Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Automobile Hand Crank and Balloon Tires.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

The Automobile Hand Crank and Balloon Tires.

Apr 3, 2019, 9:21 PM

Charles Kettering is given credit for inventing the electric starter about 1911. Several auto companies began using the electric starter before 1920 but the old Ford Model "T" retained the old hand crank for many years. I was not aware that some automobiles were still using a hand crank as late as the 1950's.

The only time I cranked a Model "T" was some time in the early 1930's. It belonged to the family of a friend. Most of the time it didn't take much to get the engine started but if there was a kickback it was "Katy, bar the door". A kickback occurred the only time I tried to crank that Model "T". Fortunately, I was able to let go of the crank and escaped an injury. I heard of people breaking an arm and suffering other injuries but I never saw one. Most of us young guys were told how to hold the crank so we could let go if there was a kickback.

My Dad bought a new Chevrolet, I believe, in 1925. It was one of the first in my home town to come equipped with "balloon" tires. I was only four years old at the time but I remember many of the towns folk coming to the house to see those tires. The Chevrolet dealer did not keep new cars in stock, only a demonstrator. The buyer looked at a brochure and ordered from a very limited list of options.

The tires were not a high quality product and flats were a foregone conclusion. I may have posted a story earlier about learning how to patch an inner tube. Back in those days one dare not leave home without one or two spare inner tubes, jack, lug wrench and a hand pump.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Automobile Hasnd Crank and Balloon Tires.***

Apr 3, 2019, 9:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Automobile Hasnd Crank and Balloon Tires.

Apr 3, 2019, 10:00 PM

Wow - your dad had a NEW car??? Must be nice. My dad NEVER owned a new car, but I managed to have my first new car when I was 35 years old. We had to park our cars at the top of a neighboring hill and it had to be a manual transmission so we could roll it down the hill to get it started each day. Walking up the hill early in the morning was not fun, especially in the rain or snow.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For some strange reason I’m feeling old...

Apr 3, 2019, 11:55 PM

really, really old! LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Automobile Hasnd Crank and Balloon Tires.

Apr 4, 2019, 12:36 AM [ in reply to Re: The Automobile Hasnd Crank and Balloon Tires. ]

we called it a 'jackrabbit start', I guess for the little lurch as the engine hit. Now days kids don't know what a window crank is. I still have one on my '85 F-150. The motor on the hand crank is a little slower but still works. ; )

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe21, I imagine you are old enough to remember the

Apr 4, 2019, 5:07 PM

"light on fire" Monkey Grip inner tube patches? They had gone out of fashion before I was old enough to work on cars in my dad's shop, but there were still a few laying around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe21, I imagine you are old enough to remember the

Apr 4, 2019, 8:05 PM

The first ones my brother and I learned to patch were the "glued on" patch. We had to thoroughly clean the area around the hole and then roughen that area. Next we applied the glue and then the patch. We put a weight over the patch because we had to let it set for a day to be sure we had a good seal. We then pumped up the inner tube and inserted it in water. If there were no bubbles we were good to go.

I don't remember the name of the newer method. It may have been the Monkey Grip you mentioned. We prepared the area around the hole the same as noted above. Over the patch was a small metal container filled with a substance that would burn at a high temperature. There was a small clamp to hold the container over the patch. Strike a match and light the substance in the container and it was like a vulcanizing process. This method speeded up the process. There were small kits that held patches and the metal containers and these kits were a must in every car. Rather than having a couple of spare inner tubes on board, the patch could be made at the site of the flat. That was a super invention.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic