Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I Went Shopping for an Automobile
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

I Went Shopping for an Automobile

Jul 13, 2019, 11:41 AM

With my wife and I both approaching our graduation from the University of Florida in 1949, we realized we were going to need an automobile. The balance in our bank account was evidence we did not have enough money to buy an automobile, auto insurance and operating expenses. We had managed quite well without an automobile while in school. During the war, the automobile manufacturers had converted their facilities to producing war related items such as tanks, trucks and other types of rolling stock. After the war, production of automobiles was resumed but the demand was so great, one had to place an order and make a down payment. We decided we would look around to find a pre-war used car in relatively good condition.

One day when I had no classes I decided to thumb a ride to my old home town, about 16 miles away, to talk to the local banker who I had known all my life. I felt pretty confident he would approve a loan for several reasons. My Dad, before his death, used this bank. My wife's maternal Grandfather, before his death, had been the President of the bank for many years. Finally, my wife's Mother had inherited stock in the bank when her Father died.

I made my way to the spot where students thumbed a ride. I had about $5.00 in my pocket and my plan was to talk to the banker, learn of the decision, and return to Gainesville. All went well. In less than ten minutes I was on my way. Entering the bank, I was immediately ushered into the bankers office. We had a friendly greeting, asking about school and family and such. When we got down to business, he asked if I was interested in buying a new or used car. I told him I was interested in a used car as my budget couldn't afford a new one. He then told me he was getting ready to go to Jacksonville on business and if I would like to go with him I might be able to find something in Jacksonville.

That sounded like a good deal so off we went. My biggest worry was if that $5.00 was going to be enough to tide me over in Jacksonville, 75 miles away. My wife was in class and I had no way to let her know I would not be home until late afternoon or early evening. We arrived in Jacksonville and made arrangements about our meeting later in the afternoon.

I decided I would limit my "visiting" to the major automobile agencies, assuming their used autos would be in better shape than others dealing only in used cars. I spent the day visiting several agencies and found a 1941 Chevrolet four door sedan that appeared to best meet those factors I considered important. I did a bit of "haggling" and we arrived at an agreed on price. I told the gentleman, I had to meet my banker later that afternoon and for him to hold the car until we could get back.

The auto agencies I visited were scattered so my lunch and bus fares back and forth between the auto agencies had now consumed most of my $5.00. But I was still solvent and could afford a hamburger or hotdog on my way back to Gainesville if I were to get hungry. I met the banker at the agreed location and time. He asked if I had found something and when I said "yes" he asked if I thought we could get a better price. I told him we had done a little "haggling" and I doubted we could get a better deal.

We drove to the auto agency, the banker handed me a blank check and told me I could pay the man. We collected all the paperwork and was ready to go to Gainesville. I got in the old Chevy, turned on the ignition and looked at the gas gauge. The needle was almost on empty. When I test drove the Chevy, the only thing I didn't check was the gas gauge. There was no gas at the auto agency and I knew I didn't have enough money to get enough gas to get to Gainesville. The price of gas was unreasonable, twenty seven cents per gallon !!! So, I approached the banker and asked if he could loan me enough money so I could buy enough gas to get home.

I finally arrived back in Gainesville about 8:00 PM and the first thing my wife said, "I've been worried sick. Where have you been"? My response. "I went to Jacksonville to buy us a car". "You, what"? And then I told the story of how my day had gone.

By the way, she liked the car. We drove that car for several years and never had any problems. When I sold the car, I sold it for the same price I had paid several years earlier and we didn't have to "haggle".

I forgot to mention that before we left Jacksonville, the banker said to me -- "Joe, there is no rush but when you have time come by the bank and we'll do the paper work".

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Went Shopping for an Automobile

Jul 13, 2019, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the story. I might you need to go car shopping with me, when I can afford a used one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Banker giving you a ride, a blank check, and some gas money?

Jul 13, 2019, 12:23 PM

It was a better time back then.

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2019, 12:29 PM

Great story - Joe ... thanks for sharing... BTW - why didn’t you just use your cell phone to let your wife know what you were doing?? Oh. ... wait. ..., lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 13, 2019, 12:55 PM

It made a big difference in that time about the character of your name and relationships I believe that’s true sometime today but nobody has time for relationships because we are so busy with phones and our gadgets it’s rare that your name means as much unless your credit check or computer reputation says so.

A hand shake and somebody giving you their word is good if it’s convenient or unless something better comes along for them. You buy or sell something from local Facebook or sales sites the people may show up sometimes and if someone offers them 5 dollars more they will sell it rather than keeping your deal.

Don’t get me wrong I love the conveniences but I do wish people would keep their word.

Thanks for sharing!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Having a crap day at ATL airport

Jul 13, 2019, 1:00 PM

Dealing with mongoloid TSA idiots. The story got me back to a good place

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing Joe

Jul 13, 2019, 1:14 PM

I'm 30 years old, and I dislike this generation I'm in...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most enjoyable car & bank loan story JOE!

Jul 13, 2019, 1:27 PM

...and it brought a smile since I too, like all of us, have a story about 1st bank loan for a car but I won't go into that except..

my 1st car bank loan was between stints at Clemson and I had a job, and it was for a new car (1961 Black MG Roadster with removable hardtop for $3300) which I had to sell one year later in order to go back to Clemson married..

And then my 2nd bank loan was acquired in Pendleton as a student living in the WW2 Prefabs dotted around campus (ours was located in what is the parking lot above the hill that leads down to the baseball stadium's main entry).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most enjoyable car & bank loan story JOE!

Jul 13, 2019, 4:56 PM

Great story - LBB ...I also lived in the prefabs - Milky Way Lane ... near the P&A building... Best time of my life .... Had a 1968 BRG MG at the time. . Had a yellow 1970 MG later... They were great cars .... Now have a Nissan 350 Z ... lol

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 13, 2019, 2:36 PM

Thanks for the story Joe. After driving around Clemson for several years in a 1958 ford with missing motor mounts, I was overjoyed to buy a new 1966 Malibu Chevrolet dealership in Seneca. Negotiated price was $2400 w/o a/c.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic