Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Coots just cannot win at anything...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

The Coots just cannot win at anything...

Apr 23, 2019, 8:10 AM

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/04/22/cheating-scandal-rocks-university-of-south-carolina-business-school/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

LOL..."renowned campus"...lol

Apr 23, 2019, 8:22 AM

It's renowned alright, but for all the wrong reasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

NOT AT ALL TRUE because............

Apr 23, 2019, 9:15 AM

50 years ago they won their one-and-only conference title in football with the ACC title in 1969.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Co-Champion

Apr 23, 2019, 9:42 AM

....so there's that

Re: Co-Champion

Apr 23, 2019, 9:48 AM

Don't forget that it is also their 20th anniversary of their perfect season. They notched the magical 0-11 run.

Re: The Coots just cannot win at anything...

Apr 23, 2019, 8:34 AM

Professors who are lazy enough to give "take home" or online tests should expect cheating. They are fools if they think otherwise.

I took about 30 hours of business courses at USC in the early 90's. They 300 & 400 level courses were fairly easy classes. Yet the kids cheated their butts off to get C's. You'd see them with cheat sheets during tests.

I've graduated from The Citadel and Clemson. I've taken close to 60 credit hours at USC. USC is a mass produced education. I attended a 300 level business course that had upwards of 300 students. While I had a couple of good professors there, most are more concerned with their "research" than teaching.

u of 5c's academic standards are an absolute joke...

Apr 23, 2019, 9:17 AM

and they always have been especially as it pertains to undergraduate admissions. The fact that the students have to cheat to succeed in that cesspool speaks volumes about the kinds of students they are admitting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: u of 5c's academic standards are an absolute joke...

Apr 23, 2019, 9:54 AM

All you have to do is look at the slums of Shop Road on a Saturday afternoon in the fall to see what kind of students they are admitting. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2019, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: The Coots just cannot win at anything... ]

I disagree about take home exams. They are not lazy nor should you expect cheating. You can 'cheat' proof online and take-homes, but much of that is about the institution's culture as much as anything. Plagiarism-proof is a lot harder.

I teach graduate-level policy coursework. Most of my final exams are open, take home format, often looped into their term project. For example, assuming 16 total weeks, 15 class, 16 with the exam. The first draft of their policy document is due on the 12th week and the revisions are due on the 14th. Presentations are the 15th week and the exam is due on the 16th. My exams open for access during the 15th week class. So, in theory, you have about a week to do about a 8-10 term paper with appropriate research.

Part of the exam will have material related to the final projects, normally a big-picture review of the policy themes covered in the student policy projects. So if you attend the presentations, and do the policy feedback material, you are basically (and legally) doing collaborative work for the exam. Other than that, it is often a fairly hefty exam with a lot of leg work. On my end, it is a lot of reading grading as a result.

However, this is Public Policy, so what I want to ingrain in students isn't memorizing nuggets in the FAST highway bill or exemptions ACA... but rather to be able to mine a large policy document to find a solution to a given item, synthesize it, and build upon it. It is easy to pick-out group think on this type of exam. The other side, I do content analysis and I am used to reading big policy documents and combing them.

The only major cheating item I have had was from a UNC undergrad. Just straight-up ripped off a policy for their term project (included GS codes), got caught, then did the EXACT same thing for their final exam. Worse, they were supposed to graduate. I get the senioritus (I "mailed it in" as a undergrad... heck even as a doctoral student in some classes). But, I follow the John Wooden approach to projects: if you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? If I catch you cheating, you have to re-do it with a late penalty (still referred to academic conduct). Incomplete assignments are not allowed, so basically any item but the final can be resubmitted. Oh and all incomplete assignments are forfeit. They re-did the final project but the exam was a no-go. Still, I left his fate to the Dean of the school as a "mercenary professor" at the time should not wield the "no graduation" power IMO.

As far as culture, well I was shocked at Clemson actually. While very good overall, my previous college was extremely tight about cheating. Clemson was more lax in expectations but is still a bit more stringent overall and more strict that the places I worked at since. My issue with clemson was that a lot of folks assumed others were cheating so it was odd to me coming from an unproctored but nearly biblical punishments for cheating. That being said, it could be a bit more about current HS culture placating cheating more. US standard are also more stringent over cheating so some international students normally have a curve as far as learning what is accepted in the US as well.

I would expect USC to consider a "crib" sheet "basically learning" so it would count as extension credit.

Apr 23, 2019, 9:23 AM

I got an MBA there, because Clemson didn't have a program back then. It was during the Sparky Woods era, and that was especially delicious. Had some really good professors back then, the finance, and investment classes were as good as I could have expected. Just had to take a shower after every campus visit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2019, 10:06 AM

This is Fits news so take it for what it is worth.

Apr 23, 2019, 10:21 AM

I have actually always found Fits to be extremely credible and actually more reliable than local or national reporters.

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Re: In my many years of "international business", which

Apr 23, 2019, 1:31 PM

included a 10-year stint in an overseas financial hub, I have never once encountered a USuCk alumnus in the course of business--not once.

But I did encounter several Clemson graduates. Just sayin'

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic