Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tell me if you agree......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,281

Tell me if you agree......

Aug 16, 2019, 3:35 PM

All the talk about one conference being better or stronger than the others is always argueable. I would admit that right now the SEC is stronger top to bottom than the ACC. The SEC has had a dominant team In college football for many years. Often times more than one. When I was a Clemson student in the early 60’s UGA was always considerably better than the Tigers. And they proved it early every season! It has been rare for the ACC to have a ranked team in the polls. When FSU joined the league the league also moved up a notch. Losing Maryland didn’t help the cause but the addition of Miami, Pitt. Syracuse and Louisville now gives the league the opportunity to shine. The amazing success that our Tigers have had will definately improve the quality of play we see in the league. Teams now know it’s possible in the ACC to bring in top flight recruits and they know that they must do this to compete with Clemson AND each other. Our Tigers have brought the league up a notch by themselves. The league gets much more football exposure today than they did just a few years ago. You know the reason why. We have already begun to see improvements in the coaching from several teams. It isn’t going to regress .... and neither is Clemson. The light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to shine more brightly!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tell me if you agree......

Aug 16, 2019, 3:50 PM

All the talk about one conference being better or stronger than the others is always argueable. STRONGLY AGREE

I would admit that right now the SEC is stronger top to bottom than the ACC. AGREE

The SEC has had a dominant team In college football for many years. AGREE

Often times more than one. SOMEWHAT AGREE

When I was a Clemson student in the early 60’s UGA was always considerably better than the Tigers. AGREE

And they proved it early every season! AGREE

It has been rare for the ACC to have a ranked team in the polls. DISAGREE

When FSU joined the league the league also moved up a notch. AGREE

Losing Maryland didn’t help the cause DISAGREE

but the addition of Miami, Pitt. Syracuse and Louisville now gives the league the opportunity to shine. SOMEWHAT AGREE

The amazing success that our Tigers have had will definately improve the quality of play we see in the league. STRONGLY AGREE

Teams now know it’s possible in the ACC to bring in top flight recruits and they know that they must do this to compete with Clemson AND each other. STRONGLY AGREE

Our Tigers have brought the league up a notch by themselves. AGREE

The league gets much more football exposure today than they did just a few years ago. AGREE

You know the reason why. SWOFFORD??? :)

We have already begun to see improvements in the coaching from several teams. SOMEWHAT AGREE

It isn’t going to regress .... SOMEWHAT AGREE

and neither is Clemson. STRONGLY AGREE

The light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to shine more brightly! AGREE

Aug 16, 2019, 4:01 PM

I appreciate that solid response Thanks

There was a time when Maryland was a very strong program.
I always looked forward to playing the Terps in the Valley .. never in College Park. NCSU fans were mild in comparison to the terps. And that’s saying something.

Aug 16, 2019, 4:11 PM

That is true - Maryland has had some good years in the past, even as recent as a few good ones with Friedgen. Definitely struggled since though, and not too sure they are going to turn it around any time soon.

it's pretty simple, and it goes back 50+ or more years

Aug 27, 2022, 6:08 PM

the majority of SEC schools decided way back when to emphasize football. Kentucky, Vandy excluded, as KY opted to go basketball and Vandy, well, Vandy is Vandy. Kentucky is the Clemson of the SEC, the lone wolf, the anti-consort.

So in the 50's, the ACC was formed and its majority schools decided to emphasize basketball. Clemson excluded, we (Frank Howard that is) opted to go football. You wonder how Clemson's entire fate might have changed if Coach Howard wasn't our AD/football coach at that moment in time.

And it has basically remained status quo through several generations, with the exception of some new teams added in both leagues with varying interests (FSU being a big one in ACC, SEC hasn't really added a big player maybe TAMU). The states that each school is in has tended to sway the same (e.g., SC is a football state, NC is a hoops state).

Not sure any of this is ever going to change. The football schools/states will stay football schools/states, and basketball schools/states will stay basketball schools/states.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me tink dis ya know

Aug 16, 2019, 6:24 PM

I am not a ACC fan!
I think people who are SEC fans are "brainwashed flunky's"! They have taken in too much of the "sauce"! Minus two names and the SEC isn't the force people perceive it as today. Those names being Meyer and Saban!
It's not a conference love affair when you talk about the ACC going 9-3 in 2016 compared to 6-7 for the SEC; it's facts.
Or last year the over-hyped SEC going 6-5 and the ACC going 7-5. Who cares what the other ACC teams are doing is the point. SEC folks have listened to Gary Danielson and Verne Lundquist and the other joker talk about SEC-Speed and athleticism so much - they lose touch with reality. The reality is - The ACC recruits the same area schools and region! The ACC is only second to the SEC as far as players in the NFL. 23-23 last 46 head to head.
Yet, I can't stand Wake! Duke! FSU! ETC. They don't care enough about the sport the game of football to invest properly. I give the SEC credit for having loyal, big fan bases. High interest and lots of appeal to "marketing firms"!
The silly folks who don't get marketing won't get this but; "it's an advertisers dream to have all those fish in a barrell"! Keep up the hype and keep them reved up; all the while you slip some suggestions as to "what they should buy" and "what's good for you"! And skeeter'and them just buy it right on up! There isn't enough interest in a large # of ACC schools for advertisers to want to try and get in the homes. They just wait for basketball season to try and get in that portion of the populations pocket or at least their brains! Someone will call me crazy - but that's just b/c they don't get it. The NFL for example, is what it is now b/c of advertising dollars!
It appeals to a mass audience and brands get to come across many people's TV screen because of the interest!
That access to those eyes b/c of the game earns those companies millions of dollars and the beer companies billions.
Do I think that they play good football and have good players in the SEC? YES!
But, are they what the hype suggest? No.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,281
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic