Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,089

TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball'

Oct 24, 2018, 3:48 PM

Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball'

Former Clemson defensive back T.J. Green has stepped away from a professional football career, per Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. Green was drafted by the Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball'

Oct 24, 2018, 9:18 PM

I don't understand this? Is he happy with $800k he made or is he just tired of hard work? Seems like he was pretty good player? Or is he part of the new age that feels like they are owed everything and will walk away to pout about it hoping someone calls?? I hope it isn't that but he has a few yrs of great income opportunity to make money. Time to quit is about 36mos too soon for being financially secure

Help me understand...

Oct 24, 2018, 9:57 PM

TJ seems to have made the best decision for him. He was injured and that plays #### on the mind of professional athletes.

Seems very simple minded to say he quit b/c he didn't live up to your expectations.

Why all the hate?

Oct 24, 2018, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball' ]

We have no idea what really happened here. Who knows he doesn’t want to work?!? Seems he’s proven he can work. Whatever his reasons I’m sure he’s making the decision he think is best for him. I wish him well.

Oct 25, 2018, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball' ]

Tiger Big Bass, your statement really does speak to who you are

Oct 25, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball' ]

I've been fortunate to have a few friends that were Clemson football players - several of them are/were pretty big names and went on to play in the NFL. In the end, all of them lasted less than 2 years or so. I don't think it's possible for the average man to comprehend the grueling regimen these athletes go through to compete at that level. CONSTANT workouts, conditioning, weightlifting and reviewing film (We're talking 16-18 hrs a day, 7 days a week, year-round). That lifestyle is completely unforgiving and leaves no prisoners. I've been to their family gatherings where they were too sore to play bocce ball or hold their kids, dinners where they just laid there and passed around a bottle of Excedrin (that seriously happened, and was probably the single biggest eye opener).

We're not in that life and we don't get it - all we see is the flash and the huge paychecks. What we don't see is never-ending pain, an unimaginable amount of stress and struggling to stay ahead and make a name for yourself to provide for your family, while also watching a constant treadmill of younger, faster kids more than willing to ###### that career and paycheck from you.

Watch Hard Knocks one season, and how much of a meat market it is and how those coaches treat their players. "Hey, how's the family - the wife and kids? Good? Awesome. Well, tell them that it's nothing personal, but their dad just lost his job today. Your stuff is waiting for you in a box in the parking lot. We wish you the best. Bye." - it's literally just like that. And eventually EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in the NFL will go through it.

One of my best friends was a decorated Clemson player (we all know his name) and he went through that. I kept prodding him to just try a bit harder, give it another shot. He'd excelled in every sport he'd ever known, started every game for us - his athleticism was something I couldn't imagine and (my thought was) with just a little more willpower, he'd be the next superstar. But, in the end he also walked away from it. And I could tell my conversations with him were bothering him, yet he never mentioned it. I'm sure he heard it from all of his friends and family - and every one of those conversations made him feel like a failure. I backed off, he walked away and is now happier than I've ever seen him.

So - the grass is always greener.. We'll never comprehend what those guys are going through and the amount of stress and pain they put their bodies through. I think if you were a Deshaun, a Nuk or any of the other top-tier athletes we watch on Sportscenter week after week, it's maybe easier to stick it through and do what you have to do to keep collecting those checks. But, when you're a fringe athlete for an NFL team and are walking a fine line between starting on Sundays and riding a bus for peanuts in a non-name Canadian league, it clears up what's really important and in the end, there's more to life than sacrificing your body for a career you know won't last more than at best, a few more seasons.

So, if TJ Green made the decision that it's not for him anymore, all we can do is wish him well, hope for the best and congratulate him for the sacrifices he made for us during his time as a Tiger. If he never sees another football, he's still excelled further on the field than any of us will ever touch. I've seen first-hand, that it's not our place to judge them for that decision.

Oct 25, 2018, 10:42 AM

I agree with everything completely. I have one friend and another close acquaintance where both played in the NFL for a short period before leaving hastened by injuries. Sounds like similar to your friends. Both played years ago and neither seems to have any regrets from walking away, probably because doing otherwise probably would have just been delaying the inevitable. They used the degrees that they got out of football, and have had what any normal person would consider a successful life. You are 100% correct that it is a 24/7/365 lifestyle, especially these days. Hopefully, Mr. Green will use what he has earned, as well as what he has learned, and continue on with a comfortable life having no regrets.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:05 AM

Yep - sounds like we know the same person. Then again, for every one superstar, there are a thousand stories just like that.

Re: TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball'***

Oct 24, 2018, 9:18 PM

Re: TNET: Seahawks coach: Former Clemson DB 'done playing ball'***

Oct 24, 2018, 11:16 PM

Glad TJ was able to parley his great speed into a second round pick in spite of all his blown coverages in the natty.

Sure is unfortunate when a second year player has to take an injury settlement.

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,089
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic