Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Johnson had replaced KB at Syracuse,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

If Johnson had replaced KB at Syracuse,

Jun 21, 2018, 4:48 PM

we would have had him at QB for rest of season and he would have became a Heisman contender(not winner) and we would have 2 in a row NC's.
Yes, we would have a double QB situation now. But it would be HJ starting season and sharing duties with TL. Higgins would have been All American at WR and a Dynasty started last year.
Now we can just start it this year.
For those who think that we will miss Belk in years to come, no way! We have depth that everyone forgets about and Belk may had very little playing time until a senior, if then. We have younger DTs that will get plenty of playing time and will play key roles in rotation. And look what will be here in 2019.
Richard Yeargin(sp?) who could have been starting last year and if healthy, will be dominate at DE in the rotation. Justin Foster, Randolph, XT, KJ and Kelly are waiting their turns.
Everyone forgets about our redshirts from last year.
We got the pieces, now our coaches just have to put them in at the right spots.
As for the coots, the delusion will only continue. They were lucky last year to win 9. After this Fall they will realize what a farce Muscoot is. Good recruiter (lies to recruits) and a terrible player developer.
Same old song, just a different tune.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Johnson had replaced KB at Syracuse,

Jun 21, 2018, 4:52 PM

Every player you mentioned as a DT is a DE. Our DT depth will definitely be thin next year with 3 returners and whoever comes in 2019.

The problem with your argument

Jun 21, 2018, 5:19 PM

Is that Johnson did eventually replace Kelly.

And did not look ready...at all.

He did ? I don't remember that ... for some reason.***

Jun 21, 2018, 5:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem with your argument

Jun 21, 2018, 5:32 PM [ in reply to The problem with your argument ]

Cooper replaced Kelly, not Johnson. Johnson did not play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Jun 21, 2018, 9:11 PM

That's because Dabo goes by seniority. If you recall ZC stunk just as bad as KB.

Jun 22, 2018, 7:38 AM

I was at the Syracuse game. Our whole team was outplayed. The Syracuse players were ready. We were not. Dabo said he didn't like playing on Friday nights. His comment affected our preparation big time. KB could barely jog along the sidelines pre game and should not have even tried to play. Streeter blew it.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Jun 21, 2018, 5:38 PM [ in reply to The problem with your argument ]

I don’t know why some of our fans are convinced that HJ should’ve started over KB. I believe he has a much higher ceiling than KB but he was not ready to be the starter last year. However, I do believe he should’ve gotten the nod over Cooper in the Syracuse game and I was upset that he did not. It was the only decision regarding the QB situation that I disagreed with our staff on last year. Our own defenders even said that KB was the best QB out of the group we had last year. Another year of maturity on Brice and Johnson and that could change. In the spring game it certainly appeared that way but last year the coaches made the right decision. We lose to Bama and all of a sudden KB sucks and our coaches are idiots that don’t know who to start at QB. I guess Dabo & Co should get these guys on speed dial to get some advice on how to build a football program. SMH ?????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anybody thinks he should have started as the#1

Jun 21, 2018, 5:52 PM

Qb. He could have gotten some much needed game experience and been more prepared to help us in that game.

It was painfully obvious we had all of our eggs in one basket last year. Kb probably got a larger % of practice reps than normal being a first year starter as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go back and read the OP***

Jun 21, 2018, 7:11 PM

Re: Yes.

Jun 21, 2018, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Yes. ]

You, me and a million other were pisssed about that bone headed move, and even the best coaches can some times make mistakes, and that was clearly one of them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes.

Jun 21, 2018, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Yes. ]

I believe people like you are stupid. Say the same stupid stuff every year.

You’re so much smarter than Dabo. Your posts are so diverse and enlightening.

Jun 22, 2018, 4:30 AM

We all learn so much from them. I’m surprised people aren’t banging down your door to offer you a head coaching job.

Jun 21, 2018, 5:40 PM [ in reply to The problem with your argument ]

When? I must have missed that one., he was stellar against citadel as he should have and still shared time with z.

He was moving it against the coots and made all the correct reads. Yeah he threw an int and we still don’t know happened. The reps he got was not with fs starters. No he was never given a chance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 6:30 PM

We can and have argued that exact point until we have turned purple faced, but still more than half of the fans base believes our coaches can never make a mistake. It kind of makes me wonder how we haven't been 15-0 a few years ago without any mistakes being made!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem with your argument ]

You don't know what happened on that INT? It's simple, there was a safety playing the middle of the field and he tried to loft the ball down the seam, it definitely wasn't the right read by any stretch.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jun 21, 2018, 7:41 PM

I know there was a safety there. What I’m saying is we don’t know if the receiver ran the correct route. He may have overrun it. Or maybe that was the play that was called and hj went with it. Maybe like dw did a time or two he didn’t even see the safety.

Those are going to happen and in a meaningful situation he might not have thrown it. Hence I don’t know why it happened. Either way you can’t say he wasn’t ready based on one play.

Allorange said it best.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, Zerrick played whole 2nd half against Cuse, HJ

Jun 21, 2018, 5:48 PM [ in reply to The problem with your argument ]

should have played 4th quarter, after Z's poor showing in 3rd quarter. Of course, Kelly should not have played at all with his injury, that took away his running threat, it would have been fair if Z and HJ divided the game up...

Re: Nope, Zerrick played whole 2nd half against Cuse, HJ

Jun 21, 2018, 8:32 PM

Can't be, that would mean the coaches made a mistake, and that just don't happen ;)!!!

He obviously wasn't ready

Jun 22, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to The problem with your argument ]

because he never came on the field.

What's that old saying about making assumptions?***

Jun 21, 2018, 5:32 PM

Jun 21, 2018, 6:20 PM

PanamaRob said:

we would have had him at QB for rest of season and he would have became a Heisman contender(not winner) and we would have 2 in a row NC's.
Yes, we would have a double QB situation now. But it would be HJ starting season and sharing duties with TL. Higgins would have been All American at WR and a Dynasty started last year.
Now we can just start it this year.
For those who think that we will miss Belk in years to come, no way! We have depth that everyone forgets about and Belk may had very little playing time until a senior, if then. We have younger DTs that will get plenty of playing time and will play key roles in rotation. And look what will be here in 2019.
Richard Yeargin(sp?) who could have been starting last year and if healthy, will be dominate at DE in the rotation. Justin Foster, Randolph, XT, KJ and Kelly are waiting their turns.
Everyone forgets about our redshirts from last year.
We got the pieces, now our coaches just have to put them in at the right spots.
As for the coots, the delusion will only continue. They were lucky last year to win 9. After this Fall they will realize what a farce Muscoot is. Good recruiter (lies to recruits) and a terrible player developer.
Same old song, just a different tune.

So...basically the coaches were just too limited to realize which QB was best? I just don't agree with that take. Our coaches haven't made a ton of missteps...at all.

HJ has a really good toolset, true, but people who watched him last season said he looked like Peyton Manning one throw, and like a lost freshman the next. Keep in mind HJ came from a 2A school in Indiana, which is about as slow as high school football gets, and he wasn't playing in a scheme anything like Clemson's. You could see the arm talent...you could also see that HJ just hadn't adjusted yet with the speed of the game, wasn't comfortable with ball-handling, especially on the read-option (which is a big staple of our offense), and wasn't comfortable with the reads and throws.

Johnson had (has) mad tools. He also wasn't ready to start as a freshman, sorry, much less dominate. You could see it the limited time he did get in.

Trevor Lawrence, by way of comparison, played 4A or 5A Georgia ball - much faster, much more athletic, much bigger kids - and also played in a HUNH offense much like Clemson's...much like Deshaun Watson had, in fact. Which is why he is pushing so hard for PT already.

As far as Belk goes, we may not miss the player himself, but we will miss the body, unfortunately. We do not have "depth that everyone forgets about"...not at DT. We're stupidly loaded at end at the moment, true...when you have two 5-star guys listed as fourth on the post-Spring depth chart, you have crazy depth at the position. But DT is a different matter. We have two seniors who are definitely going - Wilkins, Huggins - and Dexter Lawrence is probably a Top-10 pick and is almost certainly gone with the rest of the Power Rangers. Which leaves just three scholarship DT's on the roster. Almost by default, Belk would have slid into the 2-deep next year. (Which is why Belk bolting is so...crazy. I just do not get that. He won't even wait a year and learn behind two guys who are probably going Top-10...and then likely start? Dumb.)

The other problem is that Belk is a big body, a true nose guard type who can tie up two blockers. The others are mostly natural 3-tech "under" tackles, quick interior penetrators in the 275-300-pound range. Belk was, as I mentioned, likely first in line to replace Dexter Lawrence's 340 pounds...again, we may not miss the player, but we are going to have to scramble to replace the body.

We've been dominant at DT lately and will be particularly dominant this year if everyone stays healthy. Next year...not as much, though we will still likely be loaded at end. (Again!)

Jun 21, 2018, 6:30 PM

Jun 21, 2018, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If Johnson had replaced KB at Syracuse, ]

You always give the most thorough and level headed explanations. I should just save my energy in situations like this and wait on you to post.??

Jun 21, 2018, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Re: If Johnson had replaced KB at Syracuse, ]

Bingo, ding ding ding, just what I have been saying all along....

Our coaches are some times limited, and they don't make mistakes. Just what I've been saying about more than half the fan base. And it is bc they didn't Realize bc of being limited!!!!

Original Quote!!!!!!

So...basically the coaches were just too limited to realize which QB was best? I just don't agree with that take. Our coaches haven't made a ton of missteps...at all.

HJ has a really good toolset, true, but people who watched him last season said he looked like Peyton Manning one throw, and like a lost freshman the next. Keep in mind HJ came from a 2A school in Indiana, which is about as slow as high school football gets, and he wasn't playing in a scheme anything like Clemson's. You could see the arm talent...you could also see that HJ just hadn't adjusted yet with the speed of the game, wasn't comfortable with ball-handling, especially on the read-option (which is a big staple of our offense), and wasn't comfortable with the reads and throws.

Johnson had (has) mad tools. He also wasn't ready to start as a freshman, sorry, much less dominate. You could see it the limited time he did get in.

Trevor Lawrence, by way of comparison, played 4A or 5A Georgia ball - much faster, much more athletic, much bigger kids - and also played in a HUNH offense much like Clemson's...much like Deshaun Watson had, in fact. Which is why he is pushing so hard for PT already.

As far as Belk goes, we may not miss the player himself, but we will miss the body, unfortunately. We do not have "depth that everyone forgets about"...not at DT. We're stupidly loaded at end at the moment, true...when you have two 5-star guys listed as fourth on the post-Spring depth chart, you have crazy depth at the position. But DT is a different matter. We have two seniors who are definitely going - Wilkins, Huggins - and Dexter Lawrence is probably a Top-10 pick and is almost certainly gone with the rest of the Power Rangers. Which leaves just three scholarship DT's on the roster. Almost by default, Belk would have slid into the 2-deep next year. (Which is why Belk bolting is so...crazy. I just do not get that. He won't even wait a year and learn behind two guys who are probably going Top-10...and then likely start? Dumb.)

The other problem is that Belk is a big body, a true nose guard type who can tie up two blockers. The others are mostly natural 3-tech "under" tackles, quick interior penetrators in the 275-300-pound range. Belk was, as I mentioned, likely first in line to replace Dexter Lawrence's 340 pounds...again, we may not miss the player, but we are going to have to scramble to replace the body.

We've been dominant at DT lately and will be particularly dominant this year if everyone stays healthy. Next year...not as much, though we will still likely be loaded at end. (Again!)

Jun 21, 2018, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: If Johnson had replaced KB at Syracuse, ]

Dabo is like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Refuses to change irons even if it means losing the Masters.

Jun 22, 2018, 7:25 AM

Come on coot, don't you have some friends on the fantasy coot forum to rumble with? You aren't fooling anyone. At least be man enough to have a coot handle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the biggest problem was not the QB situation at cuse

Jun 21, 2018, 7:44 PM

but that the defense got outplayed by the cuse offense. we scored 24 points without even trying but the defense gave up big plays and got consistently exploited... watch the game again, we made their QB look like a poor man's tahj boyd in the Orange Bowl against osu...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The defense played a horrible game!

Jun 21, 2018, 9:16 PM

And in a situation where our offense was limited by injury.

The defense could have salted that game away. 24 points should have been enough to win it.

Re: the biggest problem

Jun 21, 2018, 9:34 PM [ in reply to the biggest problem was not the QB situation at cuse ]

Sorry. Gotta disagree.

Yes, the defense underperformed, by allowing Dungy to eat clock while moving the ball consistently down the field on short passes.

ICBW, but I think Zerrick only got 3 possessions in the second half. That's why Dabo really didn't get a natural relief point to insert Johnson.

The defense (Tanner Muse) scored 7 of those 24 points and, with the special teams, twice set Cooper up with a short field. He got us all of 3 points out of the deal. Even my Gamecock doctor friend said Cooper was terrible (but Renfrow had great hands.)

That whole Syracuse trip was bad news. All week the stories were about Dabo moving into his 'castle', Dabo going to Bama on Saturday to reunite with the '92 champs, Tigers being favored by 35+ because we'd beaten them by 52? the year before in DV without their starting QB, playing on Friday the 13th. I know the media isn't responsible for our preparation, but we seemed unprepared to me. Nobody was talking about the game itself until it blew up.

In retrospect that loss cost us nothing in the standings or polls. It was only a missed opportunity for us to see what HJ could do. But maybe Zerrick would have played better if he had started as originally planned.

Cuse got their game full of breaks against us...

Jun 22, 2018, 3:20 PM

if the defense had maintained even it's averages, even our below average offense would have been able to do what it did plus the 7 by Muse to win the game... the defense should have had a better game against cuse than they did against Auburn; Auburn only scored 6 points against our D, I give cuse no props... they shouldn't have scored at all... we were one of there only 4 wins on the year... c'mon man, there's plenty of blame to go around, but the biggest issue was the defense give the cuse offense life...

Can't get a job W/O Exp, Can't get Experience W/O a Job

Jun 21, 2018, 9:20 PM

That explains QB competition at Clemson under Dabo. The starter always gets the job

Re: Can't get a job W/O Exp, Can't get Experience W/O a Job

Jun 21, 2018, 9:22 PM

pretty sure you have never been in a position to hire people with that statement

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can't get a job W/O Exp, Can't get Experience W/O a Job

Jun 22, 2018, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Can't get a job W/O Exp, Can't get Experience W/O a Job ]

Everyone of your posts just exude cootdom, or should I say coot dumb. That's more like it. Last time I checked Dabo has Clemson with 7 straight 10 wins seasons and 3 straight to the college playoffs while your cluckers are still struggling to come in 2nd in the $ec-least. You need new material.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, you are blaming Dabo and the

Jun 21, 2018, 10:59 PM

staff for costing us that game AND a NC...? Ok.

And, why are you talking about/thinking about/writing about the coot football team right now? I suggest you get outside and enjoy summer. There's a nice world out there.

Syracuse deserved to win that game. We crapped the bed in several ways. Still a nice season.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic