Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
While watching War-Serving US Presidents Program, JFK indirectly mentions Clemson’s Rudy Anderson..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

While watching War-Serving US Presidents Program, JFK indirectly mentions Clemson’s Rudy Anderson..

Feb 18, 2019, 7:41 PM

concerning the Cuban Missle Crisis in that he, President Kennedy, told the nation via live TV from the White House that we had irrefutable evidence of Russian ships carrying missiles near & to Cuba.

Thus, he was referring to Rudy’s U-2 Plane hi-attitude flights taking pics.

Sadly, Greenville native Anderson died later in a crash and is buried in Cleveland Municipal Park in G’ville.

Thx & Salute Rudy!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, Rudolph Anderson was shot ......

Feb 18, 2019, 7:57 PM

down and killed while flying his U-2 in a spy mission over Cuba. He was the only U.S. casualty of the Cuban missile crisis. He attended my high school in Greenville, S.C..

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, Rudolph Anderson was shot ......

Feb 18, 2019, 9:00 PM

That would be G'ville HS.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I hate to be that person, but it's Rudolf Anderson (link)

Feb 19, 2019, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Actually, Rudolph Anderson was shot ...... ]

His story:

https://www.history.com/news/the-cuban-missile-crisis-pilot-whose-death-may-have-saved-millions

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Major Rudolph Anderson

Feb 18, 2019, 7:59 PM

Major Rudolph Anderson's U-2 plane was shot down by a Russian supplied Cuban SAM missile on a later mission after he originally took the photos of Russian missiles in Cuba. He was the only American killed by combat in the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. Clemson's Arnold Air Society is the Major Rudolph Anderson Squadron, and I was a proud member during my ROTC tenure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you were at the game in Calif that pre-game fly over was

Feb 18, 2019, 8:02 PM

a U2...Had to take a second look but that's what it was. Didn't know they were still flying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you were at the game in Calif that pre-game fly over was

Feb 18, 2019, 8:14 PM

Some U-2s are still flying, but all of the SR-71s have been retired. It is a little strange that I now see SR-71s at Air Force museums. When I was in the AF, only those directly connected with the plane could see it. I remember one having a mechanical problem and landing at Dobbins AFB, and the general base commander was not allow close to the plane.

Major Anderson was born & raised 2 doors down from where my Dad

Feb 18, 2019, 9:06 PM

was born & raised in Greenville.

In the summers, my sister & I would go stay with our Grandparents for a week or 2 every year. Many times I would walk down to Rudy's Mom's front porch & talk with her about Rudy & Clemson & just things.

I wish I had a better appreciation of those times as they were happening.

But at least I knew enough at the time to want to talk to her.

Rudy was a Senior at Clemson when my Dad was a Freshman. I think Rudy was my Dad's platoon leader or something and because they grew up 2 houses apart, he took my Dad under his wing.

If I had a chance to talk with my Dad for just another hour or 2 - Major Rudolph Anderson would definitely be several minutes of the conversation.

Now that the U2 plane isn't a top secret machine and most are probably out of service - I have felt for quite some time the memorial at Cleveland Park should be a U2 plane instead of the F86 Sabre that has always been there. I think I remember the F86 Sabre was the fighter planes Major Anderson flew in the Korean War.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

He voluntered for a suicide mission to save America

Feb 18, 2019, 9:41 PM

(and the world) from Thermo-Nuclear War.

Just a typical Tiger Hero, of which Clemson has many.

^^ Very Well said BENGAL!

Feb 19, 2019, 10:45 AM

Never quite thought of it that way..his actions were so important for many millions of others but selfless of him.

What a TRUE Hero...thx Rudy!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks LB.

Feb 19, 2019, 11:15 AM

And much more thanks to those 600 Tigers who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Great American....My middle name is Anderson

Feb 19, 2019, 11:01 AM

and comes from that side (rudy's) side of the family.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigertown

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic