Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What to wear to an interview?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

What to wear to an interview?

Apr 19, 2019, 9:56 AM

I feel like suits and ties are out. This company is huge, but very relaxed. The folks I interviewed with on video were wearing casual clothes--not even work casual. Shorts and t-shirts are encouraged there. I feel like wearing a suit would make me look (even more) outdated and out of touch.

And....go.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flip flops. But DO NOT EVEN THINK OF WEARING

Apr 19, 2019, 9:58 AM

Crocs!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Don't own any.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:02 AM

I do have several pair of Olukais and PFG shoes though.

Linen suit or something.***

Apr 19, 2019, 10:00 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiedye wifebeater, skinny jeans and Sebago without socks.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:06 AM

That's my go to when I really want a job. Also, lie on your resume inflating your qualifications and leave out all the down time when you fished and got unemployment. That's icing on the cake, no fish can resist such strong smelling bait.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sebagos.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:08 AM

You really are 97, aren't you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I already lied on the resume

Apr 19, 2019, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Tiedye wifebeater, skinny jeans and Sebago without socks. ]

How do you think I got the interview?

tommy bahama short sleeve button up

Apr 19, 2019, 10:09 AM

chubbies and crocs

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So basically, what I have on now

Apr 19, 2019, 10:10 AM

minus the crocs

Chinos and a button down.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:10 AM

extra points for fun shoes

Suit unless instructed otherwise.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:12 AM

We wear shorts and flip flops but you better show up in a suit.

I've thought that as well.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:14 AM

But this is a tech company; the culture is a bit different. I think at least here, there is a fine line between "well dressed" and "old and out of date".

I work at a tech company and interview folks some...

Apr 19, 2019, 10:28 AM

CZJ is right - I'm not going to dress up for you - but you probably better dress up for me (the interviewer). Especially if I decide to take you up for a quick "hello" with the CEO.

If all you have is a suit that you would wear to a funeral - don't wear that - but if you have a stylish suit - wear it. Sport coat and tie is good too.

That said - the interview itself far outweighs what you wear. If you walk in wearing flip-flops and a Jimmy Buffet t-shirt, I'll hire you if you know your stuff. But if you're borderline...showing that you cared enough to dress up matters.

(Keep in mind - I'm old, too.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same when I used to interview people

Apr 19, 2019, 10:33 AM

I didn't really care what they wore, as long as they knew their stuff.

As a TNet courtesy, I have walked to our HR department

Apr 19, 2019, 10:52 AM

(wearing my blue jeans and t-shirt) and asked someone who does many initial interviews. She said nice shoes, slacks, and a seasonal shirt are generally fine.

She said there is one manager in our company who probably considers "no suit in an interview" to be a deal-breaker. (Maybe you wouldn't want to work for someone like that anyway.)

She said wearing a suit has never been considered a bad thing.

How huge is huge? (That's what she said.) - I assumed she was asking about the company where you're interviewing...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About 70K employees***

Apr 19, 2019, 10:59 AM

That's huge. The official word (using the Tiggity® scale)

Apr 19, 2019, 11:17 AM

is high-end business casual.

She has said - if you've already had an initial interview - skip the suit. She continued - dress well enough to show you can represent the company well to outside vendors/customers if needed.

Yeah, I'm conflicted on this.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:27 AM

Its for a site director. Basically, its me and 3 other people that will run the site.

I'm thinking business casual with a sport jacket. no tie.

Agree with you on this

Apr 19, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to I work at a tech company and interview folks some... ]

I've had some conversations with my HR and recruitment team about this. Some of it is "millenials being millenials," some of it is that they've done some research and understand the company's culture, some of it is idiots who didn't think any wiser. My company is casual unless you're customer-facing that day. For most of us, that means jeans, typically with a polo. I usually make an effort to have a company polo or button-down on when I'm conducting an interview, I am representing the company after all.

Personally, I take notice when people don't show up in a suit, particularly those who are around my age group (solidly middle-aged). But I've noticed that it really only "bothers" me when they don't bring anything else to the table. If you're not going to make a strong visual impression, you better impress with your interview and perceived skill set.

(And, IMO, there's nothing wrong with wearing your funeral/wedding/holiday party/interview multi-purpose suit ;))

Message was edited by: jroberts®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

I've got like 3 suits.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:29 AM

I mean I normally don't even wear pants because I work at home.

They fit that genre you mentioned, and prob look like it. Thats what I'm trying to avoid.

If it's as casual as you say, I'd say go on the high-end

Apr 19, 2019, 10:52 AM [ in reply to I've thought that as well. ]

business casual dress. Like a dress shirt, no tie, dress slacks+shoes.

Basically you have business (suit), high-end business casual (dress shirt, dress slacks, dress shoes), then low-end business casual (khaki pants, decent shoes, and a polo type shirt), then casual (shorts/jeans and t-shirt.

For court I dress in a business suit, everyday working I usually do low-end business casual. I mean, no one trusts people in suits except other people in suits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats kind of the direction i was leaning***

Apr 19, 2019, 11:00 AM

Bank, law firm, etc. I'd go with a suit.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

Tech company where people wear shorts, I'd probably take it down just one notch.

But for my job, khakis and a polo works for almost everything. I mean if I want someone to feel comfortable and talk with me sitting at the dinner table in their trailer in Clio, wearing a business suit is a sure fire way to not get the information I need to do my job.

Same token, if I do not dress in a suit for court, I would not do well getting done what I need to do on the witness stand as effectively. If I'm networking with clients at a social event, I usually go dress slacks, dress shirt/shoes, and maybe a jacket. Unless it's a charity gala or something, then I go black tie.

Basically, always dress to impress and what impresses people changes depending on who/what they are. Judge - suit. Client - High Business casual. Average person like those who I deal with most, low end business casual.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cargo shorts.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:19 AM

If they make a cargo shirt, wear that, too. Employers value cargo capacity in their employees.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 2 minutes of the masters I watched last week, I saw

Apr 19, 2019, 10:23 AM

some dude (no idea who) was putting, and two guys were walking by in the background. You guessed it--both wearing cargo shorts and a v neck t shirt.

Go naked.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:28 AM

It shows that you're willing to bare your very soul for the opportunity to work with this company.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Surprised, shocked, and disappointed that it took 32 minutes

Apr 19, 2019, 10:39 AM

for this reply to get posted. Thank you, RH Tig for picking up the torch for the rest of the slackers in here.

MauldinT, where are you???

Sorry for the delay.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:41 AM

I had to run down the hall to pee or would have been sooner.

Tuxedo t-shirt.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:31 AM

It says you want to be formal but you're there to party.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Re: Thanks, couldn’t remember why I had one!***

Apr 19, 2019, 5:42 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd probably go with dress shirt ( no tie, or jacket))

Apr 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

and dress pants. If you decide to wear a jacket I would wear a blue or black blazer.

Good luck!

And...

Apr 19, 2019, 11:44 AM

Danner boots, of course!

A condom

Apr 19, 2019, 6:02 PM

It shows you’re ready to proceed.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Re: What to wear to an interview?

Apr 19, 2019, 6:47 PM

Nice pair of Bonobos slim fit khakis and an untuckit button down with some cole Hann sneaker loafers

This says, I am old but can be young and cool and professional at the same time.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic