced!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We didn't reall have Texas Pete or things similar...

Jan 18, 2018, 11:04 AM

in California where I grew up. We just had Red Tobasco which I think sucks. So, Harcombe is where I realized I love Texas Pete and things similar.

Taco night, before it became racist***

Jan 18, 2018, 11:24 AM

or sexist***

Jan 18, 2018, 11:37 PM

Jan 18, 2018, 11:35 AM

Asking the worker in the serving line for Beef Strokin off, Cowballs and Gravy, #### on a Shingle and other delicious entree's.

Jan 18, 2018, 12:42 PM

Plenty of space to find a place to sit, unlike the dinning facilities today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Touring" around campus in the middle of the night and

Jan 18, 2018, 2:33 PM

seeing the delivery truck off loading. The boxes read, "Steak, Grade D but edible."

Three pages ..... FOODFIGHTS!!!!

Jan 18, 2018, 2:45 PM

Some times you would be half way enjoying your meal (rectangular pizza and baked beans). Well, that’s too freaking bad when a good food fight breaks out.

Those were the days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stocking up on baked potatoes from steak night

Jan 18, 2018, 2:49 PM

I was only on the 5 day plan, and Sunday meals sometimes were just baked potatoes reheated in the toaster oven.

Jan 18, 2018, 6:04 PM

1973-1977

Breakfast followed by the continental breakfast (warm doughnuts), milk, milk, and more milk, ice cream, 2 hour suppers, social time, streakers

Loved almost all of it, except the steaks--still won't eat steaks

Miss Iola’s omelets.***

Jan 18, 2018, 8:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Ate breakfast (loaded up) every day...

Jan 18, 2018, 9:07 PM

I scheduled 8:00 classes every day and never missed breakfast.
Buttered and toasted hamburger buns for lunch.
Tickets for "premium" night (like we were gonna go back for seconds).
GIANT soft serve cone every day on the way out after supper. My kids are amazed at my pro-cone abilities. Catch me at Golden Corral or a Chinese buffet and I'll make you a masterpiece!
Midnight pancakes during exams.
PhDs (a few so impressive that they were left for observation)

Jan 18, 2018, 11:00 PM

Chops! She was my first crush.

"Omelet Lady"

Jan 18, 2018, 11:14 PM

My freshman year was '96. There was an omelet station and a lady that we affectionately referred to as the "omelet lady." She made a great omelet and if I remember correctly, she'd have 8-12 going working on the flat top grill at the same time.

That was Miss Iola. She was the best.***

Jan 19, 2018, 8:06 PM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Definitely! Best thing about Harcombe.***

Jan 19, 2018, 8:10 PM

Jan 19, 2018, 12:11 AM

Me, "What's this?"
Food service worker, "veal paramecium".
Me, "I think I'll take the chicken."

"Premium Entre Night"***

Jan 19, 2018, 10:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, Thursday nights. Steak or shrimps.***

Jan 19, 2018, 10:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

The great Harcombe food fight of 1988***

Jan 19, 2018, 10:38 AM

Going Through The Line One Day

Jan 19, 2018, 7:52 PM

and the guy in front of me ask one of the female servers if they have any dark meat. The young lady response was "Look around you".

Jan 19, 2018, 7:58 PM

steak and shrimp night...could not beat it.

1969 in Harcombe following a yankee

Jan 19, 2018, 11:41 PM

Eating breakfast one morning. Yank in front of me asks server "What is THAT?"

She tells him "Grits..."

He says(You cannot make this up...), " Give me one grit."

When she did, ONE on a full size plate, he asked: "What am I supposed to do with this?"

Coach K's rants on the sideline are Baptist Sermons compared to what she said...

2 things:

Jan 19, 2018, 9:20 PM

1. All you can eat ice cream.
2. Midnight cookie breaks during exam weeks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

PHD***

Jan 19, 2018, 9:22 PM

Trays made great sleds***

Jan 19, 2018, 9:24 PM

Jan 19, 2018, 9:37 PM

Early in my freshman year (1980), I saw the staff re-stocking one of the milk dispensing machines. The crate of milk was labeled "Clemson Experimental Dairy." I never drank on-campus milk again.

In the late 70s, it was Shrimp on Friday & ice cream machine

Jan 19, 2018, 9:56 PM

The quality and variety were not close to the present day Clemson cafeterias. But I appreciated the healthy food and being able to go back for seconds. I ate there almost every day for 4 years - missing breakfast only when I wanted to sleep late.

Taking the most enormous dumps within 30 minutes of eating

Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 PM

Big giant dumps of feces. Big.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Called the Ph.D. for a reason: post-Harcombe dump.***

Jan 20, 2018, 12:16 AM

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic