Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tailgating TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Tailgating TV

Jun 25, 2013, 10:09 AM

At Clemson games I always see folks with TVs at their tailgates watching games from all over the country...

Who can suggest the best system and where a good place to shop for these is?

I think I might to try to get that going at our spot this year...

Thanks!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tailgating TV

Jun 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

It's easy to do but it will require a bit of planning- and patience if you're a first timer. First you need satellite coverage- most I've seen use Direct TV, but I suppose Dish would work as well. If you already have this at home you can "steal" a receiver box from that system. Of, simply add one that you would use, and pay for during football season. Before you go too far with this, you need to be sure you can "see" the satellite from where you tailgate. Lots of trees around Clemson( not a problem and Williams Brice!). Then you'll need to buy a dish and LMB. You can probably find them used at a local shop, but Solid Signal is a good source for this type equipment. Of course you need a TV, but these are now in abundant supply. Go for LED/LCD as these show much better than plasma outdoors. Finally, you either need 2 good marine batteries, or a generator.
If you're starting from zero this can be quite expensive: $1000 for the generator, $500 for the TV, $150 for the dish, and the satellite subscription at $6 per month minimum.
Good luck! Let me know if I can help further as we've been doing this for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can also use marine batteries to a power strip and elimi

Jun 25, 2013, 10:35 AM

nate the Generator

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

1st and most important-are you parking at a spot with signal

Jun 25, 2013, 10:33 AM

If you are using a dish, make sure that your parking spot is not under trees, and also can point a clear path to get signal. If you know where you are parking this year, do a test run.

I know a few years ago, when the lot we were in was first come first serve, we had to get there really early to get one of the few spots in that lot that was not blocked by trees and gave us a clear spot. But it was also on a down-slope so we had to stabilize it. These are not things you want to deal with on gameday.

Just my $.02

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: 1st and most important-are you parking at a spot with signal

Jun 25, 2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks JTiger and DownUnder....appreciate the advice!

no prob DownUnder can help more than me, i just know the

Jun 25, 2013, 10:44 AM

signal problem from personal experience

Best Is The Standard

the best system is to park next to one......***

Jun 25, 2013, 12:17 PM

Re: the best system is to park next to one......***

Jun 25, 2013, 2:12 PM

I agree ragtop! I'm that guy notorious for wandering over to the nearest tailgate TV and lingering just outside the tent, trying to watch whatever game is on....Lot 1 has quite a few...

Jun 25, 2013, 12:40 PM

If you are starting from scratch you can purchase this system from Dish. It finds the signal automatically.

http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-outdoors/?WT.svl=technologysubnav

Jun 25, 2013, 2:12 PM

Ok cool...I will do some research on that one...Thanks!

Jun 25, 2013, 3:29 PM

The Dish Tailgater is hands down the best thing to use. It auto-configures everything and offers perfect HD signal. I bought one for my father and he loved it last year. Dish also lets you sign up for service on a month by month basis so even if you aren't a customer year round it is something you can get for football season. Much cheaper than DirecTV as well.

You can use a receiver from any Dish Customer too - so if you don't want to sign up for service just use your buddy's extra receiver and keep his account # handy in case you need any customer support.

Just my opinion. With actually having night games this year a tv setup is a must have!

Is it football season yet???

Wow, month by month? thats awesome as we have month

Jun 25, 2013, 4:02 PM

stretches without a home game sometimes.

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic