Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Critique this thought!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Critique this thought!

Mar 30, 2019, 9:18 AM

On the football field, when the ball is snapped, Clemson has eleven guys playing who absolutely refuse to lose.

This isn’t true in all other sports. We agree on that.

How does a coach instill that desire in his players? Is it even possible? We see the really great basketball teams play at a high level in tough games. Can you coach this kind of intensity in your team or is it something that evolves over a long period of success? I don’t have the answer to this tough question but I bet some of you have thoughts about it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this the worldwide story?!

Mar 30, 2019, 9:26 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Because-of-Some-Tools-Here-1894924
??
Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al CHAMPIONS!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: Is this the worldwide story?!

Mar 30, 2019, 9:34 AM

You win. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about,

It’s easy to be small minded and constantly offer your opinion on things you have NO control over but it’s especially hard to give an intelligent thought on a tough question.

I guess you didn't click on the link

Mar 30, 2019, 12:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: Critique this thought!

Mar 30, 2019, 9:44 AM

Actually, I strongly disagree with that.

I have seen nothing but hard work, and a spirit to fight in all sports for several years.

I have not seen nor remember a Clemson team quit in recent years. No "Bowden foldling". There was a nasty Duke soccer game way back on Riggs and that was the last time. That game got out-of-hand officiating, the players basically had a fight break out and when duke was up 2-0 or something you just saw it. The players knew the refs were tipping the scale and checked out. Lost 4-1. However, we didn't lose any intensity.

Winning and "a will to win" are two different things. Basketball teams normally do not drop to 1-5 in conference with injuries lingering and then go on a 8-4 run. Just because you "refuse to lose" does not mean you are going to win. Out skilled, out manned, out lucked all play a factor. Our football team (as you example put it) refuses to lose but on some days, you don't ways win. You just keep working. It is scary to think but the blow out loss (while painful) to FSU in 13 to steain' crab-legs still showed us a team that never quit working. You might not be the best team, but never be the team that quits (aka Georgia)

Mar 30, 2019, 9:52 AM

I appreciate that thought and agree with you 100% on the hard work and effort shown by all the teams. I purposefully didn’t use the word quit because I can never recall a team in recent years quitting on us. To me, there is a fine line between winning and losing and some teams seem to have the ability to reach back and get a little more at “crunch time” than others teams may have. I guess my thought is, is that a difference in coaching or something else?

Mar 30, 2019, 10:43 AM

Being able to reach down and get a little more is relatively simple...

Talent (athletes, skill, natural grace from god)

When two teams are slugging it out at 110%, almost always the team with the more talent will win. Not always but say 90%. Maybe there is a coaching edge to nudge, but a coach can't overcome a sizable talent gap.

For example, the Syracuse game. The Cuse was giving it all they had, there was no doubt. They were well coached, executing well. We were not. However what was it that Cuse could not adjust for? ETN's (and co) talent. We simply ran through them, caught a few lucky and unlucky breaks, but at the end of the day, out athletes were better than theirs and when pushed (aka crunch time) we succeeded.

What coaching did do was to make sure our team didn't "quit" or better yet, believed that our talent would prevail. (Not, this failed Bammy in the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd) That is something that can be coached. All of our teams believe right now, not all have the best talent on the field/court/course. We have good coaches.

Mar 30, 2019, 9:47 AM

There is writer who created the "blue chip ratio" and predicts with accuracy the varying number of teams who "can" win the National Championship each year. Usually only 8-12 teams are eligible. Dabo has the blue chip ratio and coaching where refusing to lose is easier than our other coaches. IMHO.

Mar 30, 2019, 9:57 AM

I think that you are right AL. To me it seems to be a trait that some coaches naturally have or have developed over time and Coach Swinney is certainly one guy with that gift. I would guess that he is in a small minority also.

A trait I think you see with great coaches

Mar 30, 2019, 10:06 AM

is that their teams play loose when crunch time comes. Great coaches instill confidence, put the right players in the right place, and take the heat when things dont go right, which happens.

When we were in the losing streak to U of SuC, Dabo gave us "the rant." He took the spotlight off the team and placed it squarely on himself. Danny used to do the same thing after a bad loss. They take the heat alleviating undue scrutiny of the team. That's what great coaches, great leaders do. The buck stops with them, and people respond to that

So how did it get there?

Mar 30, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Critique this thought! ]

Because it sure wasn't that way prior to Dabo

Re: So how did it get there?

Mar 30, 2019, 10:01 AM

I agree Dabo is likely our best coach ever which makes THESE the good old days! But, look back at 2010, even Dabo didn't have the blue chip ratio or coaches to "refuse to lose"

Re: So how did it get there?

Mar 30, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to So how did it get there? ]

That is the point to this post, Dabo is a special talent. A talent not shared by many other coaches!

Talent, Coaching, Chemistry & Leadership

Mar 30, 2019, 12:02 PM

A tricky combination that Dabo and BV cooked up in 2016 and 2018. It’s debatable where it starts and what the ratio of ingredients is ...

What’s undebatable is it took Dabo, Deshaun, BV, Mike Will, Gallman, HR13, and D to make it happen in 2016 and Dabo, BV, Christian, Power Rangers, TL, super WR’s, O-line, RB’s and stud D to make it happen in 2018. IMHO DW4 and CW42 are the best two Tiger leaders I can remember at least since 1979.

To your point Forest, hard work is a pre-requisite as well, but will not get the job done without talent. Some teams like Wake under Grobe and BC work their tails of but Tiger talent breaks their spirit by 3rd Qtr. Just my .02 cent.

The talent and coaching in 2019 is as strong as ever. Here’s hoping the player leadership & chemistry can measure up to the challenge. And as you say, also the work ethic ...That’s what Dabo and BV are working on ... Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"One ship drives east, the other west . . .

Mar 30, 2019, 12:17 PM

With the selfsame winds that blow.
'''Tis the set of the sails, not the gales
Which determines which way you go."

When the winds of a game blow against you, how do you react? Are you blown the direction the wind chooses or do you set your course inwardly and defy the wind?

FORESTTIGER asks, "Is this ability to set ones course teachable? Inherited? Learned by experience and failure, followed by correction? Is it as simple as following an example given?" . . . I believe "YES" is the answer.

The secret and hardest thing for coaches to determine in a prospect is his/her innate ability to set their inward sails and not be denied by the winds which prevail. Peering deep into the heart of a recruit takes time, perception, understanding and patience.

Evidently Coach Swinney has this gift. He has chosen his staff who have an ingrained basic understanding of this perception and he is able to build on it by example. They, in turn, recruit with a unified front to this end. Can you not see why our "offers" are limited? Why younger players are typically "not offered"? Coach Swinney's course takes time to see the "set of the sails" . . . a quality which resides in all of us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo only recruits ones that already have it, thats why

Jul 8, 2022, 3:25 PM

we will never have a #1 recruiting class

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2019, 1:01 PM

I can't determine if a player is giving it their all, all of the time or even a portion of the time. Only he/she can provide an honest answer. Many of us are quick to make a judgment call when we are not aware of the facts. We tend to demand perfection in others, forgetting that perfection is often times not easily obtained and most of the time is virtually impossible.

Baseball lends itself to providing us an opportunity to observe the performance of each individual. When a player makes an error does this imply he is not giving his all? Even the most skilled players are prone to committing errors.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic