Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Terry Don Phillips went against
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Terry Don Phillips went against

Dec 10, 2018, 9:19 PM

conventional wisdom and gave a wide/receiver coach, turned interim coach, to the reins to a major university football program. When named interim coach, Dabo said the players need to show up on the practice field tonight and be all in. They need to be all in and if they do, we'll see what happens.

Here's what happened:

114-30 record
7 Division Titles: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
6 ACCCG Appearances: 2009, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
5 ACC Championships: 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
4 Playoff Appearances: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
2 Undefeated Regular Seasons: 2015, 2018
2 National Championship Game Appearances: 2015, 2016
1 National Runner-up: 2015
1 National Championship: 2016

3 Orange Bowls: 2011, 2013^, 2015^
1 Fiesta Bowl: 2016^
1 Sugar Bowl: 2017
1 Cotton Bowl: 2018
1 Peach Bowl: 2012^
1 Gator Bowl: 2008
1 Music City Bowl: 2009^
1 Russell Athletic Bowl^
1 Belk Bowl: 2010

14-win seasons: 2
13-win seasons: 1 and still in progress
12-win seasons: 1
11-win seasons: 2
10 win seasons: 2
9-win seasons: 2
7- win seasons: 1
6-win seasons: 1

national rankings:
2009: #24
2011: #22
2012: #9
2013: #8
2014: #15
2015: #2
2016: #1
2017: #4
2018: #2 and still in progress

Victories over: Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State twice, Oklahoma twice, Notre Dame, Florida State 6 times, South Carolina 6 times, Auburn 4 times, Texas Am, Miami twice, Virginia Tech 5 times.

A 3-2 College Football Playoff record. The only team we have ever lost to in the playoff is Alabama and we are 1-2 vs the Tide.
The three Clemson playoff wins equal the number of playoff wins for the Pac-12, Big-12 and Big=10 conferences combined! And are more than any other school in the nation other than Alabama.

At times, you just have to go against conventional to catch lightening in a bottle.

Thanks Terry Don!
Thanks Dabo, Players, Assistant Coaches, and Support Staff

Go Tigers
High Five
Thumbs Up

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Terry Don Phillips went against

Dec 10, 2018, 9:26 PM

Impressive to say the least. And thank you for sharing all the accolades. GO TIGERS!

Thanks for the Blessing you gave us, TDP!

Dec 10, 2018, 9:30 PM

Go Tigers... all the way!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang! That "cheerleader"

Dec 10, 2018, 9:30 PM

has a lot to cheer about.

Glad we do too!

Dec 10, 2018, 9:31 PM

Great post! TU for the reminders!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry for the typos, just typing fast.***

Dec 10, 2018, 9:50 PM

Dec 10, 2018, 9:32 PM

is that all?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Miami 3 times***

Dec 10, 2018, 9:37 PM

Dec 10, 2018, 10:14 PM

That wasn't to good of a hire was it, TDP I think could have done better. I think that he should have been fired, don't Y'all!!! ;) ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention the great players that Dabo brought along

Dec 10, 2018, 10:20 PM

CJ, Tajh, Sammy, Nuk, Vic, Grady, Watson, Watkins, Williams, Tay, Kelly B, ETN, Trevor, Christian, etc etc.

Being able to cheer for these guys has made it all that much better.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Not to mention the great players that Dabo brought along

Dec 10, 2018, 10:47 PM

Terry "Dumb"Phillips

Dabo has 8 years straight of 10 wins seasons***

Dec 11, 2018, 7:17 AM

And to think you gave up on that program and the school.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:19 AM

You publicly disowned the university and disavowed all things Clemson. Too bad, because it's a fun ride to be on these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: And to think you gave up on that program and the school.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:28 AM

From where we were before 2010, to where we are now, we have had 8 straight good to great years. Any Tiger fan that hasn't satisfied these past 8 years, they should turn in their Clemson Tiger fan card, and find themselves another team and wear their gear, bc it's a shame for them to have the privileged to wear the Paw!!!

OP already turned in his Clemson Tiger fan card

Dec 11, 2018, 10:32 AM

and declared himself estranged from the University

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/To-my-fellow-Clemson-Tigers-Pulling-for-Clemson-has-15344778#15344778

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: OP already turned in his Clemson Tiger fan card***

Dec 11, 2018, 10:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: OP already turned in his Clemson Tiger fan card

Dec 11, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to OP already turned in his Clemson Tiger fan card ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Dios mio!***

Dec 11, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to OP already turned in his Clemson Tiger fan card ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 8:50 AM

Missed a win over LSU

Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 AM

Thumbs up! I think I may have that printed on a card to pass out to certain people with short memories. Mostly usuc fans who like to use the ACC card.
You left out one big win that may have gotten the ball rolling....LSU.

If (when) we win the Natty this year...

Dec 11, 2018, 9:42 AM

We'll have the best record of any team in the College Football Playoff. We'd have a 5-2 record.

If we beat Bama in the Natty, Bama would be 6-3 (we have better win percentage) and would be tied with Ohio St in win %.

If we beat Oklahoma, Bama would be 5-3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe that Dabo gets to work on the Bama part of that

Dec 11, 2018, 11:09 AM

record again this year. He does not want to be the leader of the ROY bus, he wants to kick Bama to that spot. We will be tied 2-2 in playoff games against them after this year, and next year, we take the lead. Mark it down!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't play Bama this year, we play Oklahoma***

Dec 11, 2018, 12:41 PM

Re: We don't play Bama this year, we play Oklahoma***

Dec 11, 2018, 1:31 PM

Could be, but I for one will be disappointed if it is not Bama. Kyler Murray will certainly be the X-Factor in that game. Saban teams have historically had problems with good scrambling QBs. (Johnny Football, Machine Gun Kelly, DW4, to name a few.) It will be interestating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 1:09 PM

All that sounds good and all, but whose to say that we wouldn't have had even more success if we had promoted Vic Koenning or brought in a "proven" commodity like Ralph Friedgen or Bud Foster?

;)

Just reminiscing about some of the things I heard back when Dabo was promoted and even as late as the 2011 Orange Bowl debacle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would love for TDP to do an interview...

Dec 11, 2018, 1:34 PM

Talking about those interim weeks and interviews between him and Dabo.

It would be quite insightful to hear about the various stages of confidence and actions that led TDP to finally knowing that CDS was "the guy".

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Dec 11, 2018, 1:51 PM

This is, without a doubt, the best thing you’ve ever posted.

More of this.

and Chas Tom would argue we wasted close to 4 years

Dec 11, 2018, 3:34 PM

having to “on-the-job train” our amazing Coach - because he was never even a coordinator.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

anyone old enough

Dec 11, 2018, 4:27 PM

To remember when Bobby Robinson was in charge? The dark days of dear ole Clemson U!

"He Who Shall Not Be Named"

Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 PM

I was young, but I remember sitting in my fifth grade classroom and a teacher walked in to tell my teacher (a huge Clemson fan) that Danny Ford had resigned. I recall the utter of several swear words in BR and Max Lennon's direction. Bless it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 4:32 PM

Forgot about the win over LSU

Dec 11, 2018, 4:58 PM

That one didnt count. Cuz, you know, the LSU players didnt want to be there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure did. I noticed that right after i posted. That was a

Dec 11, 2018, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Terry Don Phillips went against ]

biggie

Dec 12, 2018, 10:20 AM

Don’t worry about your post 5 years ago shown by GWPTiger. Anyone who could bring up a post one of us made 5 years ago has a little to much time on their hands.

We all make mistakes. I waged my Tigernet membership on Zion Willams committing to Clemson about 10 minutes later he committed to Duke. Most on Tigernet has forgiven me for making such an emotional decision not so smart decision without thinking it out to clearly.

But be careful what you post and posting something on pure emotion.

That said thank you for the stats. Quiet impressive by Dabo and Co.

Let me get this straight...

Dec 12, 2018, 5:37 PM

When someone publicly backs themselves into a corner by making an emotional, ill advised, short sighted, & irrational post, the person who remembers the post is the one who has a problem, not the person who actually made the post in the first place?

I hope you’re not serious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Let me get this straight...

Dec 12, 2018, 10:44 PM

Is that not what I said! Then I just cautioned the original to be careful what he post.

Dec 13, 2018, 6:58 AM

No, you said... “Don’t worry about your post 5 years ago shown by GWPTiger. Anyone who could bring up a post one of us made 5 years ago has a little to much time on their hands.”

If you don’t want something you posted to be remembered, don’t post it. It’s not GWP’s fault, no need to knock him for remembering.

Dec 13, 2018, 7:59 PM

I do think if someone can bring up something said 5 years ago to compare with what some said a few days ago has to much time on there hands.

It seems like many love digging up dirt or other negative stuff about everybody but themselves. Which is really sad!

I was very dissappointed in Terry Don Phillips

Dec 12, 2018, 11:34 AM

for several reasons but hiring Dabo was not one of them. I disliked very much his "gathering at the Paw" idea, his red shirt at the USC game, his cow-towing down to the coots after the brawl and several other things. I refused to even buy and Clemson merchandise until he left.

I started Clemson in 1968 and left in Dec. 1972. That was five football seasons and everyone of them was a losing season. So you could say I was a jinx on the team. But I learned that a win over any team whether it was UGA, USC or El Cid was a reason to celebrate. I think many of our fans need to learn that lesson and quit complaining about allowing the coots to score 35 when we only score 56. I have seen the highs and lows of Clemson football and right now we are at a high. I don't know how we can get much better but I know that we will not always be as dominate as we have been in the last few years and fans need to realize that.

But for some reason and I will go along with Dabo believing that a higher power had something to do with it put everything together to place Dabo in the spot he is in right now. TDP made the decision but something guided him to do such a crazy thing and we see how it worked out.

So enjoy the ride and just hope that it is a long one. And for those who complain about the same teams being in the CFP every year and locking everyone else out just take a look at the last 12 years of Clemson football and see how to get into the playoffs. Just Win Baby and you can join the party.

These are Glory Days and we should all be ALL IN - GO TIGERS***

Dec 12, 2018, 5:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My memory is fuzzy....

Dec 12, 2018, 10:57 PM

How did we win the division in 2012 and not appear in the ACC championship game?

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic