Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Hunter Johnson decides on his new school
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

TNET: Hunter Johnson decides on his new school

Jun 11, 2018, 3:21 PM

Hunter Johnson decides on his new school

Clemson sophomore quarterback Hunter Johnson had decided on his next school. The former 5-star quarterback will transfer to Northwestern according to a team rel Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lets go Wildcats!***

Jun 11, 2018, 3:28 PM

Best of Luck to Hunter

Jun 11, 2018, 3:28 PM

Hunter is an awesome young man. If it weren't for the fact that our QB competition is full of awesome young men, he'd be our starter soon enough. However, I completely respect his decision given that T. Lawrence was likely going to pass him. He very well may be the second best young QB in the nation... problem is we also had the first.

Hope he succeeds at Northwestern up and until the point that we have to knock them out of the playoffs. GO HUNTER!

More importantly, GO TIGERS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just a supah, great, great kid.

Jun 11, 2018, 3:29 PM

O'course, like l said, is a fine football player and an even better person. The kinda young man you're proud to have representin' your program

Re: TNET: Hunter Johnson decides on his new school

Jun 11, 2018, 3:33 PM

Best of luck Hunter - sorry things didn't work out for you here. I always wanted to see what you could do as our team leader. Anyway, go win a B1G title in 2019. I'm rooting for you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 6:26 PM

I still don't have a clue to why he wasn't given a chance in our playoff game against Bama. The what if will forever remain in my thoughts, and I'm sure it will be the same for thousands of other Tiger FB fans!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 3:35 PM

Good luck Hunter. I wish you would have stayed at Clemson but
I understand. A QB with your talent doesn't need to be on the
bench.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet they only get a year from him

Jun 11, 2018, 3:40 PM

He will be draft elligible after the one year he plays and I suspect he will light it up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 3:55 PM

Add me as a new Northwestern fan now. Which is tough for me to say bc I think it was their players that started the dumb EA sports lawsuit and ruined NCAA football game.

Jun 11, 2018, 4:05 PM

We had a guy who was one of the primary plantiff's too. I can't remember who but I think there were 9 guys who brought the suit.

Jun 11, 2018, 4:19 PM

Xenotiger said:

We had a guy who was one of the primary plantiff's too. I can't remember who but I think there were 9 guys who brought the suit.

Martin Jenkins...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 8:00 PM

I’m 99% sure it was Darius Robinson

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Darius Robinson, not Jenkins***

Jun 11, 2018, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Hunter Johnson decides on his new school ]

Jun 11, 2018, 4:15 PM

I too wish he had stayed. He has exceptional talent. Hope to see him again, playing at the next level.

Jun 11, 2018, 4:15 PM

Shouldn't have happened, would have been better than bryan at back up or possibly starter

Good luck young man,

I wish we would give this young man a full release especially since we will most likely never see him on the field. I think its a bit of a shame Belk gets to play while he will sit a year.

Jun 11, 2018, 4:22 PM

They did give him an unconditional release. If Belk wants to play next year he has to get a waiver from the NCAA, which is where the "family health" excuse if coming from.

Whew. Glad it wasn’t Duke.

Just kidding. Northwestern is getting a great kid. They will be the team I’m rooting for in the Big the next couple of years.

Re: Whew. Glad it wasn’t Duke.

Jun 12, 2018, 8:41 AM

Yep, Northwestern will be my second favorite team starting in 2019(as long as Hunter is there).
After that, I won't have a 2nd fav team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 4:23 PM

Seemed to be a wonderful young man! Wish him nothing but the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope he dominates the B1G for three years.

Jun 11, 2018, 4:26 PM

I'd love to see him playing in the playoff. I'm so sorry we had no place to play him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice choice HJ wish you the best buddy***

Jun 11, 2018, 4:34 PM

Hate to see such a great kid have to leave our program

Jun 11, 2018, 4:43 PM

Hope he breaks records there.

Jun 11, 2018, 4:51 PM

Wishing the absolute best to this wonderful young man. So sorry to lose him from Clemson but he has too much talent to sit on the bench. Hoping for every success for him and appreciate the grace he showed in handling this situation.

An Excellent academic institution, several football seasons

Jun 11, 2018, 5:11 PM

recently, the Wildcats seemed (to me) to be just a little short on talent or maybe just short one difference maker to the best teams in the Big10/11. Hopefully Hunter can be that guy that gets NW to the Rose Bowl....or maybe even the CFP.

Regardless of the football team's results, he'll still have that Northwestern diploma for the rest of his life---and to be honest---thats the one aspect of Mr. Belk's decision I'll never comprehend. Play 1st string or not, he'd have still had a piece of paper far more valuable than the one he'll get if he is actually graduated from usuck......But if young Mr. Belk's decision is OK with Coach Swinney, we should all trust our HC enough for Belk's choice to be OK with us as well

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I guess I will start pulling for Northwestern as a

Jun 11, 2018, 5:12 PM

lesser fan.

Best of luck, Hunter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Great program for a great young man!

Jun 11, 2018, 5:40 PM

Go get ‘EM Hunter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NW replaces the Hogs as my 2nd favorite team

Jun 11, 2018, 6:51 PM

What a great choice. Exceptional education, maybe the 2nd best football facility in the nation, Pat Fitzgerald is a lesser version of Dabo but still a refreshing alternative to the typical head coach in the NCAA.

Apparently his brother was a backup WR there***

Jun 11, 2018, 8:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a great choice. Exceptional education, maybe the 2nd best football facility in the nation, Pat Fitzgerald is a lesser version of Dabo but still a refreshing alternative to the typical head coach in the NCAA.

Dang I was hoping he went to Duke so I was more likely to wa

Jun 11, 2018, 6:53 PM

watch him play. I hope he really screws things up for those BIG teams! I wish him the BEST!!!

Re: Dang I was hoping he went to Duke so I was more likely to wa

Jun 12, 2018, 4:59 PM

Most of the B1G doesn't know what a forward pass is, so yeah, he'll do alright.

I do hope we get to see him beat the crap out of Maryland sometime in his career.

Johnson = Belk

Jun 11, 2018, 7:00 PM

Oh, nevermind... Belk had family reasons to leave, Hunter just left.. ??

Re: Johnson = Belk

Jun 11, 2018, 8:33 PM

Guess I will be able to ses this young man at NW. Only a 30-45 minute drive for me. Only go when the Tigers are on a bye week.

Not even remotely close

Jun 12, 2018, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Johnson = Belk ]

Belk didn't have family reasons, he had "family reasons." He was also going to get plenty of playing time here at in 2019 once Wilkins, Lawrence, and Huggins leave. He's now sitting out 2018 at SCAR to play there in 2019 so it's not like he's fast tracking his career. He basically just quit on Clemson and went to our biggest rival.

It's very clear why Hunter Johnson is leaving and i don't fault him for it one bit. Only 1 QB can play at a time and he didn't think he was going to get to play at Clemson. He was a 5-star recruit with aspirations of playing in the NFL and it's far more likely that he achieves that by starting for NW than backing up Bryant and ultimately Lawrence at Clemson.

Simply put, Belk would've had his sophomore season and beyond to compete for the starting job at Clemson and if he was as good as his ranking out of HS he would've done so. Hunter Johnson was stuck behind what most see as a generational QB talent at Clemson and there's a good chance he never would've started.

Re: Not even remotely close

Aug 28, 2023, 10:10 PM

If Belk's reasons for transferring weren't legit (and I have no reason to think they weren't), then he's their problem now. 5-stars or not, we don't need any prima donnas. We turned a 2-star into a Pro Bowler, we'll be OK.

Hunter Johnson didn't develop quickly enough to take the starting job last season (which is totally normal), and then TL showed up. He'll never see the field if TL stays healthy. I can't blame him for transferring at all.

Jun 11, 2018, 10:10 PM

Who would have ever dreamed we could let a young man with this much character and talent walk.
Wish him nothing but the best.
Appreciate his commitment and hard work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2018, 4:56 PM

We have an embarrassment of riches.

Good luck young man.***

Jun 11, 2018, 10:31 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Best of luck Hunter!

Jun 11, 2018, 10:57 PM

Never any doubt you are destined for greatness! Too bad it isn't for our Tigers, but you'll shine despite that!

GO HUNTER!!

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger! Go Hunter J and go Wildcats!***

Jun 12, 2018, 7:56 AM

CONGARTS HUNTER YULE ALWAYS BE A TIGERCAT!!!***

Jun 12, 2018, 8:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate to see him go. I thought he was #1 out of spring***

Jun 12, 2018, 8:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate to see him go. I thought he was #1 out of spring***

Jun 12, 2018, 6:15 PM

Northwestern has some incredible new facilities located right on Lake Michigan with awesome views of downtown Chicago. Great new practice field right by the water, too. Great education as well. Hunter is probably the best recruit they've ever brought in.
Things could get really interesting in the Big 10 with the situation in the west. Scott Frost at Nebraska, PJ Fleck at Minnesota and Jeff Brohm at Purdue will be tough.

Jun 17, 2018, 10:18 AM

Greeting fellow feline fanatics. This Hungary Jack of Northwestern Wildcat fandom. I have been a closet Clemson fan since I was 11 years old and saw Woody Hayes punch that poor kid and thought "Those Clemson guys are pretty cool for not beating up that old man." Then you guys went and beat the evil empire with DeShaun Skywalker. Coach Dabo seems like a great guy.

Needless to say, we are tickled purple to welcome Hunter Johnson to our program. Reading all of the accolades here only heightens the excitement. I have not been this excited since I watched Pat Benetar single-handedly defeat 41 Nazi stooges in her smash hit music video "Shadows of the Night." Or maybe since Primus gave us that "Winona's Big Brown Beaver" video with those crazy outfits.

I invite you all to join Northwestern Wildcat fandom. We are a small school (about 9,000 undergrads), so we struggle with attendance at times. Chicago is a pro sports town first, but the Bears have been doing their best to promote the college game with their brand of crappy football. Chicago is a GREAT city to visit, and Dyche stadium is a very good place to watch a game.

Good luck this season. I can assure you that Hunter will be in good hands in Evanston.

Jun 17, 2018, 10:32 PM

Yes Hunter is gonna be a good one, he's a class act and i will be pulling for northwestern to win the big 10 soon. Yes it's a good time to be a tiger and I'm just enjoying the ride.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic