Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame is On Fire... Literally...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Notre Dame is On Fire... Literally...

Apr 15, 2019, 2:06 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6925015/Fire-breaks-historic-Notre-Dame-cathedral-Paris.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

that can't be good.***

Apr 15, 2019, 2:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame is On Fire... Literally...

Apr 15, 2019, 2:17 PM

Yeah that is awful, but it is way worse than that now. The fire is raging right now. That building is toast. That will take decades to replicate.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:22 PM

Can’t be replicated. One of kind. Unbelievable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:33 PM

Yeah it can be replicated. It will be just that...a replica. They already talked about it on tv. They had plans in place for if the building was ever destroyed by war. It will take decades and it won't have the historical value. It will be a replica. Tragic

They'll probably push to get it done by 2024 and have

Apr 15, 2019, 2:35 PM

a huge ceremony with the Summer Olympics

Apr 15, 2019, 2:27 PM

So sad. Such a beautiful place. I hate it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And very sybolic of what's happening to France.

Apr 15, 2019, 2:36 PM

Sad. Very, very sad.

800 yrs old & even Napoleon used it during his time.

Apr 15, 2019, 2:43 PM

13,000,000 vistors a year will now have No beautuful cathedral to see & visit! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 800 yrs old & even Napoleon used it during his time.

Apr 15, 2019, 5:07 PM

There is still St. Peter’s. I’ve been to both St. Peter’s and Notre Dame. In my opinion, once you’ve seen St. Peter’s there no need to go see any other cathedrals. It is the by far the greatest and most beautiful cathedral in the world. And OMG all the art work there. Simply breathtaking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 800 yrs old & even Napoleon used it during his time.

Apr 15, 2019, 6:41 PM [ in reply to 800 yrs old & even Napoleon used it during his time. ]

the good news, if it can be called that, is that a good bit of it was actually damaged beyond use during the French Terror, and so much of what is there is actually about 150 years old, rather than 800. But there are plenty of parts that really are 800 years old. The other good news is that apparently they were able to contain the fire so that the whole structure didn't collapse.

That looks really, really bad...***

Apr 15, 2019, 2:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:54 PM

How does fire get that far in a historic building in as large a city as Paris in 2019. I toured it in 1976. Very sad.

Can't get water where it's needed.

Apr 15, 2019, 4:50 PM

The tallest articulated aerial devices aren't tall enough to reach over the walls and put enough water down into the seat of the fire. It's also a crazy high fire load, over 50 acres of wood inside. This fire will burn until it runs out of fuel.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 PM

Losing the building is a tragedy... But the art work and tapestries... would hate to be the Frog caught flipping a cigarette during his work break...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 3:19 PM

Unbelievable. Heard a commentator say a French news service indicated it started in the attic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apparently the fire took out the hyphen in Notre-Dame

Apr 15, 2019, 3:21 PM

Almost all the American news outlets are misspelling the cathedral.

From what I've read on Twitter (so take it for what it's worth) the fire started on accident by ongoing repairs being made.

So sad...it took almost 200 years to build

Apr 15, 2019, 3:28 PM

Hopefully, they were able to save the relics and artwork that had not been removed for the restoration.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 15, 2019, 3:44 PM

wow. very sad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 4:56 PM

:(

Hey, some good news

Apr 15, 2019, 5:43 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/paris-notre-dame-cathedral-on-fire-reuters.html

"Paris’ Notre Dame Cathedral has been saved from “total destruction,” according to a French fire official, after a massive fire ripped through the structure on Monday and caused the roof and main spire to collapse.

While it will take another three or four more hours to contain the fire, the official said the two towers have now been saved. That news come as a sign of relief after one of the towers caught fire earlier in the evening. Earlier, a French Interior Ministry official had said that firefighters might not be able to save the cathedral."

Is that Charles Laughton I spied running across the top

Apr 15, 2019, 6:35 PM

of the wall??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 6:38 PM

A terrible loss! Still more tragic though has been the loss of faith in France and all of Europe. I pray as this magnificent cathedral is restored, so will the faith of Europe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

keep in mind, the reason that those european

Apr 15, 2019, 6:44 PM

countries abandoned religion in large part was because the church became intertwined with the state and found more and more that it was less interested in serving Christ and more interested in serving mammon.

Interestingly, the most devoutly religious European countries

Apr 15, 2019, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame is On Fire... Literally... ]

are probably not the ones you'd want to live in, or even visit.

Top 10:

1. Romania
2. Armenia
3. Georgia
4. Greece
5. Moldova
6. Bosnia
7. Croatia
8. Poland
9. Portugal
10. Serbia

Sorry to be so cynical, but would not surprise me in the

Apr 15, 2019, 7:35 PM

least to learn this was an act of religious terrorism.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry to be so cynical, but would not surprise me in the

Apr 15, 2019, 10:05 PM

https://www.rt.com/news/456629-french-catholic-churches-attacks/

Here's a better article IMO

Apr 15, 2019, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Sorry to be so cynical, but would not surprise me in the ]

Paris police have hinted the March 17 fire in St. Sulpice, which damaged a door and window and spread soot on pews and artworks inside the church, might have been caused by homeless people setting old clothes ablaze.

“This is not an anti-religious attack,” said the Rev. Jean-Loup Lacroix, the pastor of St. Sulpice.

https://outline.com/r3LfhB

Re: Here's a better article IMO

Apr 16, 2019, 7:15 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/09/cell-of-french-women-radicalised-by-isis-behind-failed-notre-dame-attack

https://www.thedailybeast.com/an-isis-plot-to-blow-up-notre-dame-cathedraland-rule-the-world

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic