Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2009 (10)Clemson- 74 (4)Duke- 47
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,256

On This Date: 2009 (10)Clemson- 74 (4)Duke- 47

Feb 4, 2019, 8:30 AM

Clemson rolls to 74-47 win, Duke's worst loss since 1990

CLEMSON, S.C.

It's a rare night when Duke gets punched in the mouth and doesn't fight back.

That's what happened last night, though....

Clemson routed the Blue Devils 74-47 at Littlejohn Coliseum in a blowout that prompted a quick search of the record books.

It was Duke's worst loss since its 103-73 loss to UNLV in the 1990 national-championship game, and Duke's worst loss to Clemson since a 100-66 loss here in 1975.

Duke's 47 points were the fewest in 14 years, since a 51-44 loss to Clemson in 1995.

There were no excuses afterward, just bewilderment and disgust.

"I've never experienced anything like this before," senior David McClure said. "I mean, it's really disgraceful and embarrassing. We didn't come to play Duke basketball today. We didn't come to fight. We didn't come ready to fight. That's really all you can say."

Coach Mike Krzyzewski put it bluntly.

"They kicked our butt," he said. "Their crowd was great. Their team was great. Their coaching was great, and we were the opposite in every way. We didn't compete tonight, and that's not a good thing."

The loss dropped Duke to 19-3 overall and 6-2 in the ACC, back into a tie for first place with North Carolina. Clemson raised its record to 19-2 overall and 5-2 in the ACC.

"We need to put this loss behind us," guard Gerald Henderson said, "but you never forget a loss like this."

The Tigers got 21 points and eight rebounds from Trevor Booker, and 17 points from Terrence Oglesby, who hit five 3-pointers.

They rattled Duke from the opening tap with full-court pressure and intense defense that forced 16 Duke turnovers. Duke had 11 turnovers at halftime -- including four against the press and several others from rushing after breaking the press -- in pulling out to a 33-21 halftime lead.

Clemson was credited with 12 steals, and scored 23 points off turnovers.

"They're a team that has a lot of different pressing defenses and we didn't handle them well," McClure said. "They really wanted to say ‘Boo' and have up spit the ball up, and that's what we did. We didn't have any poise with the ball. We didn't have any leadership out there. That basically runs us into what they like to do against any team. When you play into their hands, you've got to expect something like this."

In addition to turning the ball over 16 times, Duke shot a season-low 30.8 percent from the field.

Henderson scored 16 and Lance Thomas 10, but leading scorer Kyle Singler struggled through 2-of-8 shooting and finished with six points and five turnovers. Jon Scheyer was scoreless in the first half and finished with three, on 1-of-8 shooting. And Nolan Smith was 1 for 7 from the field for three points, and had four turnovers.

"We had as just as many turnovers as we did buckets," Henderson said. "So that doesn't help. We weren't strong with the ball. We were just making unbelievable plays that we don't usually make, most of them just giving them the basketball. They scored a lot of points off turnovers."

Clemson had lost 20 straight regular-season games to Duke, although it had won the most-recent game last March in the ACC Tournament.

"It was an excellent win," Coach Oliver Purnell of Clemson said. "I thought we played very well and our full-court pressure was very good. We were able to set the tone going into the half and came out in the second and made shots. We really embraced the atmosphere and were comfortable."

Duke will return home to play Miami on Saturday.

"I think this shows we still have a lot of growth to do as a team," McClure said. "We've had some struggles on the road. Teams have thrown the first punch and we've got knocked back, but fortunately in the past we've been able to make comebacks. But we couldn't stop the onslaught tonight.

"I don't think anyone's going to get this taste out of our mouth in a long time. I don't think anybody has felt like this."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I remember it well. favorite part...

Feb 4, 2019, 10:00 AM

with about 1:30 to go, Coach K called a timeout and made his team sit down. He never looked at them or addressed them for the entire TO. Later on, he admitted that he just wanted his team to hear the crowd and remember the moment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terrence Oglesby, the Mad Bomber.

Feb 4, 2019, 1:05 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game - what a blast!***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What Clemson Basketball could be

Feb 4, 2019, 1:39 PM

But never will be under Brownell

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What Clemson Basketball could be

Feb 4, 2019, 1:52 PM

I have been waiting for that comment...

January 11, 2014
BB's Tigers 79, K's Dooks 59

Jan 16 2016
Tigers 68 vs Dook 63

Don't forget that even OP lost far more than he won against Coach K. I can only think of twop upsets, the 2008 ACC T upset and the 74-47 game.

The crowd at LJ is nothing like it was back then

Feb 4, 2019, 2:13 PM

And congrats on sitting on 2 scores from a 9 year span lol

Re: The crowd at LJ is nothing like it was back then

Feb 4, 2019, 3:24 PM

Yeah and OP never beat Duke regularly either. Rick Barnes was 3-6 (with round robin formats, 0-1 in ACCT). That was back when we had a home game every year with real local rivals. More interestingly, 95 which accounts for RB year was a year that Duke went 13-18 and did not dance. We split the year with them. So Barnes' best 3 wins against duke came at Duke's weakest era of the K legacy

OP lost 7 straight games to Duke before notching his first win. He was something like 2-11 against Duke.

Brownell is 2-8.

Rick Barns average Duke NCAA seeding: 7th (17 as a substitute for missing the tourney)
OP average Duke NCAA seeding: 2nd
Brownell average Duke NCAA seeding: 2.1

So lamenting about BB is kinda silly.

I think that was the game where coach K called a late TO

Feb 4, 2019, 1:57 PM

to make his team stand there and listen to our crowd going nuts.

this was the game where TO missed a dunk

Feb 4, 2019, 5:00 PM

and all Purnell could do was shake his head.

And all the crowd could do was boo because we wanted him to hit the tree for "FREE TACOS!!"

I remember delaying giving a test in my fluids class the next day since the game was at 9pm. Ahh.. good times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

TO missed a dunk.."HQ" video link inside.

Feb 4, 2019, 5:01 PM

https://youtu.be/oOBF5oGZz4E

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,256
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic