Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ingrown Toenail
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Ingrown Toenail

Oct 18, 2017, 8:38 PM

Have you ever had an ingrown toenail? It can be a pain in the ### toe. I had one as a young boy but remember it as not being a terrible thing, just an inconvenience. Went to the doctor and don't remember a thing it did so I mark that up as a not so special event. My other ingrown toenail occurred during WW2.

We were on field maneuvers at Camp Crowder, MO, a short time before we were to ship out to Europe. I had a toenail that was giving me fits and roaming around in those woods was no picnic. I went on sick call to the infirmary which served our area at Camp Crowder. The Doctor looked at my toe and asked, "when do you want to go to the hospital"? Go to the hospital for an ingrown toenail? I thought that was an in-house job. The Doctor explained that many guys were getting infections after the procedure and it was now customary to go to the hospital and be there for three or four days. Well., I had to go back in the woods to get my gear so I made arrangements to go to the hospital the next morning.

Arriving at the hospital, I was ushered to a huge ward filled with GIs who were awaiting surgery or had already been under the knife. Looking around, I saw several beds with a tent like device at the foot of the bed. I soon learned those beds were occupied by GIs who had foot surgery, mostly for ingrown toenails. The tent like devices kept the covers off of their feet.

My procedure was schedule for the next morning. After the evening meal, here came the prep crew, two nurses aides and two GI Orderlies. Both of my legs were washed, shaved and sanitized up to my knees. I began to think there was a mistake in my problem and I as going to have both feet amputated.

The next morning was the day of reckoning. In came two nurses aides with a gurney, which they placed at the side of my bed. They discretely lifted the sheet so I could slide onto the gurney. Apparently, they thought I did not have on my pajama bottom because I threw the sheet back and they shrieked.

Safely on the gurney, I was wheeled about one-half mile to the operating room. I was completely covered with only my face showing. As we passed people standing or walking in the hallway I could sense their wondering if I was going to live.

The procedure went well and I spent four days in the hospital doing absolutely nothing while my buddies were out in the field spending 20 hours each day and night playing soldier. After my discharge from the hospital I was placed on light duty which meant I didn't have to participate in the final stages of the maneuvers.

But I still don't want another episode of an ingrown toenail.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ingrown Toenail

Oct 18, 2017, 8:45 PM

Did you ride in an ambulance or a toe truck to get to the hospital? Haha

Thanks for your service sir!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so as a dermatologist I'm compelled to ask..

Oct 18, 2017, 8:47 PM

knowing the techniques applied back then, do you still have a nail at all or just no nail?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so as a dermatologist I'm compelled to ask..

Oct 18, 2017, 9:12 PM

The procedure was quite simple. The side of the ingrown nail was removed all the way down to the root so, in essence, the nail is not as wide but otherwise, a full nail, and no problems since 1944. The reason for the hospital stay--- some men returned to duty the next day and did not follow orders re common sense care. A couple of guys had returned to the hospital with an infection and told me the infection was worse than the ingrown toenail.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Joe ...Most of us .....

Oct 18, 2017, 9:57 PM

....could have extended that toe nail issue to November 1944!
THANKS for your SERVICE!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your user name is appropriate for this thread.***

Feb 20, 2018, 6:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2018, 12:26 AM

Yes, few days back I was suffering from the same issue but my ingrown toenail situation was not severe and so I tried some home remedies suggested by some people. If your ingrown toenail is not so severe then you can try such remedies and get rid of ingrown toenails easily.
• You can take little but equal amount of water and apple cider vinegar and soak your feet in it for at least half an hour for some regular days.
• Make use of Vaseline with the help of cotton swab, apply it on your infected ingrown toenails.
You need to apply only these two remedies for some regular days and soon you will notice that your ingrown toenails are repaired or corrected. You can also look for more remedies for several toenail infections at CuretoenailFungus.Info

Feb 20, 2018, 12:52 AM

Given the extensive pre-op procedure, I would've made sure they didn't confuse me with someone needing an amputation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Feb 20, 2018, 4:33 AM

My patients have found the Velcro straps to be very easy to use and adjust, especially those with arthritis in their hands. I have appreciated the constant updating to the products with new offerings and improvements to the line every season and look forward to continuing to offer the shoes to my patients for many years.I have been offering patients Orthofeet shoes for 6+ years and my patients, both diabetics and non-diabetic, have found them to be comfortable and stylish.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic