Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
AOC said today that US workers should be happy to lose
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1,099

AOC said today that US workers should be happy to lose

Mar 11, 2019, 8:00 PM

Their jobs to automation and technology b/c the they would have more time to do art stuff and get re-educated.
What a silly one you dems have on your side! ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AOC said today that US workers should be happy to lose

Mar 11, 2019, 8:15 PM

You have equally as big of nutcases on your side or worse in much more important positions. She is a nut. It was nice when all of the nutcases were only on your side generally though.

Mar 11, 2019, 9:05 PM

Carlsbad® said:

You have equally as big of nutcases on your side or worse in much more important positions. She is a nut. It was nice when all of the nutcases were only on your side generally though.

To be fair we were worried about being labeled a monopoly and wind up in front of the DOJ(again) and FTC.

Mar 12, 2019, 1:43 PM

Tiger1Dad said:

Carlsbad® said:

To be fair we were worried about being labeled a monopoly and wind up in front of the DOJ(again) and FTC.

Now that is funny! +1. We on the left apparently saved your side from that fate when we went out and got some wingnuts on our side, in order to counter Luis Gomert and Steve King.

Balance is good. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 2:29 PM

We thank you for your help on this issue. Our tent is Chock full o nuts already.

AOC Derangment Syndrome is strong around these parts...***

Mar 11, 2019, 10:20 PM

Mar 11, 2019, 10:24 PM

actually Buckminster Fuller championed this concept in the 1950's, back when we believed that technology would make our lives easier, instead we are working even harder and are more productive than we have ever been. Maybe a few more hours a week off is what we need.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which is why I laugh at these predictions. Every time a

Mar 11, 2019, 10:33 PM

doomsday predictor says that robots are going to take all our jobs, I think of the same line coming out of the mouths of "geniuses" in the 1950s. Or when people talk about China taking all our jobs.

Our population is more than double what it was in 1950...yet we are below 4% unemployment. Before China, Mexico was going to take our jobs, and before that, Japan...it never ends. There's always somewhere cheaper to produce something. The Brits were worried about America taking jobs...the north is worried about the south taking its jobs. It never ends. Yet here we are...330 million people...almost everyone who can work does.

AOC is a fool with no idea of how the world works.

null

Re: Which is why I laugh at these predictions. Every time a

Mar 11, 2019, 10:36 PM

That last sentence is true, but you could also substitute Trump in that statement as well. He makes her look like a genius lately.

Yes, Donald Trump continues to be the...Trump Card...for

Mar 11, 2019, 11:33 PM

everything these days. People can make any crass statement they want, because Trump is crass. Every foolish comment is met with "Well...Trump...".

At some point we have to decide that we don't have a free pass to do whatever we want, or suffer every fool that has a Twitter account, just because our current POTUS makes questionable statements and decisions. We need to be better than that.

I think I've been pretty clear on my disdain for Trump as a person, although I will sometimes defend the man if I think it's warranted. Here, too, I would argue that despite all of his flaws, he created enormous wealth across numerous platforms (real estate, sales, entertainment, books). Doesn't mean he is a genius but one must concede that he is accomplished in life. AOC is not. She brings absolutely no credential to the table that would allow one to say "Well...that was stupid...but at least..." "At least" nothing. She has never accomplished anything. Respectfully to anyone that has gone this path, I would argue that getting a marketable college degree and then becoming a bartender speaks to a lack of focus or drive or accomplishment. Nothing wrong with that, per se...it's just not a credential. Trump had an accomplished business background and then amazingly...and with everyone laughing at him...became the president of the United States. With all the crazy things he says, he has also reformed the tax code, unemployment is below 4%, the stock market has done well, he has not involved us in any questionable military exercises, he has pushed prison reform. Not a terrible first couple years when you consider the utter circus his administration has been AND the full on assault that the Media launched against him. In two months in Congress, AOCs two accomplishments that I have seen are 1) helping to avoid 25,000+ high paying jobs in New York City and then bragging about it and 2) writing a "Green New Deal" that pretty much all parties agreed that no one would have been surprised had it been written in crayon.

null

P&R POTY!

Mar 12, 2019, 6:45 AM

POtheYear!
Swarley

Not to defend AOC, but in regards to the bartending...

Mar 12, 2019, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Yes, Donald Trump continues to be the...Trump Card...for ]

From wiki:

After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and found work as an educational director. Following the death of her father, she took on an additional job working as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school-bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home.[33][34] Ocasio-Cortez later launched Brook Avenue Press, a publishing firm for books that portray the Bronx in a positive light.[35] She worked as lead educational strategist at GAGEis, Inc.[36] Ocasio-Cortez also worked for the nonprofit National Hispanic Institute, serving as the Educational Director of the 2017 Northeast Collegiate World Series, a five-day long program targeted at college-bound high school students from across the United States and other countries, where she also participated in the panel on the future of Latino leadership.[25][37][38]

Mar 11, 2019, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Which is why I laugh at these predictions. Every time a ]

While the commonly used U3 is 3.8% the far better U6 indicator stands at 7.3% for unemployment. It also includes those that dropped out due to discouragement and also those part time/temps who desire full time employment. The spread has narrowed , I think it was a 13% difference at it’s recent worst. Recent being the past 10 years.

Yes, definitely better metrics out there but I went with the

Mar 11, 2019, 11:58 PM

most popular. But as you point out, the employment metrics pretty-much all look good.

null

Re: Yes, definitely better metrics out there but I went with the

Mar 12, 2019, 12:06 AM

In truth it is the most popular due to it being lowest number . No matter the party both sides seem to like to tout it. Much like the inflation index which strips out food and energy. That one perplexes me as nobody can actually really do without either.

Yes, I’m not an economist but I never understood stripping

Mar 12, 2019, 12:16 AM

out things that people depend on every day.

Like saying “Our environment is clean if you don’t consider the air we breathe.” But...we have to consider it.

As for the unemployment...this is where I get on my media soap box. They could focus on the most useful measurement for unemployment...why don’t they?

Regardless, the job situation is good in America.

null

Mar 12, 2019, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Which is why I laugh at these predictions. Every time a ]

Swarley said:

doomsday predictor says that robots are going to take all our jobs, I think of the same line coming out of the mouths of "geniuses" in the 1950s. Or when people talk about China taking all our jobs.

Our population is more than double what it was in 1950...yet we are below 4% unemployment. Before China, Mexico was going to take our jobs, and before that, Japan...it never ends. There's always somewhere cheaper to produce something. The Brits were worried about America taking jobs...the north is worried about the south taking its jobs. It never ends. Yet here we are...330 million people...almost everyone who can work does.

AOC is a fool with no idea of how the world works.

Excellent points. I am old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" was synonymous with shoddy, poor quality work.

AOC is young, idealistic and a product of her Brooklyn environment. I contend that she is important to the market place of ideas. There is some value to extremes both left and right as somehow they may stumble onto an idea that is useful to society as a whole. I have a close friend who is a far right advocate. He's a very smart man. We disagree on much, but he is right on many things.

Who we dismiss as wingnuts can often hit upon a lodestone. All are welcome, the middle decides and implements what is beneficial. The left believes that the poor should be helped. The right believes the poor should be helped, if there are standards in which the poor might help themselves to get to a level that they may be helped. Work requirements for welfare recipients is a good idea that all can agree on. It takes into account human nature. That is a good thing.

Curious as to what the level of "quality" jobs are available

Mar 12, 2019, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Which is why I laugh at these predictions. Every time a ]

In regards to today versus in 1950. I know I've heard the wages we make are about at the same level as in the 1980s but the cost of living has risen considerably.

Don't laugh. There once were a couple of comedy movies

Mar 11, 2019, 10:57 PM

One was called PCU. The other was Demolition Man. They were funny in their time. Today not so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know I'm randomly picking a place to say this...

Mar 12, 2019, 6:26 AM

But I just thought I'd go ahead and say it, because I think it a lot.

Would it not be better to post what the Congresswoman said, and discuss the merits of what she said? Why did you add the part "What a silly one you dems have?"

And then the first reply says pretty much "well, your side is bad too".

What is gained by the ad hominem? Why does it have to be about whose "team" is better?

Thought the “Silly one” was appropriate

Mar 12, 2019, 6:48 AM

I could have used much harsh words......

How would you describe her?

I wasn't referring to the words "silly one"...

Mar 12, 2019, 7:22 AM

I was wondering why you chose to use ad hominem against members of this board on the "other side," as opposed to discussing her ideas on their own merits.

Again I say, this is not just about you and this post...I could post the same reply to dozens of posts every day on this board. Just thought I'd pick a place and ask the question.

Well, joe, there are clearly SIDES in this case

Mar 12, 2019, 8:55 AM

The Dem side owns this one. She has no common sense when it comes to everyday economics. I’m not talking complex Econ theory, but everyday fiscal issues that Families deal with.

And not enough people on the Dem side are calling her out....

OK. ***

Mar 12, 2019, 9:00 AM

Start at 55:15 mark. Hear the question and full answer

Mar 12, 2019, 8:27 AM [ in reply to I know I'm randomly picking a place to say this... ]

BTW I totally agree with you. Always go to the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-SE5eNt04

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking you replied to the wrong post.***

Mar 12, 2019, 8:37 AM

No. You said to post what she said...so the video

Mar 12, 2019, 9:25 AM

When you start off with a summary of a quote, it's already a bad start and won't go anywhere.

so after a long rant about automation she says....

Mar 12, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Start at 55:15 mark. Hear the question and full answer ]

we should be excited about the prospect of losing jobs to automation because it gives us more time to focus on educating ourselves, creating art, focusing on the sciences, inventions, space, and enjoy ourselves more. And then says society is too focused on 'wage'.

Ok AOC, its called WORK and I, along with 96% of the rest of the country must do that to earn our 'wage'. All of those things that she just mentioned are things that COST MONEY in order to pursue. So, i'll ask the board, where does she intend that money to come from?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The board is a microcosm of our society. CNN and Fox

Mar 12, 2019, 9:17 AM [ in reply to I know I'm randomly picking a place to say this... ]

interject their opinions into headlines and stories all the time.

It's like a heated discussion in a schoolyard. People not involved in the discussion stand around saying, "I can't believe he said that to you!" And suddenly, the discussion turns into a fight incited by the masses.

It's what's wrong with our country really. People can't have a discussion without getting nasty about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do what I did

Mar 12, 2019, 9:20 AM

tell Google that you are not interested in AOC stories

crap one time a read an article about her and then I get a hundred more

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1,099
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic