Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Dad played in ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

My Dad played in ...

Oct 22, 2018, 4:58 PM

My Dad played in the last Big Thursday Game !
https://twitter.com/essoclub2/status/1054475675384627203?s=21

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Neat stuff. Thanks!***

Oct 22, 2018, 5:38 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Dad played in ...

Oct 22, 2018, 6:34 PM

Did the ##### and The STATE TRY to keep the photos hidden for nearly 60 years? Probably so - anyone know anything about the 3 guys on the sideline? Evidence of early infighting by #### fans?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like the tradition of turning off the score board...

Oct 22, 2018, 6:45 PM

...as soon as time expired on a Clemson victory started long ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My freshman year (1959) & attended that game in Cola and had rear pants pocket ripped...

Oct 22, 2018, 6:59 PM

off by a Carolina male cheerleader after I other dumb RATs jumped the hedge just b/4 start of game and went running onto the field to retrieve the Tigers tail that had been ripped off..

and lo & behold I became cannon folder at 125 lbs & took off running and as i literally dove over the hedges to my front row seat as the Coot cheerleader grabbed my pants pocket. RiP!

But what a game..the last Big Thursday Fair game where Clemson would never have to come back to Cola yearly as before since the State Legislature decreed that it would be a Home & Away schedule for the 1st time since 1897.

Saying, Clemson played every game in Cola since 1897..and still had a winning record!

Coach Howard was so relieved over the win and that fact that he tipped his hat to the Carolina side in the last seconds (pic of him doing that is famous) to say Good-Bye and see you in Clemson (1960) for the 1st time in 60+ years!

UNBELIEVABLE Fact!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My freshman year (1959) & attended that game in Cola and had rear pants pocket ripped...

Oct 22, 2018, 7:09 PM

That's a great story, thanks for sharing.

Great story BiLl!!

Oct 22, 2018, 8:44 PM [ in reply to My freshman year (1959) & attended that game in Cola and had rear pants pocket ripped... ]

You AND Joe21® need to write a book! Or two!

You both have really lived!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 22, 2018, 7:08 PM

I noticed the Esso Club advertised on the score board.

Oct 22, 2018, 7:23 PM

Pretty sure that was an advertisement for Esso gasoline...

Oct 22, 2018, 7:45 PM

Could have been the 1st Central American exchange student throwing some shade at the Coots...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 7:31 PM

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 22, 2018, 9:06 PM

My Mother was born in 1927. My Dad played for Clemson in 40 and 41. Mom said all the girls bought new dresses every year for Big Thursday. She said the game lost something when they took it off Thursday.

That's Cool!! My uncle was QB in that game.

Oct 22, 2018, 10:51 PM

Harvey White.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's Cool!! My uncle was QB in that game.

Oct 22, 2018, 11:08 PM

Remember your uncle well, he was a very good qb!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

My Dad has a ball from that game

Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 PM

signed by many of the players. He painted “Last Big Thursday Game” on it and the score. Most of the signatures are now faded, looks like they used a ball point pen. I grew up with that ball proudly displayed in our den.

Dad said that the ball went off of the side of the Carolina punters foot and into the stands and being 6’7” he was the first to get a hand on it. After catching the ball, he quickly hid it in is overcoat under his seat. The highway patrol came up into the stands to retrieve the ball but gave up after a few minutes. I will see if I can get Dad to send me a photo to post.

He also tells the story about the year before when a few of his buddies went down to Columbia several days before the game and burned Clemson on the field with liquid fertilizer. They were never caught.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic