Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taggart, FSU allegedly discussing buyout
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Taggart, FSU allegedly discussing buyout

Oct 21, 2019, 2:33 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Willie-Taggart-exit-strategy-being-discussed-Florida-State-Seminoles-buyout-hot-seat-137308161/Amp/

Taggart could be gone by wednesday

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taggart, FSU allegedly discussing buyout

Oct 21, 2019, 2:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 21, 2019, 2:44 PM

And since Dallas rebounded and won last night, FSU can go after Urban Meyer.

Urban is holding out for the USC job***

Oct 21, 2019, 2:46 PM

Can't see Urb going back to coach is former rival...

Oct 21, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Taggart, FSU allegedly discussing buyout ]

It's all love between him and Florida so don't see him messing that up.

But FSU is still a great job. Most good coaches would sign up for it in a heartbeat.

Re: Can't see Urb going back to coach is former rival...

Oct 21, 2019, 6:05 PM

You couldn't be more wrong about Meyer and UF.

Re: Can't see Urb going back to coach is former rival...

Oct 21, 2019, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Can't see Urb going back to coach is former rival... ]

Why would you think he was talking about the coot job?

17 million + whatever your going to pay the

Oct 21, 2019, 2:47 PM

New coach to come. Hmm..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 2:52 PM

Whoa! Time out. I think FSU and the dirtpeckers need to pump the brakes on this coach-canning talk. No need for rash decision making. It’s going to get better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 2:54 PM

I have read that the dollar cost of buying out the whole staff is >$20 million.

They will have to negotiate that down to be able to afford it.

Contrary to what many think, the FSU AD is not flush with cash.

There are a number of reasons for that which extend far beyond a couple of bad years of football. Among them is that FSU has a far smaller base of "breadwinners" to support its AD. Historically, FSU was a women's college (my grandmother was a grad), and men who generated higher income went to UF. Only in fairly recent history has the number of male graduates increased significantly. UF's resources dwarf those of FSU.

Part of Jimbo's issue with FSU was the lack of will and funds to build a $100m football facility. There is also the dilemma of lack of space for the facility, which drives up cost. As the father of a recent FSU student athlete, I can tell you FSU is easily 15-20 years behind Clemson in this. All their sports teams utilize the same training and lifting facilities. That's crazy for a team with FSU's national profile. And if it is not remedied, it doesn't help going forward.

I wish FSU could provide a strong rivalry for us. But I honestly believe they are going to have to find their own "Dabo" to turn things around...someone they can get at a bargain price who will knock it out of the park when he gets his chance. Winning fixes everything. They've got to win again to be able to afford to win more. Which is exactly the formula Clemson found with Dabo.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:27 PM

It's not a lump-sum buyout, though. They would just continue to pay him monthly for the next few years. It's still a lot of money, but they don't have to be dripping with cash to afford it.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:11 PM

"I don't think it happens today. I don't think it happens tomorrow. I think once that window closes in the next 24-48 hours, we're going to see Willie Taggart coach again at Florida state unless something gets announced in the next 24 hours. Yeah, I do see a scenario where that happens."

Ok.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:21 PM

Assuming the story is legit: Now that the cat is out of the bag, it's seem certain he'll be gone this week. The entire dynamic of the football team will change and players won't view him the same way.

And Wake Forest may take down another one...

Oct 21, 2019, 3:31 PM

Seems like if you are Clemson or FSU and you lose to Wake, your job will probably be near the end...

Oct 21, 2019, 3:35 PM

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I see that FSU is supposed to have a lot of talent, and their record doesn't come close to reflecting that.

On the other hand, they went 5-7 the year before he took over, and people have said that Fisher left a lot of issues behind there, and Taggart is barely halfway through his 2nd season there.

Taggart's overall record as a head coach is poor, but he's shown a history of improving his record in years 2 and 3 with his past teams. He was 2-10 in his 1st year at Western Kentucky, and then went 7-5 in the next 2 years. He was 2-10 in his 1st year at South Florida, then 4-8, then 8-5, and then 10-2 in his last season. He was only at Oregon for one season so it's hard to judge his performance there.

He went 5-7 in his first year at FSU, and he's 3-4 now with a pretty good chance of improving on the record from last year. They also appear much more competitive this season with every loss except for the one against us being by 7 points or less. Compare that to last season when they lost 6 games by 19 or more points. I know it's FSU and they expect more, but it seems that many of their fans never wanted to give him a fair chance to begin with which contributes to player morale and recruiting.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:51 PM

3-4 should not be acceptable for them. Only three losses they should take in stride is OC opponent (top ten team only), Clemson, and UF (should be a win but on down year is an acceptable loss)

Willie is a dead man walking

Oct 21, 2019, 3:37 PM

If his sucky coaching didnt hurt recruiting, this def will.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:49 PM

I could see it after the season if FSU does not go to a bowl and probably his buyout cost lowers in January.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just like Tommy Bowden at Clemson, I believe this loss to

Oct 21, 2019, 5:50 PM

Wake Forest was the final nail in the coffin. I honestly thought they would blow Wake off the field. (It cost me in the Donor Pickem, too!) They just do not seem to be improving, or buying into whatever system he is trying to sell them. Criminole alumni are NOT used to losing to teams of Weak Florist ilk, after running roughshod over the ACC for so many years.

But, the question becomes, who replaces him? They better have a slam dunk waiting in the wings to justify paying a $17 million buyout. The only name I can think of that would be vain enough to come in and think he could immediately right the ship would be Urbane Meyer. And, history should tell them they don't want to go down that road, they would be looking again for a coach in three or four years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic