Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank you Mr. Lincoln...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Thank you Mr. Lincoln...

Nov 19, 2013, 9:01 AM

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: Thank you Mr. Lincoln...

Nov 19, 2013, 9:02 AM

Wow. 150 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you Mr. Lincoln...great speech and look Ma

Nov 19, 2013, 9:03 AM

no prompter!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

P&R Board.......go to Tigernet Forums, find P&R

Nov 19, 2013, 9:05 AM

Board listing and click. It is as simple to create this thread over there in its rightful spot as it was here in the wrong spot where nothing good comes out of these posts.

Re: P&R Board.......go to Tigernet Forums, find P&R

Nov 19, 2013, 9:12 AM

Coming from the guy who makes 7 out of 10 threads he posts on political.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is my shadow. Yep, knobgobbler, look over my posts

Nov 19, 2013, 9:15 AM

and tell me how many in the football section have anything to do with politics. I'll give you all day to get back to me, thug.

Great and timely "re-post"

Nov 19, 2013, 9:07 AM

And glad that the original words "under god" are in your version. I'm just ashamed that our own president purposely avoided the words ("by their creator") when he quoted the Declaration a couple of years ago.

your attitude has been noticed and reported, comrade.

Nov 19, 2013, 9:09 AM

Change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Goes to show you that even a terrible

Nov 19, 2013, 9:11 AM

president can have a good speech every now and then.

Also what does this have to do with football again? Missed that point

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: Goes to show you that even a terrible

Nov 19, 2013, 9:23 AM

The guy who helped free the slaves was a terrible president? News to me.

Are you a follower of Zachary Comstock?

And trampled on the Constitution to do it for political

Nov 19, 2013, 9:42 AM

reasons and not because he cared about them? Curious how his emancipation only freed the slaves in occupied Southern states and not the slaves still in the North. Hmmmmmm

But I digress, I seriously doubt either one of us is going to convince the other to change opinions.

Go Tigers!!

Re: And trampled on the Constitution to do it for political

Nov 19, 2013, 9:43 AM

Agreed, better to let this be.

Go Tigers

Funny

Nov 19, 2013, 2:28 PM [ in reply to And trampled on the Constitution to do it for political ]

I thought the 13th Amendment made all men free. Maybe you're reading a different Constitution.

The consitution is far from the only document and

Nov 19, 2013, 4:11 PM [ in reply to And trampled on the Constitution to do it for political ]

source for guiding principles. No less than the declaration of independence was Lincoln's ultimate appeal - for a union and a house undivided. And for freedom and liberty.

I know your argument well, but it's slanted.

THe man should be given props for holding the union strong, and INITIATING the end of slavery. We know that it didn't go away right away, not in the north or the south.

oh man on of those

Nov 19, 2013, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Goes to show you that even a terrible ]

i had a middle school teacher once tell my class that Licoln was our worst president.

What a bone head

Nov 19, 2013, 1:16 PM

He was obviously our second worst President behind Woodrow Wilson. Everybody knows that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

must have been pre-Clinton and pre-Obama***

Nov 19, 2013, 9:59 PM [ in reply to oh man on of those ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for posting this! Been a while since I read it

Nov 19, 2013, 9:29 AM

and there should certainly be no controversy needed in this thread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I had the opportunity to visit and tour Gettysburg....

Nov 19, 2013, 9:35 AM

on two prior occasions. If you ever have the chance to tour the battlefield and explore the significant sites of this dramatic event, including the soldiers national cemetary, this is something I would highly recommend particularly if you enjoy US history. A visit will give you a much greater perspective and understanding the next time you are watching the movie or a documentary on the battle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I had the opportunity to visit and tour Gettysburg....

Nov 19, 2013, 9:38 AM

we toured the Little Bighorn once. Much smaller battle but you get a powerful vibe in a battle field thinking about how many sacrificed and died there. I've toured others and get the same feeling. Never toured Gettysburg though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have been fortunate enough to tour....

Nov 19, 2013, 9:54 AM

several Civil War battlefields including Manassas (Bull Run), Fredricksburg, Antietam (Sharpsburg), Chancellorsville, and Appomattox Court House. Gettysburg was by far my favorite followed by Appomattox.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have been fortunate enough to tour....

Nov 19, 2013, 10:17 AM

the place I really want to see is the Pearl Harbor Memorial. every time I see it or the outline of the Arizona I find that very moving

Incredible, incredible place. Was there on a VERY still &

Nov 19, 2013, 10:39 AM

quiet Sunday morning . . . have never felt anything like that.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I camped there years ago....

Nov 19, 2013, 12:14 PM

Early on a Sunday morning before daylight, I hiked to the top of the Round Tops to watch the sunrise over the town of Gettysburg and the northern portion of Little Round Top. As I sat and leaned against the monument of Brigadier General Gouverneur Warren, the horrible carnage of those three days in July of 1863 were replaced by a serenity and a beauty that is difficult to describe unless you are there to experience it for yourself.

been there. It's blows you away when you look down into

Nov 19, 2013, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I have been fortunate enough to tour.... ]

the water and see the USS Arizona underneath you. It still oozes oil and fluid to the surface of the water. It's a surreal place, and a tomb for those brave souls who died in that attack.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been there too. Very moving indeed !!!!***

Nov 19, 2013, 1:00 PM

Devil's Den at Gettysburg was my favorite part when I went,

Nov 19, 2013, 10:18 AM [ in reply to I have been fortunate enough to tour.... ]

I really wish the movie Gettysburg had spent more time on that part of the battle imo

http://youtu.be/zo8u1iPmuYc
(start at 2:35)

Although Sharpsburg was a close second, and Chickamauga is worth going to if you're ever up near Chatanooga, TN

Agreed...

Nov 19, 2013, 10:25 AM

the whole area around the round tops, the peach orchard, the wheat field, and devils den are my favorite part of the park. That along with the location of Pickett's Charge. You really can't appreciate what a monumental task the confederate infantry was asked undertake until you see for yourself that large expanse of nearly a mile across open fields.

Then dress in 100% cotton clothing on a

Nov 19, 2013, 10:28 AM

95 degree day then asked to walk across all that ground while staring at guns that are shooting at you

The uniforms were wool or a wool/cotton blend ....

Nov 19, 2013, 11:00 AM

Certainly not ideal for a sweltering July day.

Would love to see; loved the part in "Remember the Titans"

Nov 19, 2013, 9:57 AM [ in reply to I had the opportunity to visit and tour Gettysburg.... ]

where they had camp at Gettysburg and visited the
battlefield, but not all of that was exactly how it
happened.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/rememberthetitans.php

Be excellent to one another, and party on dudes!!!!!***

Nov 19, 2013, 9:48 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm curious, how does allowing the Southern states to secede

Nov 19, 2013, 9:53 AM

cause government of/by/for the people to cease to exist if the Northern states still had the Constitutional government set up by the Founding Fathers?

Jeff Davis was not trying to rule Washington.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you Mr. Lincoln...???????????

Nov 19, 2013, 11:09 AM

For what. He was not a honest man to say the least

What does this have to do with Tiger Football?***

Nov 19, 2013, 11:35 AM

Good ole Dishonest Abe***

Nov 19, 2013, 1:05 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Nov 19, 2013, 2:30 PM

+ 100

Some of the most beautiful words ever written.

Nov 19, 2013, 6:52 PM

but how does forcing states into a union by force, destroying homes and crops of innocent civilians, and locking up thousands of political prisoners in the north = democracy?

Nov 20, 2013, 9:16 AM

First of all Lincoln was a lawyer...need I say more.

Lincolns own words in an open letter to Horace Greeley:

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

They also wrote this on the Lincoln Memorial

And *^&*%&^$%&^ *(^*^ *(**^ Barry

Nov 19, 2013, 5:08 PM

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/11/19/Obama-Removes-God-From-Gettysburg-Address

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic